PDA

View Full Version : MGF / TF opinions

BongMong
04-01-11, 04:00 PM
what do you fonts think about the MGF / TF 160 vvc?

you get alot of car for average £2k.. say 40,000miles and a hardtop if lucky..

i know they suffer from HGF.. tripple layer and steel dowls tend to solve this..

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:02 PM
I have heard F's are fun little cars, if converted to strut and spring suspension.

For that reason I would go for an early TF. As they look better and obviously already have coils. As you say, there are ways around the HG issues and the 1800 VVC is a great little engine.

The only experience I have of one personally though is knowing a lad who pulled an F apart to VVC his mk2 Metro. ;/ Loads of help eh!

Worth a punt IMO.

draper
04-01-11, 04:07 PM
id get one if in that postion, could be a capable little car reckon. wonder if i can talk the missus into having one lol

mowgli
04-01-11, 04:08 PM
bongmong, are you in or looking at a career in the ladies haircare industry??

draper
04-01-11, 04:08 PM
gets you ladies according to brownbear so i am !!

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:09 PM
Would that oen have been rolled out if he was after an MX-5 too? lol

Another capable and underrated car.

BongMong
04-01-11, 04:10 PM
i think they look smart with a front splitter and a hardtop.. never thought of them as a womans car tbh.... :(

draper
04-01-11, 04:10 PM
mx-5s arent that cheap anymore, seems alot of people have caught on

Stuart
04-01-11, 04:12 PM
gay as hell, but a riot :)

mowgli
04-01-11, 04:12 PM
the thing is that as good and as capable as an mgtf/f is, you will be driving round thinking 'is the engine going to blow?' and wishing you had bought an mx5

MK999
04-01-11, 04:13 PM
Would that oen have been rolled out if he was after an MX-5 too? lol

Another capable and underrated car.

Hardly the 'ardest looking car around though lol

Stuart
04-01-11, 04:13 PM
make sure its got stainless steel coolant pipes running front to back as the OEM ones rust and pish coolant everywhere lol

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:15 PM
Was I right then, F's are hydragas and TF's 'proper' suspension, or is it not as simple as that?

I do remember this though. The roof mech is borrowed from an MX-5. probs chopped about a bit though? Now that is ironic, a British sports car company having to borrow designs from a Japanese company who's worlds best selling roadster is itself heavily based on a Bristish sports car as we all know. lol

mowgli
04-01-11, 04:16 PM
i keep looking for a reliant ss1 with the nissan turbo engine... they must really fly, cos they are ugly as hell

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:17 PM
Hardly the 'ardest looking car around though lol

I'll not even bother linking you a solitary image of one of thousands that look the b0llocks! Take a look. They can look hard as fcuk. :d

solly
04-01-11, 04:17 PM
i had a mate who had one and a common fault is the head gasket

MK999
04-01-11, 04:19 PM
I'll not even bother linking you a solitary image of one of thousands that look the b0llocks! Take a look. They can look hard as fcuk. :d

I have seen a few, and they all look like graham norton in something vinny jones might wear, they're trying to look 'ard... it's just not working lol Just not my cup o' tea I guess

mowgli
04-01-11, 04:20 PM
Was I right then, F's are hydragas and TF's 'proper' suspension, or is it not as simple as that?

I do remember this though. The roof mech is borrowed from an MX-5. probs chopped about a bit though? Now that is ironic, a British sports car company having to borrow designs from a Japanese company who's worlds best selling roadster is itself heavily based on a Bristish sports car as we all know. lol

the mx5 was based on the idea of a british sports car, but when you look at the one it is allegedly based on, the elan, they used to fall apart in the factory car park, let alone on the road... the mgb & midget were not anywhere near as good in std form, the triumph tr series were rough & not too reliable... they sold in america simply because the yanks weren't making small sportscars themselves... and the mx5 simply managed a rose tinted nostalgia thing, but actually sold a decent car that is also reliable....

ps. when clarkson tested the original mgf, rover actually hand made a special car with longer seat runners, a lower base & a one off soft top so he would fit into it.... he liked it.

BongMong
04-01-11, 04:21 PM
thinkin of this..

http://cdn.images.pistonheads.com/aimg/2232/2232379-2.jpg

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:24 PM
the mx5 was based on the idea of a british sports car, but when you look at the one it is allegedly based on, the elan, they used to fall apart in the factory car park, let alone on the road... the mgb & midget were not anywhere near as good in std form, the triumph tr series were rough & not too reliable... they sold in america simply because the yanks weren't making small sportscars themselves... and the mx5 simply managed a rose tinted nostalgia thing, but actually sold a decent car that is also reliable....

ps. when clarkson tested the original mgf, rover actually hand made a special car with longer seat runners, a lower base & a one off soft top so he would fit into it.... he liked it.

I heard they even had a recording of the sound the Elan gear linkage made and copied that. Mk1 MX-5's have a strong Elan look to them IMO. Just better engineered. I have driven a few and either stock or witha few tasty bits they are awesome I think. Although I would very happily have an Elan, even if it is just another motor with dodgy build quality built by some women in a shed.

I remember the Clarkson MGF test. From the days or original Top Gear wasn't it?

Bong, that TF looks spot on. Gotta be silver. :cool:

mowgli
04-01-11, 04:25 PM
i can see it now, the wind in your hair, the pretty girl sat next to you...your hand on her shoulder, you asking what her holiday plans are...

Stuart
04-01-11, 04:27 PM
i can see it now, the wind in your hair, the pretty girl sat next to you...your hand on her shoulder, asking you what her holiday plans are...

lol

get a the nasty piss gold colour one... they have to be cheap and everyone will be so repulsed that they wont notice you driving it

BongMong
04-01-11, 04:28 PM
come on now, play nice :P

L14MNP
04-01-11, 04:30 PM
lol

get a the nasty piss gold colour one... they have to be cheap and everyone will be so repulsed that they wont notice you driving it

As in the Top Gear minicab test.

Guy with piss gold coloured A-Class: "but who notices the outside of your car?"
James May: "Everyone else!"

Jewish racing gold is never a good look. So I agree, they should be cheap. The again, silver isn't fashionable these days and IMO the TF looks it's best in it.

MK999
04-01-11, 04:44 PM
The again, silver isn't fashionable these days

Just as the police switch to silver to sell on their old cars, silvers out and white comes back in! **** luck eh lol

burgo
04-01-11, 10:32 PM
they are ****.

C612DNM
05-01-11, 07:26 AM
To summarise:

Hairdressers car
Suspect engine
No dealers anymore since MG/Rover went bust and moved to China
Parts not so cheap
Crap gearbox (IMHO - like a 6 speed with 5th missing)
Later facelifted ones look better, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Save up, get a Lotus Elise.

comptoncj
05-01-11, 07:33 AM
Head gaskets every 30k, leaking suspension, poor visibility, clunky gear change, takes half an hour to put 4 ltrs of oil in them! Have to take the roof off to change the air filter, 7 hour job to change handbrake cables, Grrr

Stuart
05-01-11, 08:11 AM
To summarise:

Hairdressers car
Suspect engine
No dealers anymore since MG/Rover went bust and moved to China
Parts not so cheap
Crap gearbox (IMHO - like a 6 speed with 5th missing)
Later facelifted ones look better, but if you put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig.

Save up, get a Lotus Elise.

You slate the MGF then recommend one with nearly the same faults bar the dealer bit lol.... Although all lotus dealers have had their 2year franchise notice and have to reapply so I guess many of those will vanish in a couple of years.

irritating quirks are all part of the fun of owning stupid cars of this nature

BENJIEGSI8v
05-01-11, 11:52 AM
I had a few demo MG TF`s for a while when they first came out. Must admit they were fun to drive, the TF 160 the best of the lot. But looking in the workshop, there was never a day without an MGF/TF in there. Mainly head gasket problems. Endless amonuts of spares for them though but they are hard work to work on. :)

dj_wudgey
05-01-11, 12:26 PM
bongmong, are you in or looking at a career in the ladies haircare industry??

fpmsl i knew some one would have hit out with this lol