PDA

View Full Version : 2 very crap days

blue_peg_16v
26-12-10, 03:12 PM
Right my dad has 2 bungalows local to me (one was my grans and the othere was a renervation thats now complete and forsale) hes been away for 10 days to gran canaria as the bnb is quiet right now he got back christmas day, the day befor christmas eve i got a phone call from the cleaner at the bnb the neighbour had called from next door to my grans old house saying there was a leek i dont even have a key so nipped to my dads mates got a key and went round expecting a small leek fo find the niagra falls coming out the lintal above the door opened the door and the entire bungalow was under 2in of water so turned the water off and the electric then using a snow shovel got most of the water out the door, next morning afer visiting 4 b n q's (all sold out) i had 2 wet vacks so went back and got the majority out so the carpets were just wet we left at about 2 on christmas eve, leaving all the windows on vent so air could circulate, got home and we needed to go to tesco for some last minute bits for crimbo dinner, we were passing my grans and for some unknown reason i decided to call in and check on the place decided to give the living room a quick vacume to get a bit more out the carpet, now the othere bungalow is just round the cornner and whilst im vacuming the neighbour came round desperatly looking for my dad explained she was just walking home and she heard a pop and now there was a big problem with the other bungalow at this point i started looking for beadle then realized hes dead so grabed the spare keys out my grans to find the same sight of water pissing out the brickwork and lintle, opening the doo there was 2 in of water in the kitchen, and it was starting to spread, now 2 hours earlier i had tryed to turn the water off and the stop cock wouldnt budge so i ran back to the car to get a spanner for leaverage praying that i wouldnt break the stop cock, luckily it didnt, i got the water off then spent 2 hours shoveling and hoovering again, (dont think it will be getting sold soon now oops, so my dad landed christmas day and instead of an hours drive to doncaster for a kip he had a 4 hour drive to whitby getting back at 2am this morning not the best crimbo ever, but alex had a good time wish i was 5 month old again no worries at all lol, im asking santa for webbed feet next year feel like i should have them after the amount of time ive spent in water the past 2 days

R1CH
26-12-10, 03:18 PM
Unlucky, thats what you get from leaving the water on in an empty house in this weather tho. Was any heating on in either bungalow ?

blue_peg_16v
26-12-10, 03:19 PM
Unlucky, thats what you get from leaving the water on in an empty house in this weather tho. Was any heating on in either bungalow ?

yes in both and the one thats for sale is all new oops

R1CH
26-12-10, 03:37 PM
B@stard, hopefully not too much damage done, doesn't sound to clever tho.

Danny mul
26-12-10, 05:54 PM
Thats a bit of a nightmare mate....gave yourself a good workout though....every cloud and all that jaz !!!!

lee-loon
26-12-10, 06:21 PM
I've got an empty house in doncaster think I best check it!

blue_peg_16v
26-12-10, 06:33 PM
B@stard, hopefully not too much damage done, doesn't sound to clever tho.

the second one isnt too bad tbf was lucky i was there, may need the kitchen doors replacing as on a couple the laminate has lifted a little when i looked today and obviously the pipe will need fixing but other than that it should be fine, the other well its still very wet, so we will see when its all dryed out again could of been alot worse the celings havent caved in but the plaster is blowing in places so we will see

Paul
26-12-10, 06:38 PM
The same thing happened to my mates house, estimated £30-40k of damage.

blue_peg_16v
26-12-10, 06:40 PM
i was like wtf do i do with this when i first walked in lol

Mike
26-12-10, 06:41 PM
The same thing happened to my mates house, estimated £30-40k of damage.

Can quite belive that TBH. A lot of my tradesmen mates are regulary getting calls for qouting work up from flood damage caused by water tanks & pipe working splitting.

It happened to me earlier in December when I was staying in wales, flooded a £20k++ static caravan & the immersion heater in the replacement static exploded like a snow machine :(

Paul
26-12-10, 06:45 PM
Pipe burst in the loft, crack in nearly every wall upstairs, bathroom ceiling is ****ed, stairs are soaked, nearly every carpet for the bin, downstairs 5/6 doors dont shut, cracks in nearly all th walls, kitchd ceiling was on the floor, its just a total mess.

Gutting really as it was nearly sold too!

blue_peg_16v
26-12-10, 06:53 PM
that sounds bad mate, its the wait for trades when claiming through insurance too due to the weather we have had plumbers and plasterers seem to be a bit busy.

mike you up for a decorating job in donny lol