PDA

View Full Version : Let Rebuild

Plug
24-12-10, 01:48 AM
Right i know ive had a thread like this before but now im serious lol

Before i go ahead and order up some bits i would like for someone who knows whats needed to give me a list to make sure i dont forget anything.

Im going to be rebuilding the Let so its reliable and wont be running anything over phase 2 for a year,

Headgasket set (steel or Gm?)
Double valve springs (needed or not?)
Solid lifters (needed or not?)
Bronze valve guides (needed or not?)
Cam belt kit
Oil pump
Water pump
sump gasket (got)
8v baffle plate (got)

Im new to all this and thats about all i can think of really add away

AlanH
24-12-10, 03:47 AM
Headgasket set (steel or Gm?) 3 layer steel + new bolts
Double valve springs (needed or not?) not for phase 2
Solid lifters (needed or not?) not without lairy cams, as above not for ph2
Bronze valve guides (needed or not?) depends on condition of yours really, would do stem seals though and re-seat valves
Cam belt kit - yep
Oil pump - dont buy a cheapy repro one. modified z-let one is best or so im told
Water pump - yep
would advise arp rod bolts if you're running std. internals as the std. ones are made from a mixture of really soft steel and toffee lol

Plug
24-12-10, 02:48 PM
right so can somebody who knows what there on about write me a list of everything needed so i can order it all in one hit please?

Adam
24-12-10, 02:50 PM
You can run PH2 on normal everything tbh.

Just need changes to the fpr/injectors and fuel pump for safety.

Pistol Pete
24-12-10, 02:51 PM
Maybe PM Steveboyslim (is he on here?) on MIG or phillip off here seems to be able to source parts.

Plug
24-12-10, 02:55 PM
ok well whats needed in a standard rebuild?

I pm'd steve and got a response with various prices.

Just wanted a list of everything so i can pop to vauxhall and see what they have or ring auto vaux

I will be looking at upgrading above phase 2 in a year so if there little uprated parts that are worth doing now i will.

Edd
24-12-10, 02:59 PM
I probably say you'll have two lists, on for the bottom end and one for the head

Are you rebuilding it yourself ?

Pistol Pete
24-12-10, 03:00 PM
Autovaux or local motorfactors would get my vote. Genuine Vaux will be silly money IMO.

Plug
24-12-10, 03:09 PM
i will be doing the work myself, well what i can do then getting my mate to do the bits i cant as hes a mechanic.

I really dont have a clue when it comes to engine but what better way to learn, do it yourself :)

I dont mind spending aslong as i know its going to last :)

Edd
24-12-10, 03:16 PM
If the bottom end needs honing, which you would want done if your fitting new rings, I would seriously consider getting all the parts and taking it to a professional engine rebuilders and getting the bottom done.

Then fit the bottom end and build the head and the rest of it yourself.

There's a excellent place here in Bridgwater, I could get you a price.

Plug
24-12-10, 03:26 PM
if i hone the bores which might need doing anyway as i did run it without oil and water from taunton to home :(

Wouldnt i need new pistons and rods then thou?

Edd
24-12-10, 03:33 PM
Doubt it/maybe

But seeing as you have a few doubts I would have the bottom end rebuilt by someone who would check all this out

Westside Motors in Bridgwater did my XE and craigs 16se, very well built, good price as well

Last thing you want is to spend all that money on bits for something to go wrong

Paul
24-12-10, 03:40 PM
Rings, bearings main&rods

Front & back oil seal, ARP rod bolts

Sump gasket, rocker cover gasket, head gasket, inlet & exhaust gasket.

Stem seals, oil pump to block gasket,

New plugs, rotor arm, leads etc and jus clean everything up!

Alsi do the belt kit while ur at it.

Plug
24-12-10, 03:41 PM
yea i know what you mean i think im going to get the car down the lock up if me mate lets me borrow some space haha and rip the engine out and give it a little strip down.

Depending on what money i can get my hands on may end up buying new forged internals seen them on the bay for £700 rods and pistons

so paul you reckon i should get new rods then?

Paul
24-12-10, 03:58 PM
Phase 2, wouldnt bother mate

Rich
24-12-10, 04:57 PM
just make sure you buy know brands like mahl/goatse for rings/bearings.

Bores will need honing if your fitting rings, for the cost just get it done at an engine place. Tool is £30 or so, engine builders will probly charge £40 or so. Head may need a skim.

How far did you drive with no oil?? id be checking cam bearings etc for scoring as well as everything else. No oil round your turbo wont be doing you any favours either!

Paul
24-12-10, 05:11 PM
Eem rich, xe/lets dont have cam bearings?

bmw156
24-12-10, 05:12 PM
have a look in my chevette thread in the first few pages. pics of an XE rebuild might be useful to you.

also, if the engine will be sitting around. get some stuff to put on the bearings. its like oil but hangs about while the engine sits. someone name it for me please.

and watch the series "a 4x4 is born" they rebuild an engine in that and it has some VERY useful info.

philip
24-12-10, 09:03 PM
anything up to 300bhp a standard goetze gasket will be fine.

Headgasket set (steel or Gm?) - either goetze or cometic
Double valve springs (needed or not?) nope - only for bigger cams or for reliability
Solid lifters (needed or not?) again a reliability mod and if doing lots of track days they have their advantages over hydraulics
Bronze valve guides (needed or not?) - ran motors with over 400bhp on stock guides
Cam belt kit - gates belt kit
Oil pump - most people seem to be using the zlet pumps now
Water pump - decent motor factors
sump gasket (got)
8v baffle plate (got)

Plug
24-12-10, 09:08 PM
Right so phillip could you supply a complete engine Rebuild kit?

Im going to reuse old pistons and rods but replace bearings and use ARPs

If your possible to supply a gen zlet oil pump with modified pickup include that aswell.

Pm with a price and whats included please :)

Rich
25-12-10, 07:02 PM
Eem rich, xe/lets dont have cam bearings?

Mean cam caps lol

MattBrown
25-12-10, 08:01 PM
If the bottom end needs honing, which you would want done if your fitting new rings, I would seriously consider getting all the parts and taking it to a professional engine rebuilders and getting the bottom done.

Then fit the bottom end and build the head and the rest of it yourself.

There's a excellent place here in Bridgwater, I could get you a price.

I'm going to disagree, if you have some mechanical nouse, then buy a honing tool, and other nessasary tools instead of paying someone.

Also, I was always told the phase maps are for standard injectors.

Lee h put Saab reds in his and it was richer then he is!

Dayle_
26-12-10, 12:20 PM
have a look in my chevette thread in the first few pages. pics of an XE rebuild might be useful to you.

also, if the engine will be sitting around. get some stuff to put on the bearings. its like oil but hangs about while the engine sits. someone name it for me please.

and watch the series "a 4x4 is born" they rebuild an engine in that and it has some VERY useful info.

I've always used Graphogen engine assembly compound.