PDA

View Full Version : What would you do....

The Simps
07-01-11, 12:08 PM
Ok, so I recently purchased a '98 200sx s14a which I love to pieces! The plan was to run it as a second car alongside the vectra estate as I didn't think it would be a very ideal everyday car and expensive on fuel.

I've now ran the 200 for the last 2 weeks everyday and when being sensible with the right foot (which I mostly am) its actually on par with the vectra for mpg. But with it being Super its probably going to cost me £40-50pm extra at a guess.

Now the vectra is worth £2k to sell and costs me around £75-100pm on average to keep on the road taking into tax, insurance & maintenance. So if I sell the vectra I'm better off each month and will have a bit more dosh in the bank. But, and here's the but! The Vectra is a very good, solid reliable car that I know every inch of. If 6mths down the line I decided I dont want to run the 200 everyday because its ruining it I dont think I'd get another car for the money thats as useful, solid and reliable.

The other issue is like I had before with the nova years ago, where I live I only have 1 parking space so I have to keep the other car 45mins away at my parents. Not ideal if you just wanna go for a blat.

So, what would you do? Keep the vectra or sell it.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

:thumb:

No comments about my Nova either please! Its a seperate issue and unrelated :D

db_1.2
07-01-11, 12:12 PM
Sell the vectra get a golf gt tdi 110, I had one for a year. Not only lovely to drive, but mine would do at least 50mpg, but usually it would be 62mpg. I have seen it unto 72.2 before, without even noticing.

The Simps
07-01-11, 12:20 PM
Golf gt tdi will cost me the same ifnot more than what I'd get for the vectra and I then have the situation of being a used car you don know what might need doing/changing.

It will be a case of keep it or sell it and run the 200.

wwmnw
07-01-11, 12:35 PM
By the sounds of it the Vectra would be worth keeping if you know it so well and it is reliable.

The Simps
07-01-11, 12:47 PM
By the sounds of it the Vectra would be worth keeping if you know it so well and it is reliable.

Thats been my thoughts. I spoke to the garage yesterday who did the mot on the vectra before xmas and told him the score and his thoughts were to keep it. It went straight through the mot (again) with no issues.

Said vectra...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/IMG_0370.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/IMG_0045.jpg

Jack
07-01-11, 12:52 PM
Pics of S14a :d

I'd be inclined to keep that over the vec, but you have to consider the mileage/servicing costs too - if you'd spend £40-50 a month more on the SX, I guess you do a fair few miles? That could take its toll.

The Simps
07-01-11, 12:59 PM
I do, on average 250miles a week. Thats the other conisderation that it will add to the wear of the 200. I'm kinding swaying to the side that while I can afford to run both, run both.

The 200...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/The%20200/DSC_0125.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/The%20200/IMG_0583.jpg

L33 LEG
07-01-11, 01:15 PM
Both very nice cars. If you can afford it then i would just keep both tbh. If you dont think it is working out for you then you can sell up. I doubt you will always want to drive the s14 everyday, that's probably just because you have just bought it. It's handy having two cars so you may aswell stick with it if you can.

Pistol Pete
07-01-11, 01:37 PM
Both tidy cars. IMO the Vectra just nudges ahead. It has the looks and from what you say the reliability. The S14a (which i also like, my mate had a damson one) could well turn into a money pit. Tidy it up and sell it on for possible profit would be my thinking.

If you want to go for a blat, you will eventually have the Nova. Thats what i tell myself everytime i start looking at "fun" cars. It helps with motivation.

ben doodar
07-01-11, 01:38 PM
Id keep the vectra as you know it's a good reliable car. + I'm sure it's useful for picking up car parts etc.

I had a grandad spec 1.8 cavalier for a while it was ace never had a spot of bother with it! The boy racer in me came out and I sold the cav to buy a 106 gti, what a p1ssing mistake that was! Id of done anything to get my good old cavalier back.

draper
07-01-11, 02:05 PM
id keep the vectra, maybe keep it at your mums layed up

as you say, you know the car inside out, its realible etc so juest keeping it off the road will save you money, no ? unless youneed the funds from the vectra (to fund the pile of metal you call a nova maybe lol) youd be mad to get rid imo

The Simps
07-01-11, 02:05 PM
I wont be selling the 200 anytime soon, I've waited to long to own one. When the nova is eventually finished it wont be road legal anyway as its an all out track car and unpractical for the road.

Dad thinks I should maybe sell the vectra and replace it with something smaller & more economical.

Both cars tax expires at the end of the month and the 200 has its MOT due 11th March. I think I'll get the 200 MOT'd first then go from there.

dj_wudgey
07-01-11, 02:07 PM
the vectra does look sweet but im afraid rwd ftw!!! id be selling the vectra!!

Welsh Dan
07-01-11, 05:01 PM
I'd be keeping the Vectra as a winter runner, then SORNing it and use the 200 in the fairer weather. That way you only need to tax either one for 6 months at a time.

Mieran
07-01-11, 05:16 PM
You must be mad to keep the vectra over the s14 lol

rwd ftw

Danb1987
07-01-11, 05:25 PM
I'd be keeping the Vectra as a winter runner, then SORNing it and use the 200 in the fairer weather. That way you only need to tax either one for 6 months at a time.

Agreed with this!

MK999
07-01-11, 05:26 PM
No comments about my Nova either please! Its a seperate issue and unrelated :D

IGNORED. Have not read thread.

Start the bloody nova you massive raging homo fairy. That is all.

MK999
07-01-11, 05:32 PM
Have now read thread. Tbh the vectra is a really nice car, the s14a is lunacy and great looking etc but it is gonna cost you money, once you start getting used to the power etc your right foot will no longer be as light, servicing and wear and tear etc will add up. I say keep both for a bit and maybe sell the s14 in summer when they're a bit more desirable and probably for a profit, had your experience of the car you wanted then, or if you decide you want to keep it and can afford it get rid of the vec.

I say s14 though as it wouldn't be a massive issue to swap out your dampers on the nova build for something road friendly if you wanted to go for a quick blast, raise the ride height a bit and camber it in... It's designed around being able to be set up on shims etc so once it's tracked up straight and level once it's a case of swapping parts and knowing it's straight. Would probably mean more wear and tear on the rose joints etc so you may have to replace those every now and then... But it could work for sure.

mayhem
07-01-11, 05:44 PM
put it this way... how long does a set of tyres last on the vectra? and how long on the s14..?

The Simps
07-01-11, 08:01 PM

I had considered doing this.

You must be mad to keep the vectra over the s14 lol

rwd ftw

Its not an either or thread, the s14 is staying. Its whether I keep the vectra as a daily so the s14 stays as a toy!

put it this way... how long does a set of tyres last on the vectra? and how long on the s14..?

Ages! lol I don't drive enthusiastically in that I wheel spin everywhere. In 7years of owning my nova I only ever had 3 sets tyres and one of those was a change of wheels. But yes, they will go quicker on the 200 than the vectra.

Have now read thread. Tbh the vectra is a really nice car, the s14a is lunacy and great looking etc but it is gonna cost you money, once you start getting used to the power etc your right foot will no longer be as light, servicing and wear and tear etc will add up. I say keep both for a bit and maybe sell the s14 in summer when they're a bit more desirable and probably for a profit, had your experience of the car you wanted then, or if you decide you want to keep it and can afford it get rid of the vec.

I say s14 though as it wouldn't be a massive issue to swap out your dampers on the nova build for something road friendly if you wanted to go for a quick blast, raise the ride height a bit and camber it in... It's designed around being able to be set up on shims etc so once it's tracked up straight and level once it's a case of swapping parts and knowing it's straight. Would probably mean more wear and tear on the rose joints etc so you may have to replace those every now and then... But it could work for sure.

Some moments of sense in there but its VERY unlikely the nova will be a road car. It will be track only. It wont compare to the 200 anyway. The 200 is as quick as my old nova turbo acceleration wise but far more comfortable and refined.

L14MNP
07-01-11, 08:02 PM
Chop the Vectra in for something cheaper IMO. It is very nice though!

Obviously as you say, selling the S body isn't an option. :d

Southie
07-01-11, 08:59 PM
Another for selling the Vectra even though it looks a decent enough motor.

How about down trading and buying a Nova saloon lol

krobinson
07-01-11, 09:16 PM
What power is the S14?

The Simps
07-01-11, 10:50 PM
How about down trading and buying a Nova saloon lol

Let me have a think on that.............................................. .no! lol

What power is the S14?

Its Stage 1 so has exhaust, filter, fuel pump & chip. Was RR'd at 277 bhp and similar torque. Its got 555 injectors so if I fitted a FMIC the chip can be reflashed to 1a spec I believe which is closer to 300bhp.