PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Pump

novajulz
09-01-11, 12:04 AM
Hi all im having a bit of trouble ive bought a new Fuel as the old one had gone. So fitted new one to car, and now im having trouble getting it started as it could be the wrong one???? but there is not much difference between the old and new pump? where can i find the exact pump and does anyone know the part number of the pump its for a 1.2st carb.

cheers hope you can help me out. sorry if it in the wrong thread could you please move

Baz / julz's bf

mk1nova_rich
09-01-11, 12:50 AM
I'm pretty sure all carb fuel pumps are the same...well there are two types, one has a built in fuel filter and the other doesn't...but either can be fitted and should work.

What exactly was wrong with the old one?

AlexW
09-01-11, 01:10 AM
I presume the little spacer is fitted?

Checked to see if its pulling the fuel up at all?

Rickyb
09-01-11, 02:11 PM
i had somthin similar hapen and it turned out to be the cam bobe that drives the pump.

waynes sri
09-01-11, 02:23 PM
Im not into all the big blocks or gsi reps give me a tidy SRI anyday. i like that ricky am with you on that one lol

novajulz
09-01-11, 08:42 PM
yes the spacer is fitted. The car will run a little bit but very very lumpy for about 2sec then it will just cut out and the smoke will come from the carb???

mowgli
09-01-11, 09:07 PM
sounds really silly, but are the pipes on the right way round?

novajulz
09-01-11, 09:23 PM
yeah done them exactlly the same as they were before??

General Baxter
09-01-11, 09:26 PM
yes the spacer is fitted. The car will run a little bit but very very lumpy for about 2sec then it will just cut out and the smoke will come from the carb???

so its back fire, check the cam and igintion timing :thumb:

mowgli
09-01-11, 09:26 PM
if you take the pump off the cam carrier, and leave the suction pipe on, you can pump it manually, and the fuel should come thru. if it doesn't, it could be that the fuel feed is blocked by crap in the tank, or there could actually be a split in the feed pipe.

novajulz
09-01-11, 09:27 PM
ok will try that cheers

Asa-James
09-01-11, 10:21 PM
As a heads up, I fitted a new pump to mine last year, and ended up doubling the spacers as the throw of the lobe on the cam was too much and the pump was just jamming. Pull the feed off the carb, crank and make sure you have a good steady fuel flow. If not, try the double spacer :)

MattBrown
09-01-11, 10:25 PM
A random one here.

If the cam is worn, it won't pump hard enough cranking over.

Throw 30ml of fuel down the carb, start her up, see if that solves it by throwing the pump over hard.

On my 1st 1.0, whenever I ran out of fuel, I had to throw some down the carb, or it would wind over all day! Fooked pump and worn cam FTL lol

novajulz
10-01-11, 09:18 PM
Ok thanks both some really good advice there will go and do what you said n get back to you.Poss the cam could be worn as the engine is turning over only little amount of fuel in fillter as i had to had the enging crimped n tuned because the emmisions as she was running rich so the guy turned air and mixter dowm and also the revs to pass M.O.T. ever since then she's been really rough.