PDA

View Full Version : Nova wiper help needed

Jackroadkill
07-01-11, 08:34 AM
Hi -
It's sh*tting it down with snow here and my trusty Nova has chosen to show its' appreciation in a comedy-timing style. The bloody windscreen wipers have stopped working, which is great in a snowstorm. The rear wiper still works, but that's not much use, really - I can't go everywhere backwards. I've checked the fuse and it's fine.

Does anyone know if there's a microswitch that can stick or anything like that? Any advice would be gratefully recieved and I might build a snowman in your honour if you provide me with the winning advice.

Cheers,

JR

steviegsi
07-01-11, 09:03 AM
Try turning them on and moving them with your hand mate. My wipers on the astra freeze in the off position on the screen.

Jack
07-01-11, 12:49 PM
Yeah, mine have done it a few times in both cars in the cold weather. Were they frozen to the screen (i.e. car all frozen up) and you tried turning them on?

Spudly
07-01-11, 12:55 PM
Theres alsorts couldve gone wrong, couldve popped the fuse, snapped the linkage, burnt the motor out, have a look under your scuttle panel for any obvious signs of damage, you may be lucky and find the nut on the back of the motor has come loose and the little bar has come off the splined pin on the motor a bit so when its struggled to move the heavy snow its just come free and spun off!

Jackroadkill
07-01-11, 03:30 PM
Yeah, mine have done it a few times in both cars in the cold weather. Were they frozen to the screen (i.e. car all frozen up) and you tried turning them on?

No, the daft thing was they started moving and then stopped a second later. Bloody hell...

Sonny Jim
07-01-11, 04:03 PM
yeah i'll bet the little bar has came off its ball bearing thingy , probably just worn down. happened to me a few times so now never put on full speed or it will come off !

Royston
07-01-11, 04:23 PM
yeah i'll bet the little bar has came off its ball bearing thingy , probably just worn down. happened to me a few times so now never put on full speed or it will come off !

If that is what has happened, a simple fix is........

remove the wiper motor crank plate, or just remove the wiper motor, easier I think;)

Find a suitable small self tapping screw and a small washer, drill the "ball" end with suitabe sized drill to suit sail self tapper, and fit the screw, i.e. cut the "thread" and set screw/washer to provide clearance when it is tightened to allow the connecting rod to move, i.e. it isn't clamped

Drill the plastic cap that is in the connecting rod, to suit the screw

Reassemble wiper motor, push the connecting rod onto the ball, fit washer and screw;)

I did this to the SR many year ago and it never came off again

Jackroadkill
10-01-11, 09:12 PM
Cheers lads