PDA

View Full Version : how soon should i change oil after a rebuild?

Mboasty
06-01-11, 10:12 PM
hi,
still in the process of running in my c20xe lump, when should i do the first oil change? ive heard somwhere before that its recomended to change the oil after about the first 200-300 miles, then again when the engine is run in at about a 1000 miles?

matt

Saloony
06-01-11, 10:13 PM
Yeah thats a good guide dude... Keep the driving varied also to avoid bore glazing.

Benn
06-01-11, 10:32 PM
I was told after 50miles.
Then after 250 miles, then after the 1000 finish running in.

As Craig said, lots of different gears and revs.

philip
06-01-11, 11:04 PM
what oil are you using to run the engine in with? just i use a miller running in oil that by the time the cars been on the rollers and set up its run in, its that good.

if on a cheap nasty mineral then 50mile, 250 and 500 then put normal grade in then, but there are so many different ways people run their engines in its all down to personal preferance

djbrowney
06-01-11, 11:08 PM
I was told after 50miles.
Then after 250 miles, then after the 1000 finish running in.

As Craig said, lots of different gears and revs.

thats exactly what i do :thumb:

Mboasty
06-01-11, 11:14 PM
when we say keep the driving varied does this meen i can go over 4000 rpm?:)

mowgli
06-01-11, 11:29 PM
when was the first service on vauxhalls?????? this running in business is cobblers......... maybe change the oil after 500miles to get rid of any crap that you missed, but other than that change it at about 4500 miles.

think about it... when new, a gm engine doesn't get any special treatment, it gets built, probably a bench test, then stuck in a crate, then stuck in a car, and run as far as the storage yard, then loaded onto a wagon & taken to the docks, then some kid rags the 4rse off it onto the boat. then a wagon etc.... so by the time it gets to the dealer, its done 5 odd miles & has been worked & then left for several weeks. then somebody buys it as new......

running in is something that died out in the seventies, along with annual decokes....

AlexW
06-01-11, 11:45 PM
You're still told to run in new motors, Was told to do it on my van, Wasn't done, Should run it in how your going to use it, So yes, it was ragged from day 1.

Paul
07-01-11, 12:25 AM
If you think running in is nonsense then look at the oil you will drain out of a freshly built engine. The top will be metallic.

You can only get a certain amount of that metal from boring/honing etc out of the engine, the rest will work its way into the sump.

Change after 50 miles or so will get 90% of it out.

Then again after 250, then again after 500-1000.

You are also bedding the rings in.

As said mixed driving, dont be scared to use the full rev range but dont hold it at high revs.

Paul

Paul
07-01-11, 03:42 AM
If you think running in is nonsense then look at the oil you will drain out of a freshly built engine. The top will be metallic.

You can only get a certain amount of that metal from boring/honing etc out of the engine, the rest will work its way into the sump.

As said mixed driving, dont be scared to use the full rev range but dont hold it at high revs.

Paul

Bubba
07-01-11, 07:40 AM
i never knew that ^^

mowgli
07-01-11, 08:02 AM
You're still told to run in new motors, Was told to do it on my van, Wasn't done, Should run it in how your going to use it, So yes, it was ragged from day 1.

you should work a diesel engine from day 1.... you don't see brand new trucks going down the motorway with 1/2 loads & doing 40mph for the first thousand miles......

mowgli
07-01-11, 08:08 AM

Paul

and as i have already pointed out... they don't do it with new engines, do they??? they get bored, honed, have new rings in them etc....

its a throwback to the bad old days when you had to adjust tappets etc, and it just isn't necessary any more.. if you want to do it, then fine, its your engine, but once the engine has got nice & warm & been run for maybe an hour tops, it is bedded in, then the rest is down to how you drive it.

i was always lead to believe that it was so the cheque could clear before the engine had chance to break.

Mboasty
09-01-11, 11:46 PM
ive done the oil change, the engine sounds better, although that might just be me thinking that. im happy ive done it, i never done one at 50 miles, so there must have been a certian amount of metal shavings in with the oil, I will probaly do another change at 1000-1200 miles somthing like that, & i think i will be using more of the rev range from now on. cheers for the advice

matt

dougie_boi
09-01-11, 11:52 PM
when i ran my last rebuild in it was mineral 50 miles slow speeds change mineral agian using all the rev range in all gears but not holding it long 250 miles changed and used 10/40 semi gave it some beans again changed at 500 miles and that was it just changed it every 5000 miles after that