PDA

View Full Version : oil catch tank

peester
14-01-11, 07:57 PM
Hi. Im currently using an old empty plastic soft drink bottle to collect from the rocker cover..
All its ever seemed to have caught so far is fuel-fumed smelling water vapour, i think.. probably moisture.
Is this not very air tight setup possibly allowing moisture down the pipes into the engine..?
Best get rid?

All oil catch tanks ive seen are massive litre tanks - ill only need a small tub-like thing..

Anyway, if people agree/have had experience with this - just wonder what they think..
Shall i use empty beer can? lol

Balley
14-01-11, 08:03 PM
Just put the pipe in the chassis legs :) Free wax oil !

peester
14-01-11, 08:07 PM
lol.. got plenty of that already..

phazer
14-01-11, 08:10 PM
Mine, while technically naughty is run down and tied off at roll bar level. As long as you make sure the fumes don't come into the cabin doesn't really matter.

After a good run when the car's parked up in the garage one or two drips of moisture run down the pipe. Obviously if the rings have gone you'll get a lot more blow by.

peester
14-01-11, 08:32 PM
nah im sure the engine is fine, i just meant leaving pipes open/not air tight maybe allows moisture to get into the engine..?

Lewis.
14-01-11, 08:39 PM
well catch tanks are vented, and if the breather goes back to the air cleaner then they are not air tight either. the water will just be a bit of condensation from when the engines warming up, nothing to worry about

AlexW
14-01-11, 08:48 PM
If you made your bottle airtight, it would cause rocker cover/oil cap to start spewing out oil.

peester
14-01-11, 09:23 PM
ok well, maybe getting a little misunderstood but no worries - true i have seen little breather filters on catch tanks; as long as the general concessus is theres no real issue with gappy/bodged catch tanks letting moisture into/under rocker cover then no worries..

AlexW
14-01-11, 09:29 PM
I wouldn't worry about it at all tbh. Prob get the same in a catch tank but you just cant see inside one of those.