PDA

View Full Version : turbo kits

kiwinova
04-01-11, 12:27 AM
Just a wondering if anyone has ever done a home turbo kit and how hard it is to do it:confused:

Danb1987
04-01-11, 12:35 AM
It depends on what engine your wanting to turbo?

kiwinova
04-01-11, 12:46 AM
c/x16xe i know that they will run turbos with standard internals at low boost of course

MattBrown
04-01-11, 12:47 AM
IIRC a new corsa VXR turbo bolts streight up?

kiwinova
04-01-11, 12:50 AM
IIRC a new corsa VXR turbo bolts streight up?

I have heard they do but im thinking it might be cheaper to make my onlol

Dervy
04-01-11, 01:01 AM
iv got a corsa vxr turbo going spare :)

comptoncj
04-01-11, 07:28 AM
the vxr turbo bolts up to it but there is a slight issue with the oil filter, as there is not much space due to where the elbow is, there may be enough to put a relocation. failing that use a head spacer, t25 turbo, home made manifold and a rising rate fuel regulator should be ok to run low boost.

Andy
04-01-11, 09:17 AM
a few people have turbo'd various things.It isnt as simple as just slammin a turbo on though lol

kiwinova
04-01-11, 10:47 AM
Didn't think it would be easy but it must be cheaper than getting a corsa Vxr engine and putting it in lol

Andy
04-01-11, 11:49 AM
as daft as it sounds,it wont be much cheaper if at all

kiwinova
04-01-11, 11:55 AM
Well I have just managed to find a kit for £250ono and a vex lump for £1500 lol

Stuart
04-01-11, 11:57 AM
I'd take the corsa VXR lump over some shonky internet kit anyday lol.

Also once you are done with it all you could probably sell the engine for a fair whack compared to the peanuts the terbow kit will be worth.

Granted you will most likely need stand alone engine managment for the VXR engine, but then to do a decent job of adding a turbo to your current engine you would need the same.

bazil
04-01-11, 11:58 AM
IMO it is a waste of time doing a cheap turbo conversion.

Let's face it you say you'll run low boost on a cheap conversion, how long before you say to yourself " just a little more boost " then before you know it you'll be spending more money repairing things.

If you only ever want to run low boost then it would be easier to just fit a bigger engine.

Spend a little extra money and do it right, get the vxr turbo and manifold, sort out the fuel system by either rising rate fpr or the microswitch and 5th injector way, get a decompression plate made and you'll stand a much better chance of having a turbo engine that'll take a bit of abuse.

Stuart
04-01-11, 12:11 PM
Spend a little extra money and do it right, get the vxr turbo and manifold, sort out the fuel system by either rising rate fpr or the microswitch and 5th injector way, get a decompression plate made and you'll stand a much better chance of having a turbo engine that'll take a bit of abuse.

OR once youve done all that faffing about, it would probably have been easier to get and fit and run the entire corsa VXR engine lol

Andy
04-01-11, 12:14 PM
exactly as per my point

gunny
04-01-11, 12:15 PM
as daft as it sounds,it wont be much cheaper if at all

Wrong.

gunny
04-01-11, 12:17 PM
OR once youve done all that faffing about, it would probably have been easier to get and fit and run the entire corsa VXR engine lol

Wrong!

blue_peg_16v
04-01-11, 12:20 PM
craig green on here has turbo'd the x16xe, and he will confirm it wasnt straight forward or cheap

Edd
04-01-11, 12:25 PM
craig green on here has turbo'd the x16xe, and he will confirm it wasnt straight forward or cheap

craig bought the c16xe engine already converted by Courtenay and dropped it in, he has now gone gay lol and is done with nova's and sold it on to comptoncj

bazil
04-01-11, 12:34 PM

i would fancy doing that tbh but the cost of buying the full engine then full standalone management to get less that 200 bhp I'd rather fit a let lol

gunny
04-01-11, 12:41 PM
i would fancy doing that tbh but the cost of buying the full engine then full standalone management to get less that 200 bhp I'd rather fit a let lol

Wrong lol think about it, 190bhp with 2 cats, standard exhaust system, crappy intercooler and a run of the mill map...

AlexW
04-01-11, 12:55 PM
To do a uber cheap home, diy turbo c/x16xe your talking about £800 iirc, Yes its cheaper than a let (By the time you have added conversion stuff etc) but still wont run 200bhp unless you run it on stand alone, which will put the cost up to about £1,400 (I presume megasquirt is a few hundred? Never looked into it, always had emerald).

As Chris says, On the VXR turbo fitted to a baby xe, you need to use a remote oil filter kit and have a cut out in the downpipe.

Stuart
04-01-11, 01:38 PM
Wrong!

go on then, enlighten us, rather than being an obtuse git about it :p

bazil
04-01-11, 01:40 PM
Wrong lol think about it, 190bhp with 2 cats, standard exhaust system, crappy intercooler and a run of the mill map...

we'll save the opinions untill we get a vxr 1.6 racing a LET down a 1/4 mile then,

gunny
04-01-11, 01:49 PM
All im saying is from my experiance it wouldnt be cheaper to fit a 1600 vxr engine.

With any luck you'll see that at pv this year (he says again :/)

Andy
04-01-11, 02:12 PM
Heres a better idea.
How much would it cost to get the vxr in and set up?
How much would it cost to do the turbo conversion properly?

AlexW
04-01-11, 02:16 PM
You could go balls out and prob spend 2k plus on a X16XE and prob get a fair way over 200bhp (Think baxters build, But reliable lol)

VXR engine aint cheap? £1000? Plus stand alone, any other bits? Prob the same kind of money for slighty less power? Come on gunny, fill us in.

Dervy
04-01-11, 08:45 PM
iv got a corsa vxr turbo going spare :)