PDA

View Full Version : e16se on 32/34 carb wont start?

IVI0USEY
30-12-10, 01:58 PM
car has been sat for good while and i decided to have a go starting it

done what was told and let the piston soak overnight before trying to turn it over which all went well spinning over no problem

my problems started when a dizzy failed just before laid it up for the long sit and since then i sourced new dizzy and coil setup to replace the bodged 1.6 cav that was fitted to it (not by me) but anyways now im getting good strong spark the leads plugs all good and have replaced dizzycap n rotar arm

am getting fuel as i dried it up before sit and am now running clean new fuel with new filter since trying to bring back to life

but for some strange reason it just wont do that last bit on starting it nearly goes then pops out the carb which made me think i had fit dizzy wrong so re fit and all is in basic possitions engine timing is all good leads in right order the only diffrence from my old dizzy is that this is now a nova setup not the cav 1?

any help much appreciated thanks

MattBrown
30-12-10, 02:04 PM
Firing order sounds out.

Or the ignition timing is drastically out.

IVI0USEY
30-12-10, 02:12 PM
i thought ignition timing. ive been playing around with positions all day but nowt??

the firing order is ok

a think have to go move it about bit more it just gonna be bad head lol

thanks 4 replying so quick

thegingerwhinger
30-12-10, 03:36 PM
is there compression?

MattBrown
30-12-10, 03:40 PM
Cam timing?

Bent valves etc?

IVI0USEY
30-12-10, 04:33 PM
ave got it sorted now it was bit bad head but the leads where out order on dizzy i plugged em up to what the haynes said:
1 top right 3 top left 4 bottom left 2 bottom right

i have now put them as:

1 top left then 3 bottom left 4 bottom right 2 top right

and with quick clean plugs and spin over without plugs re fit all and started with struggle but then was able to move dizzy to more suited position till can get it set up propperly but running smooth know thanks for all the help a quick replys

Stuart
30-12-10, 04:43 PM
I'd take that carb off and refit the injection setup (unless its for racing regs).... atleast you will see std power then lol

IVI0USEY
30-12-10, 05:05 PM
well erm its not fully a e16se i bought it with all the work done to it by mike stewart engineering at perth its had internal work like bottom end and head which think is from cavalier or astra and that matchs the inlet and carb and the carb re jetted to match modifications also a fast road cam kit few other bits also i dont have the wiring of inlet at all as it was a 1.2 carb shell

it goes ok when i had it on the road just rust made it fail mot so put it up for storage as lost ma driving licence

tommy8252
30-12-10, 06:10 PM
have the hydraulic lifters filled with oil properly? may be worth continuing to crank to see if it fires up more regularly.

Adam
30-12-10, 06:13 PM
I'd take that carb off and refit the injection setup (unless its for racing regs).... atleast you will see std power then lol
Amen brother! lol lol lol

But anyway, when no1 is at tdc at the end of compression stroke, where is the rotor arm pointing? To number 1 lead on the dizzy cap?

IVI0USEY
30-12-10, 06:23 PM
as previously posted all sorted now and its running ok was my own error of ht leads i just followed the haynes manual orignally which didnt work and had only tryed em a full 180deg swap after that did not move em all round 1 place anti clockwise which in the end worked

and as also previousdly stated i dont have the inlet manifold or anything to do with it or a head that it will mate to or the wiring ? its a carb shell a carb head a carb manifold only the bottom end block is e16se nothing else not even pistons or rods

autograss_racer
31-12-10, 01:55 PM
its a carb shell a carb head a carb manifold only the bottom end block is e16se nothing else not even pistons or rods

Sounds like it should be a stormer to me.... do you live anywhere near Alston?
I know a couple of lads up there who might be able to point you in the right direction....

IVI0USEY
31-12-10, 04:51 PM
Sounds like it should be a stormer to me.... do you live anywhere near Alston?
I know a couple of lads up there who might be able to point you in the right direction....

am just west carlisle