PDA

View Full Version : someone must know whats up with my Sri

waynes sri
13-01-11, 07:22 PM
right guys as you may have read in this post http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161668ad
about how this ****ing nova is doing my nut well heres were i stand at the mo and am sure someone must know the problem...right new h.t leads and a new dizzy car fires up runs lumpy and misses when you drive it so pull the map sensor out and runs rich but sweet and drives just as good.that was at the weekend so today got a brand new map sensor plugs it in and the ******* wont even start just turning over so put old one in just in case still nothing..keep tryin and tryin checked its sparking which it is..then on the last try it fires but wont run with out revs as is lumpy as **** at this point its stinking of fuel.but as it as old map sensor on i at to try the other so off it went turn the key and guess what:mad: wont start again so ive left it with plugs out as the bores are soaked with fuel and as grey smokey fumes coming out off the carb lol...so what the **** is up with this car as now thats it i have no idea???????????:confused:

phazer
13-01-11, 07:37 PM
It won't start as it's flooding with fuel, you'll need new plugs now and be careful otherwise you'll suffer bore wash. I would suggest an oil change is on the cards also.

If disconnecting the map sensor makes it run ok then it has to be sensor related. Disconnecting a main sensor will put the ECU into 'limp home' mode where it runs a fixed fuel rich map.

You need to carefully check all of the wiring to:
MAP
Lambda
CTS (Coolant Temp sensor, on the thermostat)
IAT (Intake Air Temp sensor, on the right hand side of the plenum grey plug IIRC)

If that's ok, then check *all* of the vacuum hoses very very carefully, including the one to the fuel reg.

Then with new plugs, swap the map sensor to the new one and try firing it again. If it's no good, then change the CTS, then the IAT and finally the lambda until you get it running good.

p.s for cheapness while testing you could 'burn off' the plugs with a blow torch - don't run them once you sort the problem but it'll help you keep testing quickly.

db_1.2
13-01-11, 07:39 PM
Map sensor on a carb? They do a carb Sri?

You checked timing?

waynes sri
13-01-11, 07:43 PM

You checked timing? not carb no but cant think what its called lol...timing should be fine well it all shound be really run eveywere in it parked it up few months ago put a new batt on and get this lot
and phazer thanks your a massive help

phazer
13-01-11, 08:52 PM
No worries mate. Hope you get it sorted :thumb:

phazer
13-01-11, 08:53 PM

You checked timing?

That'd be throttle body/plenum....but you knew what he mean't surely?!

I suspect the belt hasn't jumped as it runs ok with sensors disconnected. If it was a mech fault it would run crap regardless wouldn't it?

db_1.2
13-01-11, 09:30 PM
That'd be throttle body/plenum....but you knew what he mean't surely?!

I suspect the belt hasn't jumped as it runs ok with sensors disconnected. If it was a mech fault it would run crap regardless wouldn't it?

I was just making sure everyone was reading from the same page :)

Yeh that's true, so that's that out the window

waynes sri
13-01-11, 10:01 PM
Yea timing etc is fine as when you unplug it runs fine..i think im now thinkin it could be the temp sensor as wen it was runin at weekend it would splutter as if it had chuck some fuel in.which temp would probley say it was cold when warm etc a guess im guna price a temp up tomoz

waynes sri
14-01-11, 07:38 PM
got a temp sensor today so that will be a job for the weekend and hopefully will have a couple of mates poping up to take a look as they know more than me.wanted 20 quid for temp sensor but in end got one for a fiver better lol

waynes sri
16-01-11, 05:04 PM
big thanks to w88rdy 1st off for coming to mine yesterday and checkin over the nova fault findin and we found the fault all this time its the sensor on the revver lol...but w88rdy was sound and let me have his off is gsi to try so just fired it up and its sweet:thumb:

pikey1986
16-01-11, 05:10 PM
great news pal

w88rdy
16-01-11, 06:14 PM
Revver ! lmao Wayne you are so mechanically minded lol

phazer
16-01-11, 07:20 PM
Crank Sensor!...must have been royally fooked! Glad you got it sorted in the end though.

davidfox280585
16-01-11, 09:00 PM
i thought on the revver must mean the throttle position sensor

phazer
16-01-11, 09:03 PM
Well I suppose he could mean that, I can't remember if it is a real TPS or just a switch on the SRi though. Could be the idle stepper too. Though I have to say symtoms given don't suggest any of those immediately IME.

waynes sri
16-01-11, 09:20 PM
Revver ! lmao Wayne you are so mechanically minded lol ok paul throttle position sensor i just forgot what it was called its a big word for me..and now im keeping yours for that...wardy tuned tho lol

waynes sri
16-01-11, 09:21 PM
Well I suppose he could mean that, I can't remember if it is a real TPS or just a switch on the SRi though. Could be the idle stepper too. Though I have to say symtoms given don't suggest any of those immediately IME. we did think idle stepper but that was goin to be 2nd thing to do lol

w88rdy
16-01-11, 09:22 PM
Yes lads it was the tps that wasnt working correctly and causing allsorts of fun lol.

It didnt stand out to begin with but after checking everything else it was a last option and changing it has totally changed the cars behaviour = Result lol

waynes sri
16-01-11, 09:31 PM
Yes lads it was the tps that wasnt working correctly and causing allsorts of fun lol.

It didnt stand out to begin with but after checking everything else it was a last option and changing it has totally changed the cars behaviour = Result lol ye lots of fun that was i have no faith in that car.but you saw how it was when we 1st had a go at starting it yesterday well a fitted your part and i knew it had worked as it started so fast:thumb:

phazer
16-01-11, 09:37 PM
At least it was nothing major in the end. Get your plugs swapped though :thumb:

May be worth an oil change if *that* much fuel was going in? Just in case any made its way to the sump.

waynes sri
16-01-11, 09:41 PM
At least it was nothing major in the end. Get your plugs swapped though :thumb:

May be worth an oil change if *that* much fuel was going in? Just in case any made its way to the sump.ye mate oils on its way do you think plugs are a must as there not too bad to be fair??

w88rdy
16-01-11, 10:10 PM
for sake of a few quid mate i would change em

waynes sri
16-01-11, 10:24 PM
for sake of a few quid mate i would change em cant i just have yours out of gsi lol

w88rdy
16-01-11, 10:38 PM
No there they would make it tooo fast ha ha

Tight cnut

waynes sri
16-01-11, 10:49 PM
No there they would make it tooo fast ha ha

Tight cnut blah blah tooo fast these 1.4 SRIs eat Gsis girls models!! lol..ill get some before you start lol

waynes sri
21-01-11, 07:23 PM
just a little update fitted the new part yesterday change the oil and filter and a set new plugs and she runs sweet as a nut lol..thanks to dad for doing this while i was at work lol..also when we took one plug out it just shatted not that old either good job they did get change and when the oil came out it was black as fook so guess all that petrol flushed some crap out as oil werent that old.but i will say it sounds alot deeper and more perky now:thumb:

phazer
21-01-11, 09:33 PM
Sorted :thumb: