PDA

View Full Version : Converting nova from petrol to diesel, whats needed?

XEjames
10-01-11, 08:22 PM
Hi all

Im after a td nova + they seem to be quite hard to come by
I missed out on one on ebay yesterday + cannot find anymore so im wondering how much is envolved in converting from petrol to diesel

I know the chassis leg is different due to the mount + the rad is bigger
Can i use the petrol fuel tank?
Is there a sparated diesel lift pump?
What about wiring?

Ill probably pick up a 1.7 td isuzu astra so engine, box + downpipe wont be a problem

Any thing else i should know about?

Cheers
James

AdamK
10-01-11, 08:25 PM
why:roll:

bazil
10-01-11, 08:25 PM
I have a brand new derv chassis leg for sale,

NOV4_SPORT
10-01-11, 08:38 PM
Loads of torque and mpg.

iain

XEjames
10-01-11, 08:38 PM

lol i never thought id go diesel either

Fuel costs, apart from a track nova only other car i have is a 3.9 v8 range rover + using that to go to work at 16mpg is getting painful with fuel costs shooting up

I want the nova for work + something i can make look smart + run veg oil with diesel + have even more £££ in my pocket, got to be isuzu due to wanting to run veg oil mix

Derestrict fuel pump, up the boost, front mount intercooler + exhaust + it should be on par if not a tad quicker than a gsi + still return 50mpg :)

James

XEjames
10-01-11, 08:40 PM
I have a brand new derv chassis leg for sale,

Hi mate, how much?

James

General Baxter
10-01-11, 08:40 PM

someone needs to learn the power of an izuzu engine lol

Jeff16v
10-01-11, 08:43 PM
just gave me an idea, C20 TDIlol

Balley
10-01-11, 09:06 PM
I know the chassis leg is different due to the mount + the rad is bigger.. You need the rad, fan and all the coolant pipes
Can i use the petrol fuel tank? Yeah you could
Is there a sparated diesel lift pump?Its in the diesel pump
What about wiring? you need to wiring in a glow plug relay, stop solinoid and starter

Ill probably pick up a 1.7 td isuzu astra so engine, box + downpipe wont be a problem. You will need 1500 timing covers, cambelt kit!! oil cooler, alternator mounts, down pipe, some kind of boost pipe set up.. a 1700 will need a Intercooler as they run much hotter.. you need big block conversion shafts and mount. Td clock , td fuel filter. header tank. think thats it

Nobby
10-01-11, 09:11 PM
veg oil aint cheaper anymore plus it blocks things up - £1.59 for tescos own just bin and done me shopping lol

total_vauxhall
10-01-11, 09:18 PM
i have an isuzu 1.5 td out of a nova for sale mate if your intrested i did the conversion into a mk2 astra had to weld a strip of the nova chassis leg onto the astra one + wired a switch up for the heaterplugs and that was about it pritty straight forward . tbh aswell i would use the 1.5td they seem to go a alot better . also the one im selling has just had a new alternator put on . this is a common problem on them and the alternators aint cheap. 60 quid for the motor cheers dan

Balley
10-01-11, 09:19 PM
1.5td revs faster because the flywheel is smaller, the 1.7 is still faster just dont rev to 6000rpm :(

total_vauxhall
10-01-11, 09:24 PM
yea my little green nova td used to pull away from standard saxo vts's and the likes off all day.. imo they are just as much fun as a gsi

Count Vaux Alot
10-01-11, 10:12 PM

you obviously had no experience of one

Derick-Sport
11-01-11, 07:17 PM
i would have a td nova over any other standard engine in a nova. they are awesome fun, easy as ABC to get going fast! you need to experience one the bug bites

Jack
12-01-11, 08:40 AM
Was talking to spudders the other day about dervs actually. Was looking at an LPG'd Omega, but when you consider the shonky mpg of LPG it worked out better to run diesel (miles-per-£ anyway).

Admittedly the Omega was an MV6 but still lol

amggsi
12-01-11, 08:54 AM
Was talking to spudders the other day about dervs actually. Was looking at an LPG'd Omega, but when you consider the shonky mpg of LPG it worked out better to run diesel (miles-per-£ anyway).

Admittedly the Omega was an MV6 but still lol

I'd a 2.5TD Omega, and struggled to get 35mpg out of it, was mostly in the low 30's! Surely an LPG 3.0 would be as cheap to run as that?!lol 2.2 DTi might be handier run though!

Looking forward to getting my Nova TD on the road, have only moved it in and out of the gargae so far, so no idea how well it does (or doesn't) go!

mowgli
12-01-11, 09:04 AM
the trouble with a diesel car is that you need to be doing decent mileage to make the extra cost of purchase worth it......and they hate pottering round on short trips.

Jack
12-01-11, 10:55 AM
Sorry, should have said - I was comparing the LPG MV6 to a 1.7TD Chavalier.

Mowglers, I'd be doing around 70-80 miles a day down the M5 and back, so should get good motorway MPG :)

mowgli
12-01-11, 11:01 AM
diesel it is....

XEjames
16-01-11, 02:31 PM
i have an isuzu 1.5 td out of a nova for sale mate if your intrested i did the conversion into a mk2 astra had to weld a strip of the nova chassis leg onto the astra one + wired a switch up for the heaterplugs and that was about it pritty straight forward . tbh aswell i would use the 1.5td they seem to go a alot better . also the one im selling has just had a new alternator put on . this is a common problem on them and the alternators aint cheap. 60 quid for the motor cheers dan

Hi dan, sent you a pm about the engine, very interested

Ive got my eye on a nova, fingers crossed ill get it, will just need to gather all the bits if i do

Dan what did you do about the fuel cut off, did you use an original solenoid or universal?

thanks everyone for the help, ive done xe + let conversions just wasnt sure whats needed for diesel, never realy been interested lol

James

Count Vaux Alot
16-01-11, 02:52 PM
I've got everything needed for the conversion if your interested? Tank, loom, clocks, 1.5 or 1.7 Td engines and gearboxes, Td rad etc etc

XEjames
16-01-11, 04:03 PM
I've got everything needed for the conversion if your interested? Tank, loom, clocks, 1.5 or 1.7 Td engines and gearboxes, Td rad etc etc

Pm sent, cheers mate

Mike
16-01-11, 04:12 PM
the trouble with a diesel car is that you need to be doing decent mileage to make the extra cost of purchase worth it......and they hate pottering round on short trips.

Correct.

I regulary do 5/600ish mile a week on £55 odd of diesel. But can use qaurter tank driving round in a 30 mile radius from various sites in the same city.