PDA

View Full Version : Wtf Is Up With My Car!!!

brownbear
09-01-11, 09:20 PM
Right what's been changed...

Waterpump, Thermostat, Expansion tank.

What it's doing right, Circulating (To a degree)

What it's doing wrong, Overheating, Spitting out coolant everywhere, No hot air through the blowers inside!!

Cle
09-01-11, 09:20 PM
Head or block cracked ?

General Baxter
09-01-11, 09:21 PM
this the v6 still ?

MK999
09-01-11, 09:21 PM
Blocked matrix/rad imo, building pressures and finding weakest links to pee out coolant, overheating because it's not circulating properly.

Not used rad weld or anything like that on it have you? Try flushing it all through properly with a hose.

mowgli
09-01-11, 09:23 PM
it could be airlocked, or as above blocked up with sludge

Southie
09-01-11, 09:25 PM
Not still the VW is it :( your jinxed if so mate.

L14MNP
09-01-11, 09:40 PM
Engine internals remaining where you left them has to make this build a winner in the grand scheme though! lol

General Baxter
09-01-11, 09:41 PM
Engine internals remaining where you left them has to make this build a winner in the grand scheme though! lol

if its the vr6, hes spent over that, just trying to get it to work for more then 5 hours lol

db_1.2
09-01-11, 09:46 PM
If it is a VR6, head gasket is a notorious problem, as im sure you will be aware

shed-on-wheels
09-01-11, 09:47 PM
air block?

Asa-James
09-01-11, 09:54 PM
This isnt the vr (for a change...) it's a golf 1.9 tdi (old 8v engine)

db_1.2
09-01-11, 09:56 PM
Whats the milage? Ive not heard of the HG failing, and ive seen the pre PD engines on 270000 miles and higher on MKIV forum (was a competition, highest milage).

MK999
09-01-11, 09:58 PM
Whats the milage? Ive not heard of the HG failing, and ive seen the pre PD engines on 270000 miles and higher on MKIV forum (was a competition, highest milage).

There was one I heard about where volkswagon sent out letters to all their customers and found someone that had a jetta td from new (I think, do they exist?) on something like 1.5m miles lol

John
09-01-11, 09:58 PM
Water pumps are however a biggie. I know you've said you checked but Are the impellors ok on the shaft? flow through the rad ok?

MattBrown
09-01-11, 10:02 PM
Same engine as mothers bus.

186k with not one fault touch wood.

Rad full of gunk?

All the hoses getting hot? Rad full hot? Matrix hot?

Is there a reliefe valve on the header tank?

What does it do with the tank cap off?

db_1.2
09-01-11, 10:03 PM
There was one I heard about where volkswagon sent out letters to all their customers and found someone that had a jetta td from new (I think, do they exist?) on something like 1.5m miles lol

Lol i must say, im not suprised, they are a great combination of simplicity and technology recently introduced to diesel engines at the time. Not like them horrid PD engines.

But i am impressed the Jetta was still on the road and driving!

John
09-01-11, 10:06 PM
What's wrong with the pd? from experience they're also a cracking engine

Asa-James
09-01-11, 10:10 PM
Water pumps are however a biggie. I know you've said you checked but Are the impellors ok on the shaft? flow through the rad ok?

Yep, whipped it out this morning (after replacing 6 weeks ago) and it's all good, I was half expecting it to be loose on the shaft but it was ok. The rad keeps throwing Out browny/pink water, but I think it needs taking out and checking properly.

It overheats and throw all it's water out the tank with the cap on, with the cap off and driving it was ok and help a steady 90 degrees, but the heaters stayed cold

John
09-01-11, 10:11 PM
Check the matix isn't blocked. Has it had enough anti in over the cold weather?

Asa-James
09-01-11, 10:13 PM
Check the matix isn't blocked. Has it had enough anti in over the cold weather?

Enough to defrost the arctic. And we've blasted through everything today, pipes off and on, reverse flush the bloody lot (it's been a long day)

db_1.2
09-01-11, 10:16 PM
What's wrong with the pd? from experience they're also a cracking engine

Ill make a short list

Boost leaks - Due to pancake pipe, and also stupid design of boost pipes
Camshafts - Suffer from the lobes rounding off
Tappets - Wear through
Dual mass - Breaks up
Tandom pump - Seals perrish

All except the last i/we have personally experienced on a friends car with just 114000

John
09-01-11, 10:27 PM
Ill make a short list

Boost leaks - Due to pancake pipe, and also stupid design of boost pipes
Camshafts - Suffer from the lobes rounding off
Tappets - Wear through
Dual mass - Breaks up
Tandom pump - Seals perrish

All except the last i/we have personally experienced on a friends car with just 114000

Your friend is unlucky. I work for audi, and previously vw. At vw i used to see a guy with a touran 1.9 pd tdi as a taxi, oil and filter every 10k and no other issues at 450k.

Camshafts are only an issue on the 150bhp arl mk4 engine. tappets will only wear through as a consequence.

Tandom pump, gasket you mean?

Boost seals, pence to rectify. Dual mass, no more problematic than say the ford dmf.

:)

John
09-01-11, 10:30 PM
Enough to defrost the arctic. And we've blasted through everything today, pipes off and on, reverse flush the bloody lot (it's been a long day)

lol feelin for you chap! Do all coolant hoses get warm (to touch) when warming from cold?

db_1.2
09-01-11, 10:31 PM
Your friend is unlucky. I work for audi, and previously vw. At vw i used to see a guy with a touran 1.9 pd tdi as a taxi, oil and filter every 10k and no other issues at 450k.

Camshafts are only an issue on the 150bhp arl mk4 engine. tappets will only wear through as a consequence.

Tandom pump, gasket you mean?

Boost seals, pence to rectify. Dual mass, no more problematic than say the ford dmf.

:)

I suppose i will admit to seeing high milage PD's on MKIV's.

It was the ARL he had Lol. I thought it was some kind of seal, and it perished due to bad fuel/injector cleaner.

Still cant beat an AHF for reliability. :p

Asa-James
09-01-11, 10:32 PM
Rad top hose, and the top matrix hose (both run from the plastic housing on the side if the block) both get warm as they should, everything else stays cool

John
09-01-11, 10:33 PM
I suppose i will admit to seeing high milage PD's on MKIV's.

It was the ARL he had Lol. I thought it was some kind of seal, and it perished due to bad fuel/injector cleaner.

Still cant beat an AHF for reliability. :p

The arl engine had a real problem with the cams. Not on any other pd variant though. I've not once in my years seen a tandem pump fail. leak yes, but never fail. And i do agree the ahf is a cracking engine! :)

MattBrown
09-01-11, 10:34 PM
lol feelin for you chap! Do all coolant hoses get warm (to touch) when warming from cold?

:wtf:

I said this pages agolol

John
09-01-11, 10:36 PM
:wtf:

I said this pages agolol

No harm in double checking. :)

Bubba
09-01-11, 10:38 PM

more info please

John
09-01-11, 10:40 PM
more info please

I'm guessing bora?

MK999
09-01-11, 10:40 PM
more info please

No idea, saw it in a PVW mag I believe, sometime in the last 2 years if you'd like to check all the back issues. Then again it may have been on the internet, if you would like to search it in it's entirety lol

Bubba
09-01-11, 10:41 PM
off to google i shall bimble

db_1.2
09-01-11, 10:44 PM
You sure it wasnt a Vento? I know i was following a Vento TDI the other day.

MK999
09-01-11, 10:48 PM
You sure it wasnt a Vento? I know i was following a Vento TDI the other day.

Could have been, bear in mind to be doing 1.5m miles it was a good 15+ years old...

db_1.2
09-01-11, 11:02 PM
Could have been, bear in mind to be doing 1.5m miles it was a good 15+ years old...

True.

They did do a mk2 diesel, a mate of mine had one. Was as quick as my XR3i!

MK999
09-01-11, 11:07 PM
IIRC it was a mk1 Jetta, and at least 15 maybe 20 years old? But it was an article I skim read ages ago and was just reminded of.

db_1.2
09-01-11, 11:09 PM
I know i did hear of it at one stage, perhaps on another forum, probably had more welding than any Nova on here!

MK999
09-01-11, 11:10 PM
I know i did hear of it at one stage, perhaps on another forum, probably had more welding than any Nova on here!

Was in cali/arizona so I doubt it lol

dougie_boi
09-01-11, 11:24 PM
sounds like the head gasket is away and presurising the system

Bubba
09-01-11, 11:29 PM
IIRC it was a mk1 Jetta, and at least 15 maybe 20 years old? But it was an article I skim read ages ago and was just reminded of.

try at least 23 years old :p even better

brownbear
09-01-11, 11:58 PM
No coolant into piston seapage, gonna waft the header. I'm thinking new radibator and matrix. If in doubt, replace it!!

bazil
10-01-11, 12:08 AM

highest milage vw in USA with 500,000 miles
http://i.autoblog.com/2007/08/23/vw-finds-highest-mileage-diesel-in-ohio/

MK999
10-01-11, 12:16 AM
that'd be the one, thought it was a much higher mileage than that though

Paul
10-01-11, 12:55 AM
No coolant into piston seapage, gonna waft the header. I'm thinking new radibator and matrix. If in doubt, replace it!!

No, wrong way. The turbo boost (although only low on diesel may be pressuring the water system.

If the gasket is cracked inbetween a bore and a water way it will pressurize the water system.unfortunately a compression test will probably not show it, nor may a sniff test.

If everything is clear, pipes, rad matrix etc etc could be this /\

brownbear
10-01-11, 11:18 AM
No, wrong way. The turbo boost (although only low on diesel may be pressuring the water system.

If the gasket is cracked inbetween a bore and a water way it will pressurize the water system.unfortunately a compression test will probably not show it, nor may a sniff test.

If everything is clear, pipes, rad matrix etc etc could be this /\

poooooooooooooooooo :(

brownbear
11-01-11, 10:46 PM
Blocked radiator... :) SNORTED!!! hehehe!