PDA

View Full Version : how low?

Derick-Sport
31-12-10, 12:31 PM
the how low are the coilovers set to drop with the helper spring still in and the adjuster wound all the way down? i have some fk coils that i got for xmas
cheers guys

david dixon
02-01-11, 10:45 AM
I think its a case of suck it and see, they only tell you the amount of drop with the helper in.

David.

peester
02-01-11, 11:04 AM
keith robinson might know - he ran fk's with helpers out on his old 1300 NDZ i think

pie
02-01-11, 11:16 AM
if you want to go low get some shorter coilover springs from gaz :thumb:

that way the helper springs wont be on there

or you colud take the helper spring out, but the ride would be stiff as lol

Iain
02-01-11, 11:52 AM
Thought helper springs were supposed to fully compress when its down on the ground and shouldn't affect ride quality?

nans_nova
02-01-11, 12:34 PM
If doing it properley when on the ground there should be between 1 and 1.5 mm between each coil on the helper spring to give u that little bit of comfat for the road and curbs on the track lol

MK999
02-01-11, 12:38 PM
If doing it properley when on the ground there should be between 1 and 1.5 mm between each coil on the helper spring to give u that little bit of comfat for the road and curbs on the track lol

Impossible, the helper springs are absolute pansies compared to the actual springs, they purely hold the full spring in place while the car is jacked up. They have a big enough spring rate to compress very little with the weight of one spring on them (2kg would be a good over estimate) they certainly couldn't hold up 750kg/4. You only need to look at the size of the coils to realise this.

stevie-p
02-01-11, 05:14 PM
my helpers are out and have been for over a year ride is not affected but they go silly low witough them in and the coils dont sit in there seats when jacked bearing in mind its a bmw

Derick-Sport
02-01-11, 07:22 PM
ill be leaving them in just for peace of mind i wouldnt want to go stupid low on a 'budget' coilover anyways :) cheers for the replys