PDA

View Full Version : timming in nova

daire54
01-01-11, 11:09 PM
i have to get timming done in my nova/corsa A. its currently a 1.0l.
am itl have to be set using 1 of them electronic guns(lack of knowledge).!

anyway when my car was running it would stay running for 20 mins, but sometimes it may just conk out on me. the first thing im going to do is fit new battery. then i was wondering should i get a knew alternator?.
* the car used to squeel when u hit 400rpm etc, but i changed the fan belt, but i wonder is it tight enough?.. or is the bearings in the alternator gone?,, any1 have a soloution to my problem guys?.. cheers:)

dan23
01-01-11, 11:38 PM
if the cars starts without any trouble the batery an alternator should be fine

the squeling was probably the fan belt you should be able to check the tightness of it by twisting it see the haynes manaul for diagram

does the car have a manual choke or electronic
for it conk out in 20 mins makes me thik its a fueling issue
does it start up ok after its conked out

does it missfire at all you may need to change the rotor arm and maybe spark plugs . i m sure some else will have some more info

i remember my first nova was a 1Litre i changed the rotor arm an an set it up with feeler gauge an it started as soon as you turned the key before you even had chance to move your hand away from the key

daire54
02-01-11, 12:00 AM
am the car is off the road 2 onths now as im doin it up etc.
before this i don't think i got it to start when turning key without reving it a small bit. its a manual choke or is that ok that id have yo rev it, ??

ah it didnt conk i just turned it off. am i dano il have to get the timing right 1st anyway id say. thee spark plugs are newish and leads 2

dan23
02-01-11, 12:31 AM
sounds about right that you had to rev it
you should be able to get the timing right so it can be driven without using a timming gun

it tells you in haynes manual if i remember correct a notch on the crank pulley lines up with a pointer an you remove spark plug number 1 an feel for compression by putting your finger in the hole while moving car . then set the rotor arm with feeler gauge it should run pretty much spot on after that

i m sure someone will corect me if i m wrong ?