PDA

View Full Version : Gear linkage slipping

Connor
12-01-11, 11:44 AM
I am having a problem with my gear linkage where it keeps slipping, and i would either lose reverse or 5th, its random aswell as it was fine for a week then slipped when i was parking, then once i undid the linkage and put it back into position it would last a couple of days then slip off again.
Any ideas why it keeps coming off?

mowgli
12-01-11, 12:16 PM
1. clean the crap out of where the 2 bits go together using something strong like a spirit, thinners or petrol.
2. tighten it up like your life depends on it, which it might.
3, if that fails try some loctite.

Prey
12-01-11, 02:16 PM
ive had a couple of the bolts that hold the linkage together bend and/or strip - could try put a new bolt in there?

Connor
12-01-11, 02:34 PM
Will investigate when i get chance and report back, but that sounds like it Al, as the bolt that i do up on the shifter shaft is bloody tight, hence the reason i have no idea how its slipping

Nobby
12-01-11, 07:30 PM
as mowgli said make sure theres no grease or snot round the shaft, if not take the 13mm nut out and get a longer 1 and tighten it u[ nice and tight then you should have some thread coming out the bottom put a nylock nut on it, just make sure that the bolt doesnt foul anywhere

NOVABOY8
12-01-11, 09:38 PM
i had this with my nova where in was a 4 speed then put 5 speed box.
i had to cut a small bit of the plastic off which is in the inside of the car under the gear gater it white plastic but you alone want a small bit eg 3mm off it on the drivers side.
if you dont want to do that you need a 5 speed gear sharf
i think hard to explain