PDA

View Full Version : Timewasters buying cars

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 06:31 PM
Im sure people get thicker by the day lol

Basically i had my saxo for sale at the beginning of december and a lad from glasgow was really interested. Kept on texting me everyday asking if it had been sold or not and could tell that he really wanted it. He said that he wont have enough money until the 28th of december so i said that a deposit will hold the car. He agreed and then a few days later he said that it wont be up until the 21st of january until he can pay for it. I said that was fine as i wasnt in a rush for the money. He asked a few stupid questions like would there be any way he could have the car before he pays lol but he soon understood.

He agreed to give me £200 deposit (i wanted that much as i was holding it for 6-7weeks for him but he was the one who mentioned that price) and i also knocked him off £200 off the askign price which i thought was very kind as again, i was holding it for him.

Anyway he paid the deposit and every few days texts me asking how the car is etc and seems a genuine lad who is excited about buying the car. However, this morning i randomly got a text off him saying that he is sorry but would like his deposit back as he has seen the same car but cheaper :roll: i obviously told him no and that the idea of a deposit is so people dont do that Lol. A few more texts later he asks if i could send him just half the deposit back to him, i told him no because its non-refundable. He then had the cheek to tell me that seen as he paid me through paypal he can win it back and said that a £200 deposit to hold a car for 2 weeks is **** :wtf: although i was pretty pee'd off at this moment i explained nicely that i am actually holding it for him for 6 weeks and i was very kind to do this and that i shouldnt suffer because he has simply changed his mind about the car.

Is it just me who thinks that i have done absolutly nothing wrong here or is his way of thinking actually what people act like and think is right? :roll: After this he said that he still wants the car but im not expecting him to tbh but told him i will ring him on the 21st to see if he has the money (also in the conversations earlier he said he wont have the money until feb now but funnily enough is interested in another car lol).

:wtf:

Mike
03-01-11, 06:34 PM
Next time he contacts you tell him its sold.

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 06:41 PM
Next time he contacts you tell him its sold.

It's not really in my way so i am still happy to wait until the agreed deadline. At least that way paypal shouldnt be able to get his money back, well that's if he doesnt lie and get it :roll: Im just shocked that people dont understand deposits and think it's ok to waste so much time for others.

The good news is that if he hasnt bought it by then i am £200 up and should still easily be able to shift the car for the same price, or if not a bit more.

Bubba
03-01-11, 06:44 PM
did you put non refundable deposit?

mk1nova_rich
03-01-11, 06:44 PM
IMO that is quite a large deposit...one which I'd only pay if I was 99.99% guaranteed to go through with the purchase (and would only back out in unforeseen cirumstances) which by the sounds of his enthusiasm was going to be the case. If he agreed to a non-refundable deposit then its touch luck on his behalf, so its simply your choice whether you want to give a partial refund out of kindness :thumb:

Rich
03-01-11, 06:45 PM
tbh unless he came down saw the car and then left you a deposit i wouldnt of taken a deposit.

He obviously hasnt got a clue and is just excited about the car

I got left a deposit for a car before, when the guy came back he started trying to knock me down and tell me the bottom end was knocking. When i said no you agreed a price he wanted his deposit back. I locked the car and went inside.

He spent a good hour or more driving/checking the car the first time!

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 06:53 PM
Yes i said from the start that it's non-refundable, like all deposits should be.

I agree that £200 is alot on such a cheap car but it is what he offered to pay and i would never accept £100 and store it for this long because anybody would happily walk away from £100 (id rather have more so i know i wont be out of pocket or time wasted)

IMO i am totally right in keeping the deposit and by doing this is to be expected. I get the feeling other people dont see it this way and are prepared to lose time and money because somebody has simply given a crap reason for wanting it back and has the cheek to say he has found another car to buy.

mk1nova_rich
03-01-11, 06:55 PM
He is completely in the wrong, just a lot of hassle for you if he won't stop contact

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 07:03 PM
I dont mind him keep contacting me, just aslong as he buys the bloody car lol If he doesnt by that date though il just put it back up for sale and hopefulyl somebody will buy it. It was a real bargain anyway so il try and get a bit more for it lol

blue_peg_16v
03-01-11, 07:05 PM
your in the right takes the piss trying to get a deposit back when you have said its none refundable

Mieran
03-01-11, 07:17 PM
How did he send you the money on paypal?

He can easily get it back if not sent as a gift, paypal are bell ends

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 07:21 PM
Ye i know that and that's a bit worrying. Paypal always side with the buyer. Hopefully he will buy it so it wont come to that.

TeddyThom
03-01-11, 07:22 PM
Been on the wrong side of paypal before, blatently ghey! However if you have proof that you advertised a non-refundable deposit which he paid, then I'm sure you can take it further if needs be.

Mieran
03-01-11, 07:26 PM
Where is the car advertised?

Jack
03-01-11, 07:38 PM
maybe he was more interested in your Yaris?

Lee H
03-01-11, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't refund the deposit either to be honest.

If you withdraw the funds from Paypal can they still take it back from you?

Rich
03-01-11, 08:02 PM
no but you wont be able to use paypal. if you have funds left in there they will take it as soon as they agree with the buyer

mk1nova_rich
03-01-11, 08:08 PM
its difficult in these situations as there is no easy way of 'proving' that the payment was for a non-refundable deposit, so as usual it is likely to go in the buyer's favour unfortunately

steviegsi
03-01-11, 08:38 PM
Tell him to get f***ed..... Serves him right for wanting a saxo! lol . No point in leaving a deposit if you can change your mind and get it back, when you probably could have sold the car by now.

Bubba
03-01-11, 08:39 PM
Yes i said from the start that it's non-refundable, like all deposits should be.

tell him to jog on then

Edd
03-01-11, 08:45 PM
By the sounds of it it will be too late for him to make a claim by the time he gets round to doing it lol

Stuart
03-01-11, 08:46 PM
maybe he was more interested in your Yaris?

flol

My current dislike is "whats your best price" erm..... its what was in the advert, so try that you goon

MK999
03-01-11, 08:50 PM
flol

My current dislike is "whats your best price" erm..... its what was in the advert, so try that you goon

I had this earlier this week for my old welder and a load of bits that basically makes it a pick up and go welding kit, hobby or full size bottles (with hobby ones included x3) etc etc. Expecting it to sell quite well on ebay so I told him it leaves me without welding gloves etc for a bit so if he wants it that bad he can give me £275 for it lol

mowgli
03-01-11, 08:51 PM
remove the funds from paypal, and if necessary change the financial details on your account.
did he send it as a gift or a purchase?
i had a bloke do similar with a pickup i sold on ebay. he gave me a deposit of £300 cash. in the end, i sent him £200 back.

MK999
03-01-11, 08:53 PM
tbh you can close and reopen a different account in about 2 minutes, I did it recently as I got fed up with it still having my dads name on from 6+ years ago before I had a card to use.

L14MNP
03-01-11, 08:53 PM
Maybe he can't sinsure a kitted Yaris with an install now he has looked into it further. :)

Definitley right to keep the deposit btw. For exactly the reaons you state.

Beware he can still open up a dispute after you remove funds and close a PP account. It happened to me and I ended up with a fcuking debt collection company chasing me. I didn't even know there was a dispute ongoing or think it was even possible!

Tell me he gifted you the deposit??

L33 LEG
03-01-11, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.

I have no proof of anything tbh, well apart from text messages. He has texted me saying that he still wants it so we shall see, at least by that time it maybe too late to take it from paypal. I have only used paypal a few times (everytime something has gone wrong) and i take the money out straight away. If he gets cocky again il just close the account as it's no use to me.

It wasnt a gift as people tend to be wary about that when you ask them to and to be fair, i had no reason to ask for it to be paid as a gift.

Il just have to wait and see what happens and see if he turns up. If i get any bull**** story after the deadline then i will just advertise it elsewhere and close my paypal account :)