PDA

View Full Version : Which Gearbox?

mattcogg
05-06-03, 10:37 AM
Hi,

I have recently been informed that my gearbox is on its way out not soon but on its way! I have to replace the crankshaft oil seal so with the gearbox coming out I thought it would be good to replace it. With dreams of 40's and a cam surely it would be better to have a better gearbox. After reading total vauxhall and their articles on gearboxes I am still confused. What would be the best gearbox for my car obviously I wll be gettin it from the scrapper so something common and available I have heard an F20 is good? I am running about 80-90 bhp at the mo so what do you think. I have a 1.4sr engine!

Thanks again
Matt :D :D :D

Dicko
05-06-03, 10:52 AM
either f10-5, f13cr or f15cr

Ben (lurk75)
05-06-03, 05:37 PM
Hello Matt.

The F20 will be to high for your engine.

I would go for the F13 CR as these are the ones used on the Nova GSi's primarly.

Just to let you know if you r after any bits me and a friend have opened up in a small unit just breaking Nova's we have basically everything you could need at the moment. We have a F10 5 speed a few F13 CR and a F15 and F20.
We have got a SRi a GSi and a couple of SR's if you need anything give me a shout my number is still the same.

Ben

brian
05-06-03, 05:43 PM
don't buy anything off him matt, he wouldn't break a lawnmower!!!!
only messin Ben. this might be the start of a booming business :wink:

Fester
05-06-03, 06:05 PM
i will be buying again if the need for parts arises again

dav
05-06-03, 11:36 PM
From personal experience i would use an F13 long ratio box out of a 1.6 astra. i had one of these in my nova with a nova sport engine that used to rev right round and i could pull 40 in 1st 80 yes 80 in 2nd and 110 in 3rd.

Ben (lurk75)
05-06-03, 11:50 PM
don't buy anything off him matt, he wouldn't break a lawnmower!!!!
only messin Ben. this might be the start of a booming business :wink:

At least i have got some morals and dont break one of the best novas ever built (i dont care if you built it!)

I have known Matt for ages through a friend and he has bought a few bits of me before, he only lives about 5 miles away.

MC
06-06-03, 08:33 AM
Best combo of standard parts is:

F10CR box (you should have one of these already) and a CW&pinion from an F13WR box.

These will give the best acceleration.

MC

mattcogg
06-06-03, 11:26 AM
Hi,

Ok so my best bet really would be a F13 I got that much but now I get totally confused with close ratio and long ratio. Is long ratio the same as wide ratio (WR) and what is the difference performance wise. Is it easy to do what MC said and take the pinion and change it what is a pinion?!? I hate gearboxes sounds complicated! Would an F13 go straight in there or does anything need changing?

Thanks again guys

Matt