PDA

View Full Version : who can help mebuild 2 websites???

mowgli
13-01-11, 06:59 PM
as above.. as most of you regulars know, i am something of a luddite...basically if it isn't b/w, mono and imperial, i struggle a bit....

we need to build 2 websites for work. we already have domains sorted out, and apparently our it bloke has codes, but i need some help in plain english...

we can compose material for pages, but can anyone actually help me out on how to actually make it into a decent web page??? and then do 2 websites & link them

(usual mowgli rules on this) if anyone answers with too much techy speak, i'll hunt you down & slap you with a wet fish,

wwmnw
13-01-11, 07:03 PM
You need to upload the PHP files onto the server using an FTP client.

mowgli
13-01-11, 07:05 PM
i'm off to the fishmonger....... you'd better watch your back, bathfart

wwmnw
13-01-11, 07:08 PM
lol download one of these FTP (http://www.google.co.uk/#sclient=psy&hl=en&safe=off&q=ftp+client&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&pbx=1&fp=de610b7113b09eab) create an username and password on the server you're going to use, upload PHP files, or something like that.

mowgli
13-01-11, 07:10 PM
http://patcheswholesale.com/images/SpeakEnglish.jpg

bmw156
13-01-11, 07:14 PM
front page express is a good basic old programme. where you drag and drop pictures, write text where you want. and then it makes the html code for you.

im sure there is a new name/version for it.

there are also numerous sites around the web offering templates to use so you can just insert your pics etc. most of these templates will come with some crap at the bottom saying xxxxx template.

once you have a domain its not to hard :)

wwmnw
13-01-11, 07:17 PM
Notepad does a good job too lol to keep things simple though there are things like Dream weaver which is simple to use.

bmw156
13-01-11, 07:20 PM
Notepad does a good job too lol to keep things simple though there are things like Dream weaver which is simple to use.

get out of town lol. it was hard to use yonks ago.

and its not easy to get legally!

wwmnw
13-01-11, 07:49 PM
I found it quite simple :)

Lee
13-01-11, 07:52 PM
http://1.2.3.9/bmi/englishcafecdn.englishcafe.com/files/images/olddog1_1_.preview.post.jpg

mowgli
13-01-11, 08:11 PM
old dog...... sounds fair enough....

Prey
13-01-11, 08:16 PM
If you have web page files ie .html .php etc then its just a case of uploading them to the hosting space (ftp program for this) stick in username, ftp address and password and drag and drop like a folder.

If you need a website doing then the best thing you can do is make sure your hosting has php and mysql and install wordpress (5 min install - like a program install) then pick a free theme and away you go - just copy and paste your text into the wordpress admin panel.

Prey
13-01-11, 08:18 PM
oh and dreamweaver/frontpage/serif/whatever top level drag and drop editor you can get is waaaaay overkill and just bloated for what you actually need!

Dar
13-01-11, 08:22 PM
Mowgli, how computer literate are you?

There are plenty of free programs out there that will let you build web pages the same way you would create a word document. So if you can use word then you will be competent enough to use one of these.

I have just set someone up with a free html editor (www.pagebreeze.com) and also a free FTP program (Core FTP lite).

You build the web pages using the html editor and use the FTP program up upload them to your website.

PM me if you want more help, get stuck etc and I will send you my number. I will be able to talk you through it easy enough.

mowgli
13-01-11, 08:29 PM
dar, unlike you, i have to stay on the outside of a computer box....

my worry is that

1. i've never done a website before
2. its an attempt to create a professional looking shop window for our 2 firms
3. i don't want it to look really shoite, like most small company websites do
4. i don't want to make us the laughing stock of the area....

i'm accepting all decent plain english advice & i appreciate your help...

if somebody asked me to sort out their drainage or house extension, i'm your man, same if they have a tractor/lorry/digger broken down, and if they need something delivering, i'll sort them... my last 25 years have been doing everything except computers, the last really techy thing i did on a computer was saved on a c90 cassette......

Dar
13-01-11, 08:40 PM
If they want "professional looking shop window for our 2 firms" why the hell are you having a crack at it?
Has there been any design work done? or was it, we need a website done....who's got a computer?

On the plus side if you download one of the free HTML editors and have a crack at it and it's ****e you don't have to publish it. So there is no harm at all in having a go. You never know you might like it.......although I doubt you will :d

mowgli
13-01-11, 08:44 PM
If they want "professional looking shop window for our 2 firms" why the hell are you having a crack at it?
Has there been any design work done? or was it, we need a website done....who's got a computer?

On the plus side if you download one of the free HTML editors and have a crack at it and it's ****e you don't have to publish it. So there is no harm at all in having a go. You never know you might like it.......although I doubt you will :d

dar i walked into the office to see my brother being dazzled by some muppet in a snazzy suit talking all techy, and after he left, my brother says it'll only cost a grand or so to get the web pages done......

at this point, i nearly choked..... we have 2 small companies, 1 needs a 3 pager with an email address link, the other needs maybe 8 pages, 6 of which are gallery stuff....and it will be done with our words, design & pics, thus i don't think its beyond me to try & do it.

Hayley
13-01-11, 08:52 PM
I love reading the threads about computer related stuff.. its like trying to read chinese. :confused:

Considering I have a job where I have 3 computer screens on my desk, Im soooo illiterate with them.

Prey
13-01-11, 08:53 PM
wordpress.org

5 minute install, yes 5 minutes - im not joking.

Pick a free theme and customise the graphics if you want - yes it will look professional, no it wont be unique but it will be free and work properly.

Or pay someone to do it.

Dar
13-01-11, 08:58 PM
Indeed, well worth trying.

Your next step is to download a html authoring program and have a stab at it. Feel free to ask if you can't work out how to do something. You are right in thinking it's not that hard. Simple web pages are easy to create. It only starts getting technical when you want to start doing fancy things.

Prey
13-01-11, 09:01 PM
No offense but coding a website from scratch that works in every browser, cross platform, cross device, is reasonably standards compliant and looks professional isn't an easy task.

Simple web pages are easy, but thats the difference between a professional site and an amateur one.

Stuart
13-01-11, 09:16 PM
Mike, I can pass on details of a friend of mine if you like. He should be realistic about the costs etc if it is as simple as you say it is

Jack
14-01-11, 08:25 AM
I love reading the threads about computer related stuff.. its like trying to read chinese. :confused:

Considering I have a job where I have 3 computer screens on my desk, Im soooo illiterate with them.
Vista.

Word can make web pages too. Ok they won't be very good and the underlying code will be god-awful, but its a good place to begin if you're a complete novice.

IMO your best bet, if you're reaaaalllly unsure and can't get a pro to do it, is a simple one shot here is our company, here are our details. Better to have a simple, single page that looks basic but "clean", than have a horrendous looking site that either doesn't work or looks bad.

MK1_Ben
14-01-11, 06:24 PM
I work as an IT tech, and do some web-design on the side :)

Easiest way in plain English, you'll want to design what your site looks like. Basically draw it in Photoshop, buttons and all.

Then you "cut it up" into the individual sections, then using either code (which is probably above your level to just jump into :( ), or a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor, where you can quite literally drag the files into the position you want.

You then can link them (using the editor) to which page you want to link them too. Add all the content onto the page (will have built in text editors, the ability to upload images etc). Then you can save/export it, which will make it into .PHP / .HTML files and will usually have a folder called "images", which contains all the images.

Upload both to your server, if it's web-space they've bought from a provider, rather than their own server they have physical possession of it will usually come with a "CPANEL", which you can access online and upload all the files, then you're done.

Some versions of Cpanel even have a WYSIWYG editor built in, which could make it even easier.

Feel free to PM me specific questions and that :)

MK999
14-01-11, 06:31 PM
Mike, I can pass on details of a friend of mine if you like. He should be realistic about the costs etc if it is as simple as you say it is

Same here :thumb:

Couple of examples: http://www.spazstix.co.uk/home.php
http://www.bubbleandkick.com/

Can most likely get hold of him through the spaz stix site and just tell him I sent you, he'll also handle updating etc if needed.