PDA

View Full Version : nova rally car shell

orangebus
28-12-10, 05:24 PM
hi there new to png just wondering if anyone knows any places in scotland to get my nova shell industrial sand blasted or dipped of sum sort?

thanks del.

dc1984
28-12-10, 05:31 PM
welcome along bud.

NOV4_SPORT
28-12-10, 05:47 PM
Hello and welcome, iam not sure of anywhere located in scotland that could help you, have you tried looking it up on google ?

iain

Edd
28-12-10, 06:03 PM
Your best off getting it blasted IMO

The only place that dips shells afaik is Surface Processing in the midlands, I have one of there dipped shells and would not recommend them

Welcome btw

Bubba
28-12-10, 06:45 PM
heloo :thumb:

just make sure if it is blasted there is guna be a shell left ;)

MattBrown
28-12-10, 06:46 PM
Your best off getting it blasted IMO

The only place that dips shells afaik is Surface Processing in the midlands, I have one of there dipped shells and would not recommend them

Welcome btw

Can I ask why EDD?

Mike
28-12-10, 06:52 PM
Can I ask why EDD?

They dont wash them out properly. Ive heard a few people with bad comments about there work, on here & people I know personally elsewhere with rally cars & spare shells.

Edd
28-12-10, 07:02 PM
Exactly that Mike, to be fair I have only found a couple of things wrong with the shell, the box section under the sunvisors is the worse bit, I presume acid left in box section, then when it was coated the acid causes the coating to bubble leaving bare metal, I solved it by filling it up with waxoyl.

As I bought the shell after this was all done I'm bothered by it but if I'd payed whatever they charge and found it I'd be very pissed off and would want a refund.

Mike
28-12-10, 07:07 PM
Exactly that Mike, to be fair I have only found a couple of things wrong with the shell, the box section under the sunvisors is the worse bit, I presume acid left in box section, then when it was coated the acid causes the coating to bubble leaving bare metal, I solved it by filling it up with waxoyl.

As I bought the shell after this was all done I'm bothered by it but if I'd payed whatever they charge and found it I'd be very pissed off and would want a refund.

You'll also find on the whole, the office staff there are mostly stuck up each others ****'s & not to interested in doing work for private customers.

Edd
28-12-10, 07:16 PM
Tbh if its done correctly it the best thing to have done to preserve a shell

BUT, seeing as there the only place to offer this service and can NOT do it properly so it seems, IMO your better off just filling up all the box sections with waxoyl.

Edd
28-12-10, 07:20 PM
iPhone fail

orangebus
28-12-10, 07:23 PM
thanks lads, and thanks for the heads up on that edd, we have a fairly big enuff sand blaster in the garage used it before to do the underneith and engine bay on my corsa took for ever and alot of mess to clear up lol, but if comes to it a'l just to it lol.

cheers del.

Sturge
28-12-10, 08:11 PM
I have heard there is another company that does the dipping, saw the advert in a classic car mag earlier in the year, but didn't look into it at the time. Would be worth looking into though as I was fairly impressed with the advert.

As said, SPL can be problematic if they think they can get away with it, spent a lot of time up there in the past. But it's definitely the best way to clean and preserve a shell. They just like to rush things as shells are just a little sideline for them that get in the way of the real work

Mike
28-12-10, 08:17 PM
When I was last at the surface processing company I use, there was a guy there who restores E Type Jags who was talking to the receptionist about SPL, he wasnt too impressed with them to say the least lol