PDA

View Full Version : this nova is really testing me!

waynes sri
03-01-11, 05:46 PM
right here goes after all problems ive had with fuel pumps etc alls well so went out to fire it up and find the batt is ****ered.so today ive put a new one and with a couple of turns she fires up but is missing a little which its always done if its been stood longer than a few weeks..so i left it to tickover while i gave it a wash as its been stood a few month now..and it was fine the missin cleared but gave a little splutter everynow and the so gave it a few revs and was fine then a few mins later just cut out and wouldnt start again!! so took the plugs out and they r new ones but they was really dirty and soaked in fuel.chucked my olds ones in and fired up again but its not happy as its splutterin when you give it some revs and it stinks of fuel...so my guess is it really gased up with all the startin etc as when you do give it some it covers end of the exhaust in a black soot...my next step is to clean plugs up new h.t leads then take dizzy cap off see if thats ****ted up anyone else help on this matter as its really doin my head in now eveytime a come to it theres a new problem!!:mad:

Balley
03-01-11, 06:40 PM
Sounds like the map sensor, I would have a look at it, see if it runs any worse unplugged. (should be rich unpluged)

waynes sri
03-01-11, 06:55 PM
Sounds like the map sensor, I would have a look at it, see if it runs any worse unplugged. (should be rich unpluged) map sensor is that the coil pack am not up on thses things lol?? its very rich now lol

mk1nova_rich
03-01-11, 06:58 PM
map sensor is that the coil pack am not up on thses things lol?? its very rich now lol

nope not the coilpack lol, its the one after the airbox/filter isnt it?!

waynes sri
03-01-11, 07:05 PM
nope not the coilpack lol, its the one after the airbox/filter isnt it?! is it not that thing with the green plug in on blukhead next to fuel relay

mk1nova_rich
03-01-11, 07:08 PM
I dont know to be completely honest mate, im not very clued up on injection engines lol

waynes sri
03-01-11, 07:14 PM
I dont know to be completely honest mate, im not very clued up on injection engines lol i am in knowing its a ******* pain lol im guna change h.t leads and clean dizzy up see if that helps then if not wardys sorted me with a coilpack so ill try that and hope it works lol

Andy
03-01-11, 07:14 PM
It needs taking out for a good thrashing,whats known in t'trade as enthusiastic de-coking lol

waynes sri
03-01-11, 07:17 PM
It needs taking out for a good thrashing,whats known in t'trade as enthusiastic de-coking lol id love to andy but no tax etc but ive gave it a thrash round our street but let off the gas and its not happy lol

vauxluva
03-01-11, 07:21 PM
I no its no help wayne but just stick to it look at all the ishues i have had over the past year its been off the road70% of the time. Right now mine is squeling on tickover? rev it and it goes away! yours mite need a good run perhaps?

waynes sri
03-01-11, 07:28 PM
I no its no help wayne but just stick to it look at all the ishues i have had over the past year its been off the road70% of the time. Right now mine is squeling on tickover? rev it and it goes away! yours mite need a good run perhaps? its defo gettin one.think lot of its flooded with fuel as it stinks of it

novasrikev
03-01-11, 10:09 PM
i would try the fuel pressure reg (seams to be common on sri's)
if it is hunting on tickover then i would check the map sensor amd the pipe to it

AlanH
03-01-11, 10:34 PM
I no its no help wayne but just stick to it look at all the ishues i have had over the past year its been off the road70% of the time. Right now mine is squeling on tickover? rev it and it goes away! yours mite need a good run perhaps?
tension your alternator belt properly, noise will stop:p

waynes sri
03-01-11, 10:58 PM
i would try the fuel pressure reg (seams to be common on sri's)
if it is hunting on tickover then i would check the map sensor amd the pipe to itit can be fine on tick over but then a rev can make it splutter and cut out.and pump is all buzzing etc lol..how would you try fuel pressure reg

phazer
03-01-11, 11:05 PM
Map sensor is as you say on the bulkhead with the green connector.

IME over fuelling and crap running was down to a failed lambda sensor, however it's easier for you to check the wiring and vacuum hose to the map sensor first.

waynes sri
03-01-11, 11:12 PM
Map sensor is as you say on the bulkhead with the green connector.

IME over fuelling and crap running was down to a failed lambda sensor, however it's easier for you to check the wiring and vacuum hose to the map sensor first. mines had the cat took out which was already done when i got it so would it still have the lambda sensor in i ant a clue lol

phazer
03-01-11, 11:29 PM
Yes! The lambda sensor is in the manifold just above where the twin branch down pipe is bolted.

waynes sri
04-01-11, 07:01 PM
Yes! The lambda sensor is in the manifold just above where the twin branch down pipe is bolted. yes a know what you mean ive seen that lol...i dont know if there all same but since having it always said it smells really rich

Balley
04-01-11, 07:25 PM
yeah the map sensor has the green plug and is on the bulk head

waynes sri
06-01-11, 07:34 PM
Yes! The lambda sensor is in the manifold just above where the twin branch down pipe is bolted. how hard is it to change a lambda?

phazer
06-01-11, 10:19 PM
Assuming you can get it out of the manifold it's a piece of cake. Thoroughly soak in Wd40 several times over a few days assuming no driving in between. You'll need a socket with a slot up the side (allows the wire to come out the side of the socket) unless it's loose enough to use an open ended spanner.

Replace sensor (no grease, being careful not to contaminate it with WD40, oil or otherwise) and reconnect.

waynes sri
07-01-11, 07:11 PM
Assuming you can get it out of the manifold it's a piece of cake. Thoroughly soak in Wd40 several times over a few days assuming no driving in between. You'll need a socket with a slot up the side (allows the wire to come out the side of the socket) unless it's loose enough to use an open ended spanner.

Replace sensor (no grease, being careful not to contaminate it with WD40, oil or otherwise) and reconnect. sound mate thanks...well ive now got a set of new h.t leads and a new dizzy as when a took dizzy off to see if was ****ted up it had got a crack in it and soon loon had put tape on the inside to hold it.so when i get these parts on hope they solve the prob if not then next a map sensor then a coil pack after that lol

phazer
07-01-11, 10:25 PM
No bother mate. Fixing the dizzy might sort it - you never know!

waynes sri
08-01-11, 03:21 PM
No bother mate. Fixing the dizzy might sort it - you never know! well phazer changed them to day and still no look even tho was a lot sharper..but as you might read in my other post un plug the map sensor and the spluterin stopped and when you footed it before would missfire but with that not plugged in it was fine even got it in to 3rd gear lol

phazer
08-01-11, 06:28 PM
Ahhh deffo map sensor related then. Check all the vacuum hoses - the rubber joiners on the drinking straw type pipe, and the other take offs at the one way valve for the brake servo.

If they are all ok, check the wiring to the sensor (though I would suspect this is ok). If all else fails haev a look for the ebay link for a cheapy map sensor somewhere else in Mech.

Edit: If it's in limp home mode it could still be lambda lol the ECU will ignore it all when on the 'default' map. Check out the map sensor, even a new one will be cheaper from eghey than a new bosch lambda sensor.

waynes sri
09-01-11, 12:09 PM
Ahhh deffo map sensor related then. Check all the vacuum hoses - the rubber joiners on the drinking straw type pipe, and the other take offs at the one way valve for the brake servo.

If they are all ok, check the wiring to the sensor (though I would suspect this is ok). If all else fails haev a look for the ebay link for a cheapy map sensor somewhere else in Mech.

Edit: If it's in limp home mode it could still be lambda lol the ECU will ignore it all when on the 'default' map. Check out the map sensor, even a new one will be cheaper from eghey than a new bosch lambda sensor. well had a look at pipes a wires and all seems fine at that end so am guna ask few people see if they have a map sensor to try as if it wasnt that a would have wasted yet more money which a seem to do a lot of with this car lol...if the lambda wouldnt come out phazer would that mean id after buy a new manifold?? a must say tho with plug out of map sensor it run a lot sweeter than its even done and sounded really deep lol

Adam
09-01-11, 12:15 PM
Id try another map sensor then. Loads of 90s vauxhalls used the same sensor(astras/corsas etc)

I wouldnt say its the lambda because the ecu ignores that until the engine is warmed up, so it should have no effect on the engines running whilst cold.

waynes sri
09-01-11, 12:21 PM
but a would have said even with map unplug if it was lambda shouldnt it still run crap with map unplug?

MattBrown
09-01-11, 12:57 PM
Has it got standard injectors?

Has it got the standard, un fukked with fuel reg? (pikey squashing spring, "I know more then vauxhall" etc)

Has it got the correct plugs in?

Are the plugs gapped correctly?

Is the timing set right?

Compression test?

Timed up correctly?

Aprart from all the above, its moving on to more "changing bits" for elimination etc.