PDA

View Full Version : What Tyres?

mattcogg
06-06-03, 11:32 AM
Due to not bothering to get tracking done my tyres are worn badly I am going to change them at the end of the month. Went to the tyre place and he said that the BF Goodrich ones I have got are a good brand but not a good make in 15's confused by this I asked what would be best. He suggested Pirelli's at 50quid a pop. Now after chatting some more nobody seems to be able to give me a tyre that would be suitable. I am not paying no more than 50quid per tyre and I want a tyre that is good. I use my car loads on the motorway and love to rag it round corners so traction is key. Anybody out there know a lot about tyres and the best ones to use?

Matt :D :D :D

Alex
06-06-03, 11:34 AM
what width and profile are you after e.g. 195/45?

Ste_Nova
06-06-03, 12:07 PM
yoko a539

Dicko
06-06-03, 12:27 PM
mytyres online did toyo proxy p1-s for ?42 each but they dont do them anymore ;(

http://www.mytyres.net/start.html

search for 194/45/r15 then click on search more to get full list

the kumho/avon/uniroyal are pretty good, dont know about the rest, stay away from marshall there far to hard

mattcogg
06-06-03, 02:04 PM
Hi,

After being on the site I have a choice of dunlop, Fulda, Sempmerit, Avon, Uniroyal - Dicko said Avon, Uniroyal are good what about anyone else I am quite willing to go for the recommended ones from Dicko. Have you used them yourself or has anyone else?

Thanks again

Great website by the way

Matt :D :D :D

Dicko
06-06-03, 04:09 PM
what size did you put in?

you havent put in the rigfht size if ur given those choises ( i think)

Stuart
06-06-03, 05:57 PM
you have to specify the "speed" rating of the tyre and 130-140mph is ideal to get good brand tyres

yoko a539's arent that good, unless its terential rain. they are the "control" tyre for the locost series, they are supposed to last a season but our driver (whos not a nutter) kills a set in a race :s

goodyear eagle f1's seem a good all rounder

i'd never touch falkern tyres again because they are shitte lol

Dicko
06-06-03, 07:23 PM
f1s r too soft for the cost

RobHardyUK
06-06-03, 07:31 PM
yoko a539

dnt rate these in the wet!!!!!!!!!!!!! and they aint all that amazing in the dry.i have twice now had full lock understeer with em. :o sillthey r cheap i guess!!! dont really kno much botu the equvilents on the market.

NovaNeil
06-06-03, 07:34 PM
There is only one tyre choice for me and i've had 3 sets of them on my 16's.........YOKOHAMA AVS Sport. Awesome in the dry but not the best in the wet to be honest, which is a good thing for me as it slows me down.
?50 a piece in 15's ?55 for 16's.

mikeoxford
07-06-03, 11:35 PM
when i couldnt afford tyres i put a pair of fulda tyres on

there quite cheap and VERY underated

RobHardyUK
07-06-03, 11:36 PM
a paira what?!!?!?! lmao. i aint heard of them. how much were they? wot u use now?

Chris LR
07-06-03, 11:38 PM
IMO

Michelin - Good but poor power delivery.
GoodYear - Average in all areas.
Dunlop - Very Sticky and worth while.
Budget - Avoid, never worth it.

I've heard Good things about Avon and Bridgestone too

mikeoxford
07-06-03, 11:39 PM
fulda all round on my sr three spokes.

and on my 17s they still got the tyres they came with, which is 2 avons and 2 uniroyals on the front.

Dan
07-06-03, 11:48 PM
as said f1's are a touch soft but for an all round wet/dry tyre i dont trust anything else as i do like to stick me car into the bends. I have just replaced 2 of mine, got em for 60 a piece fitted, although just for a laugh asked in an ATS tyre place and they wanted ?93 a tyre lmfao :lol: :lol:

Chris LR
07-06-03, 11:52 PM
ATS are clowns, I asked for a fitting price if I sourced the tyres, for exactly the same tyres, ?24 more for fitting if I brought the tyres to them

mattcogg
08-06-03, 09:48 AM
Hi again.

Ok after entering for a higher speed tyre I got many more results. It seems that no one really agrees on tyres. Yokohoma and F1's seem a big no no honestly I am led by the name to either go for Pirelli or Dunlop! Mike says Avon and Uniroyal are good and if its good enough for his beast then it shoud be for mine. If I go for Pirelli or Dunlop do you think I am just paying for the name. As I said I do a lot of motorway driving and wear is a big issue. Has anyone got any more suggestions?

Matt
:D :D :D

rgv_stu
09-06-03, 11:52 AM
im running 195 50 15 bfgoodrich profiler g. they are the best tyre i have ever used. if you get them make sure you get the highest speed rating available as they are more sticky. think im running V's but w is the highest they do.