PDA

View Full Version : tighning head bolts c20xe

colebag
30-12-10, 07:33 PM
just doin the head gasket on my car the engine is out of the car so unsure about tightening the bolts up ive set the torque to 18ft pounds but dont get if what to do now as its on bout four stages in the book

Rich
30-12-10, 08:02 PM
I advise using the early male headed bolts as the late ones tend to strip the thread out of the block.

You work in a spiral starting in the middle which it should show you in the book, (what book? haynes?)

First is 25nm, go over each bolt in a spiral, then go around them again, somtimes they loosen up when you do the next bolts as it pulls the head down uneven.

then each bolt 90 degrees, 90 again, i do the last round 60 degrees as another 90 is mega tight. (i know theres some different torque settings around, vauxhall changed them later on)

A tip is to mark the tops of each bolt in the 12oclock position, if you lose bearing of which bolt you were on its easy to spot.

napalm_27
30-12-10, 08:09 PM
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/TORQUE_SETTINGS/2.0L%2016V.htm

do them in proper order or risk cracking the head
you are spose to undo them in the same order as you do them up aswell as you can crack the head also

Pistol Pete
30-12-10, 08:55 PM
http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Info_sheets/TORQUE_SETTINGS/2.0L%2016V.htm

do them in proper order or risk cracking the head
you ae spose to undo them in the same order as you do them up aswell as you can crack the head also

Wrong. Click you own link. Removal is at the bottom of the page!

Removal, start at one end and work along. Tightening, start in the middle and work outwards.

napalm_27
30-12-10, 08:57 PM
Wrong. Click you own link. Removal is at the bottom of the page!

Removal, start at one end and work along. Tightening, start in the middle and work outwards.

never read it just made sure it had the tightening sequence on it
i was taught to undo them the same as doing them up to be safe

colebag
30-12-10, 09:20 PM
ok cheers guys i done them how you said rich cheers mate

Rich
30-12-10, 09:31 PM
no prob, engine going in your nova?

colebag
30-12-10, 09:39 PM
yes mate just wanted to do the main stuff to the engine before i put it in