PDA

View Full Version : X16XE Engine idle problems... Knowledge advice needed?

Grey
28-12-10, 06:43 PM
Rite i have a 1995 corsa Gsi with the X16XE engine early type...

When i bought it off saloonwoody he gave me a icv (idle control valve) to fit wich was off a other 1600 i fitted it, and well it wasnt any good so made it idle on its throttle cable it hunted slightly but done the job.. but obviously the icv wasnt working at all so i bought a NEW one...

note i replaced the top inlet gasket, TB gasket, and cleaned the throttle body as it looked like this! i also blanked the egr valve with piece of plate as i thought this may of been the issue of the sludge!!

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Greys-red-gti/20101212_002.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Greys-red-gti/TB.jpg

Fitted it today and its alot better at start up BUT is now back at its old ways of stalling at junctions... so tomorrow i am going to replace the top inlet gasketas its been taken off twice and check everywhere for airleaks...

Is there anything else that could be a problem? im getting ecu wiped soon hopefully.

Hope you can help or give advise??

Cheers

Grey :thumb:

comptoncj
28-12-10, 06:46 PM
IIRC EGR valves make them cut out, also are you getting a speed signal to it?

Grey
28-12-10, 06:58 PM
IIRC EGR valves make them cut out, also are you getting a speed signal to it?

Ah ok then so maybe its a good idea to take the plate out?

as to the speed signal.. sorry what do you mean?

comptoncj
28-12-10, 06:59 PM
The baby xe engines need a speed pulse from the speed sensor in the gearbox as it controls the icv.

General Baxter
28-12-10, 07:01 PM
if that was broken there would be an EML

Grey
28-12-10, 07:05 PM
well at the moment i have no speedo as i havent got round to doing the spedo cable... also the only eml comeing on at the min is a abs light lol :confused:
Most probably the abs sensor...

Sooo anyideas or just the egr blanking plate to remove?

Grey
29-12-10, 07:14 PM
any one else know of anything or just remove the plate ive blanked the egr valve off with??:confused:

Adam
29-12-10, 07:18 PM
ABS is related to the speed signal....
So i put money on that being your problem.

Southie
29-12-10, 07:20 PM
If it's the early gsi then it will be the C16xe which don't have a egr. Is your running a afm if so this is how you can tell which one it is ;)

AlexW
29-12-10, 07:21 PM
Agreed, VSS fault.

Southie, He said X16XE anyway, its in the title :p

Southie
29-12-10, 07:24 PM
Agreed, VSS fault.

Southie, He said X16XE anyway, its in the title :p
I know what he said but with him saying early type then it would be the C not X :p So it must of had a engine swap then...

Grey
29-12-10, 07:27 PM
If it's the early gsi then it will be the C16xe which don't have a egr. Is your running a afm if so this is how you can tell which one it is ;)

Woops must be a C16XE then??? no paperwork showing its had a engine change... lol shows what ive been told! i know it definetly has a egr valve :thumb: as iva blanked it off ......

Sorry feel a dumb ass now :tard:

Southie
29-12-10, 07:30 PM
Woops must be a C16XE then lol shows what ive been told! i know it definetly has a egr valve :thumb: as iva blanked it off ......

Sorry feel a dumb ass now :tard:
If it's got a egr then it's the X16 lol put up a picture of your engine bay just to clarify please :)

AlexW
29-12-10, 07:39 PM
'95 will have a X16 ;)

Grey
29-12-10, 07:47 PM
just ran outside lol

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e85/Greys-red-gti/100_3966.jpg

AlexW
29-12-10, 07:50 PM
deffo x16xe

Southie
Your right as a X16 lol but it's not the early one though they were 1994 lol

General Baxter
them engine bays are such a bloody mess lol

Grey
29-12-10, 07:55 PM
i agree a horrible mess they are but lots of fun lol

soo what we thinking then do the egr plate first then go from there?? rep to all that are helping lol :roll:

"EDIT I would rep southie and alex but aparently i have to share the lurrve lol"

AlexW
29-12-10, 07:58 PM
EGR is nothing. You need to fit the speedo cable and see what happens, Its most likely the VSS ****ed though.

Grey
29-12-10, 08:01 PM
VSS ****ed though.

come again.... VSS what is that lol sorry havent learned the short language much :roll: even the iirc i dont know lol :thumb:

General Baxter
29-12-10, 08:02 PM
veh speed sensor, it sits where the speedo cable attaches in the gearbox,

think digi dash transudcer

Grey
29-12-10, 08:15 PM
OK......

soo if i have this correct in thinking you are saying that the speedo needs to be working for the vss is working (deep breath) for it not to stall at junctions and to solve its idle problems yes??

Nothing to do with eml abs light comeing up ..... or egr valve been blanked off...

AlexW
29-12-10, 08:19 PM
Fit the speedo cable, If the speedo still dont work, Your need to find a new VSS, Or if the speedo does work, and the car still stalls when slowing down, Your also need a new VSS.

There is a small chance, that with the speedo cable fitted, the car will stop stalling.

Dayle_
30-12-10, 03:45 PM
I need to do this on our nova when i put the engine back in. Ive just checked and found a red and blue wire from the ecu just cut off and not connected. (also speedo wasn't connected nova gsi clocks) and that idled horribly and wanted to cut out whenever possible.