PDA

View Full Version : 13s firing trouble

Rickyb
30-12-10, 08:27 PM
hi all well this is as the story goes i put a 13s engine out of a mk1 astra into my nova but didnt anti freeze it (i know im an idiot) but thats nothing i asked my dad if it had frozen as i was away from home he said he would check he rang back later on that day saying the coolant hoses are frozen and the car wont start so i told him to leave it be.
when i can home and had a mess with it it turns out the water pumps been frozen solid and its torn the teath of the cambelt:roll: so i let it thaw out then timed it up and fitted a new cambelt but it wouldnt fire up so ive cleaned the plugs and gave it anothe try it eventually fires up but on 2 or 3 and dies if you let the accelirator off but wen your trying to give it a bit of revs it starts poping big ass flames out of the exhaust now ive checked the firing order and double checked it with my daily and its right so what i was thinking is could the cam be 180 degrees out or is it somthing totaly different?
i really want to get it sorted soon as its a 50k minter and i feel a knob for not putting anti freeze in.
oh and sorry for the essay :(
rep for comments that cure it.:thumb:
rickyb

MattBrown
30-12-10, 08:56 PM
Sounds like with no teeth on the belt winding it over has bent some valves?

John
30-12-10, 08:57 PM
as per matts post, check the compression.

Rickyb
30-12-10, 09:04 PM
are they not non-interferance? please say thay are i always thought thay were? if its that john do you want to buy the right engine for your car? lol

John
30-12-10, 09:07 PM
They are inteferance iirc. Lol, yeah i'll have it back (tenner lol)

Rickyb
30-12-10, 09:18 PM
hmm so thats what its done then its gonna have f**ked the head. mint
and ive got more than half that in the new cambelt :D

Nobby
30-12-10, 09:39 PM
i thought there were definently non interfierence?

Rickyb
30-12-10, 09:42 PM
ah well at the worst ive got to rebuild the engine or might not or i could try and find a 1200 and do the 1200 block 1300 inners trick to make 1400 but im not quite sure how its done.

Rickyb
31-12-10, 01:21 PM
aanyone anymore info on weather the 13s motor is interferance or not? im gonna go and check the timing again soon im hoping ive timed it up wrong or somthin lol like if the cam's 180 deg out could do the same ehh?

autograss_racer
31-12-10, 01:43 PM
Suunds to me like it's not timed up properly. Go through it all and do it properly, it's a piece of cake on a 1300 just make sure you get ALL the timing marks. Mine wouldn't fire a couple of years ago, towed it up the road in gear and it popped and gargled like yours but would never catch, turned out it had slipped a tooth on the belt, I don't know if it's interference but I got away with it. I think you'd know if you'd bent valves, the sound would be terrible and you'd never get compression.
HOWEVER - I froze mine up one winter, then that spring found I had a crack in the block from cyl 2 to outside, and toward cyl 3. Freezing a cast iron block against an ally cyl head is a big no-no, it surprised me how much force a bit of frozen water can exert!

Try re-timing it properly, if that works then great but either way I'd do a compression test on each cylinder.

Rickyb
31-12-10, 07:00 PM
well i went to her today and i couldnt find the comp tester so i took all the plugs out and got the old fella to turn it over whilst i put my thumb over each hole and it plew my thumb away then sucked it in again and felt the same on each cyl.
so then i took the dizzy cap off and checked all the timing marks again and it all lined up bang on so i cleaned the plugs regaped the plugs cleaned all the terminals in the dizzy cap put it back togethe, turned the key and bang it fired right up and sounded better than it has ever so it was just me being a noob. one thing tho its smoking really bad and its a real thick blue smoke.
thanks for all that commented have some repage.
rick

pikey1986
31-12-10, 07:16 PM
great news on firing the old gal but blue smoke means its burning oil :cry:

ryansnova
31-12-10, 08:28 PM
mine did this but ther was no blu smoke

John
01-01-11, 12:21 PM
Good news you got it running again :) bad news on the blue smoke :(