PDA

View Full Version : DIY lowering

Nova-Flair
05-06-03, 03:15 PM
i have just bought a set of 60mm springs with the front ones still in their strut. how hard would these be to fit myself? bearing in mind i have no spring compressors or a torque wrench.

i have a rough idea of how to do the front ones but i dont know where to start on the back ones. i think you might have to jack the car up so that the axle drops and dislocates the springs????

customnova
05-06-03, 03:26 PM
i did mine. the front is harder than the back, there is a screw in the back axle that keeps it together, basically loosen that and the axle will drop. once done, put the new one in and jack it up back too the position and put the screw back in

Ste_Nova
05-06-03, 04:09 PM
easy cause the top mounts are on

burgessovsalford
05-06-03, 04:48 PM
on the fronts- 4bolts to undo its well easy. just gotta take wheel off to get access to the 2 bottom wheels....

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 11:42 PM
yer as everyone says - just swap the front strut

if it aint broke dont fix it

snapper
06-06-03, 06:15 PM
easy mate. just tighten the big bolts up a lot and tighten the little ones up not as much 8)

4 bolts for the front and 2 for the rear.

Nova-Flair
08-06-03, 10:42 PM
the front struts that i got are standard ones will all the standard shocks be able to cope with the 60mm drop??? im not too bothered about the front ones cos i have mine as spares but the rear ones i havent.

im planning to buy uprated shocks eventually anyway but was wondering how long the standard ones would hold out.

Cooch
09-06-03, 12:51 PM
DONT BOTHER WITH A TORQUE WRENCH JUS DO EM UP FT COS THATS WAT I DID WITH MINE WHEN I LOWERED MINE BUT GET SOME SPRING COMPRESORS OTHERWISE U CUD DO SOME SERIOUS DAMAGE TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS COS WHEN IT GOES WRONG THEM SPRINGS DONT STOP THEY GO THROUGH WALLS I HAVE SEEN IT DONE

Ste_Nova
09-06-03, 01:55 PM
i just undid mine on the floor with an air gun... and let the spring shoot off

dave.gsi
09-06-03, 02:06 PM
and stood well back lol?

Andrew V
09-06-03, 03:14 PM
It's not that bad if they fly off I kinda didn't attach the compressor properly and it flew off in my face :oops: but didn't even get a bruise