PDA

View Full Version : 1.3sr won't start/Battery earth lead getting hot

DTM22
30-12-10, 11:49 AM
Right,

I've done all the usual checks,the plugs are getting a spark, there's fuel coming through, and everything appears to be in the correct order, however the engine will not start, when turning over the engine sounds like it isn't turning over as quickly as it should be then after a few turns it slowly stops turning almost as if the battery is dying(which it isn't).

I've also noticed the battery earth lead is getting quite hot, I've done some searching online and read that the lead is probably knackered and is creating resistance, would this explain why the engine turns over slowly then starts dying?

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks. :thumb:

bmw156
30-12-10, 12:05 PM
as a quick solution.

disconnect the earth, and bridge it with a jump lead to somewhere on the chassis.

it will tell you if the lead is the problem or not :)

DTM22
30-12-10, 12:11 PM
Good idea :thumb:

But it'll have to wait a while as i won't be near the car for a while yet!.

Bit busy at the mo :roll:

twinchoke
30-12-10, 06:36 PM
if the terminal is getting hot its crossing over somewere (negative getting a positive from somewere) try a different battery if not follow the earth and make sure its not earthing on a positive just a guess??

Rich
30-12-10, 08:14 PM
Check the earth strap from teh gearbox to chassis leg, its the main engine earth and common to give a lot of faults

Mike
31-12-10, 10:00 AM
Also check your clutch cable is not giving a live to the shell (touch the clutch cable, if its hot, heres your problem) cant remember how I done it but this was a problem that occured for me many moons ago after changing an engine.

DTM22
31-12-10, 10:04 AM
Okay.

I've tried bmw156's suggestion and found that the jump lead starts getting hot aswell :mad: . also tryed another battery which made no difference whatsoever.

I've already checked the g-box earth earth strap and that appears to be fine.

I'll also look into twinchoke's suggestion and check it's not crossing over anywhere.

Mike
31-12-10, 10:07 AM
Thinking about it actually, for a neutral return to be heating it up, it can only be a very poor earthing connection.

dan23
31-12-10, 04:27 PM
remove the earth leads ( the one from the battery an the gear box) clean the surfaces that they bolt an clean the end of the leads an try again

i have the same problem not got round to fixing it though