PDA

View Full Version : Street parking advice

Hoochie
21-12-10, 05:29 PM
Ok....I have a problem with the parking in our street, it is a very narrow road and at a push you can have 2 small cars pass each other on it.
Every house has a driveway and those with more than 2 cars choose to give up the garden and have extra drive way..( this includes us).
There is a house opposite us has 3 cars and a works van, on top of this visitors most nights, making this 5-6 cars out there at any 1 time, they park 1 car on their driveway( which would easily hold 3) and the rest on the path in various places along the street.
What pi$$es me off is there is always one on the path opposite our drive, along with a one of our neighbours many visiting family members who park outside our house makes it a ball ache reversing off our drive.
A few times i've come home to find various people parked over our drive way...and by 6 pm it's like living in an NCP carpark.
what can i do about this without getting into verbal fights with the neighbours as we've only been here 3 months and it's really starting to boil my pi$$.
I'm dreading the christmas 2 weeks when people are off and visiting.....:(

Andy
21-12-10, 05:32 PM
key them all,my workmate had a similar problem.soon stopped it all

draper
21-12-10, 05:33 PM
nothing legally as long as all the cars are taxed, mot'd and insured

if cars are parked on the pavements you may be able to complain to the police/council but i wouldnt hold my breath tbh

i have the similar problems with my neighbours, they even double park with my car sometimes and the people further down the road (i live in a cul-de-sac) ALWAYS come knocking on my door to move my car.

one neighbour even delibratly reversed into 1 of mine a few years ago !!

Hoochie
21-12-10, 05:35 PM
Thing is.....some of them are making it difficult for people to walk down the street, especially as today is bin day and the paths are littered with wheelie bins and recycle bins, some of the old dears are doing mass obstacle courses just to get to the end of the street.

Edit to add there are times when the numpties even park on both sides of the road opposite each other leaving it hard to get past at all, maybe within a few mm.

Danny mul
21-12-10, 05:35 PM
Park one of your cars out side your house and leave it there till you are going to bed then drive it in the drive...My parents have the same issue so when im visiting I ring the day before and my owl boy parks his car out side so when I arrive I go straight into the drive

mowgli
21-12-10, 05:36 PM
tape measure & photographs....for a start, then if the gap is less than 2.55m, call the local fire officer. and ask his advice, as the fire brigade need a minimum width to get the engine down the road.

Hoochie
21-12-10, 05:38 PM
tape measure & photographs....for a start, then if the gap is less than 2.55m, call the local fire officer. and ask his advice, as the fire brigade need a minimum width to get the engine down the road.

Didn't know the exact measurments ....cheers Mowgli....:thumb:

mowgli
21-12-10, 05:46 PM
a lorry is 2.55m wide. not including the mirrors. so the fire brigade will probably need about 4m to get one down the street... they always train their own drivers:roll:

Hoochie
21-12-10, 06:01 PM
I'm sure nothing will ever change....People here in Cumbria can't quite grasp roundabout etiquette, or what double yellow lines are for!!

It's just all rather annoying..:)
(http://wzus1.reference.com/r?t=p&d=d&s=di&c=a&l=dir&o=0&ld=5726&sv=0a5c4265&ip=5ac5ea2f&id=82F6E29E3BF5125B1A90108766243ECC&q=etiquette&p=1&qs=121&ac=24&g=24f9+YOHfGi2Tb&en=drs&io=5&ep=&eo=&b=rr06&bc=&br=&tp=d&ec=47&pt=Table%20etiquette&ex=&url=&u=http://uk.ask.com/web?q=Table+Etiquette&qsrc=2892&l=&o=100075)

bmw156
21-12-10, 06:04 PM
i would just play them at their own game. park outside their house.
let mr stig park long ways or something.

or failing that, go and ask them to put three cars on their driveway!

mowgli
21-12-10, 06:07 PM
ring the police or parking warden dept, and report them for obstruction...that would work, if there aren't double yellows, then write to the council, and even raise a petition..... i'm sure we could find a few hundred signatures quick

bazil
21-12-10, 06:12 PM
Have a wee read :)

http://www.policespecials.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52401&st=25

Welsh Dan
21-12-10, 06:13 PM
Do you know any wagon drivers? Get a 40 foot wagon parked outside their house :D

Spudly
21-12-10, 06:16 PM
Do you know any wagon drivers? Get a 40 foot wagon parked outside their house :D

Hobbit, fancy popping round theirs for a brew lol

Hoochie
21-12-10, 10:08 PM

Me likes your way of thinking . :d

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 10:46 PM
its illegal to park on paths for a start...I usually walk past and take the wing mirror off with my forearm. As previously said if the cars are taxed, insured etc then they have as much right as anybody to park anywhere on the street except for directly in front of your driveway, just some neighbours do show consideration when they choose somewhere to park. Yours obviously don't :roll:

MattBrown
21-12-10, 11:01 PM
its illegal to park on paths for a start...I usually walk past and take the wing mirror off with my forearm. As previously said if the cars are taxed, insured etc then they have as much right as anybody to park anywhere on the street except for directly in front of your driveway, just some neighbours do show consideration when they choose somewhere to park. Yours obviously don't :roll:

Iz you propper ard wackin da mirroz?

It is NOT illegal to park on a pavement, providing a standard width wheel chair 21" can fit through.

At the end of the day, if you don't like neighbours, buy a house without any, and are they really doing that much harm?

Bubba
21-12-10, 11:04 PM
At the end of the day, if you don't like neighbours, buy a house without any, and are they really doing that much harm?

bit of a dumb statement really unless you know the area.

i thought it was illegal to block a public walkway

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 11:04 PM

It is NOT illegal to park on a pavement, providing a standard width wheel chair 21" can fit through.

Are you sure? I've always been led to believe that its illegal whatever. Surely you should be able to live amongst considerate neighbours rather than living in total isolation :wtf:

MattBrown
21-12-10, 11:07 PM
Are you sure? I've always been led to believe that its illegal whatever. Surely you should be able to live amongst considerate neighbours rather than living in total isolation :wtf:

Yup, I have a 12 foot wide pavement area outside, and usually used to leave the nova there, a copper stopped one day and said could I move it to one edge, to let a wheel chair passed if nessasary.

I said yeah no worries, and he said that was the law.

And welcome to modern Britain, full of selfish Cnuts who don't know there born, and think the world owes them somethin.

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 11:11 PM
these are the same sort of people who will play almighty **** when their child runs out into the road from between their two parked cars, which could have been on the driveway, and is knocked down by an innocent driver who is travelling within the speed limit.

MattBrown
21-12-10, 11:13 PM
these are the same sort of people who will play almighty **** when their child runs out into the road from between their two parked cars, which could have been on the driveway, and is knocked down by an innocent driver who is travelling within the speed limit.

Yup.

I'm fortunate enough to not live with bad neighbours, I live on a lane, so plenty of space etc.

Edd
21-12-10, 11:14 PM
Deffo illegal to park on a pavement unless you have a disabled badge or are loading/unloading for a very short space of time, I should know got three points for doing so a few years back lol

The problem is most housing estate are only designed for 1 to 2 cars per house, nowadays that's like 3 to 4 hence all the problems, the council had to remove double yellows round my way due to persistent parking problems

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 11:15 PM
Deffo illegal to park on a pavement unless you have a disabled badge or are loading/unloading for a very short space of time, I should know got three points for doing so a few years back lol

Thought so, cheers :thumb: and hard luck lol

MattBrown
21-12-10, 11:17 PM
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=730229

Some interesting points.

But I know where we are it's fine.

Hoochie
22-12-10, 10:27 AM

I guess you don't have this trouble underneath your rock then??:roll:

gazz
22-12-10, 10:49 AM
It is illegal to park on a pavement, Thats why your not aloud to drive over/park on it to get in your garden/Drive unless you have a dropped kerb.

Thats law/council rules round here..
:thumb:

Mieran
22-12-10, 11:02 AM
Talk to them?

They might be nice people.

Hoochie
22-12-10, 11:14 AM
Talk to them?

They might be nice people.

I don't doubt they are, but only having been in the street 3 months we don't want to cause bad feeling, so would rather know the the legal ins and outs before we do have to confront anyone. :)

bmw156
22-12-10, 11:20 AM
is it illegal to park half on the pavement/half off?
as i do this alot and have never had a problem!

Mieran
22-12-10, 11:20 AM
If I was unintentionally doing something that annoys others I would prefer them come tell me about it rather than trying to use the law.

Hoochie
22-12-10, 11:27 AM
If I was unintentionally doing something that annoys others I would prefer them come tell me about it rather than trying to use the law.

Like i said i would rather be armed with facts before i have a word with anyone, i'd look a right tit if i go making my mouth go and i am completely wrong... Never said anything about using the law!!!:roll:

Jack
22-12-10, 11:28 AM
Yeah, I'd say ask them politely if they didn't mind parking a bit more out the way as its difficult for you to get cars in and out

rather than trying to use the law.
....which I'm reading at the mo, back in a bit lol

Hoochie
22-12-10, 11:34 AM
Like i said up there^^^^^^^^^
Don't want to use the law, just want to know my rights before i approach anyone, after all we do have to live here, and don't want to have peeps being double awkward just because i have a problem with where they park their cars.

Jack
22-12-10, 11:49 AM
It is illegal to park on a pavement, Thats why your not aloud to drive over/park on it to get in your garden/Drive unless you have a dropped kerb.

Thats law/council rules round here..
:thumb:
There may be local regulations with councils that may see them getting a ticket for parking on a pavement, but for most areas the regulations only cover business areas (such as town centres) or areas that already have some form of carriageway decoration or signage.

Added to that, there's no "national" law that prohibits parking on pavement (OUTSIDE of London) for cars. However, there IS laws regarding blocking the carriageway, and those would overrule local regulations. So, if parking in the road was to cause an obstruction to traffic, that would be more of an offence (if such a thing was possible lol) than parking with a couple wheels on the pavement. There have been cases in law previously which have attempted to ascertain which is the lesser of two evils.

My Nova lives on the road out front, with a couple wheels up on the pavement (as I live in a small cul-de-sac, and if a car parked opposite me that would block the road - and you can guess which car would get nobbled for it!), but then I always ensure there's enough room on the pavement for people to get by.

One other thing you may be able to get the guy on though is the direction he parks in, as there's specific laws for that. But then thats getting finicky lol

[edit] The law does state you shouldn't drive on the pavement either, so by parking on the pavement you are kinda fouling that law (as you have to drive onto it to park there!), BUT I think the law means drive as in all four wheels on the pavement DeathRace2000 style lol

[edit again] Scratch my last, I missed a bit on that reg. You can drive on land up to 15ft around a road with the intention of parking on said land, so that includes paths by proxy.

Hoochie
22-12-10, 01:59 PM
My Nova lives on the road out front, with a couple wheels up on the pavement (as I live in a small cul-de-sac, and if a car parked opposite me that would block the road - and you can guess which car would get nobbled for it!), but then I always ensure there's enough room on the pavement for people to get by.

That is how they park on our road, like i said earlier it is very narrow and when they park opposite each other it makes it quite hard to get through. Its one of those things where there is no middle ground, they either block the pavement or block the road, my gripe is every house has a driveway so in reality there is no need to have many cars on the road at all.

skyinsurance
22-12-10, 02:09 PM
key them all,my workmate had a similar problem.soon stopped it all
Nice! :tard:

L14MNP
22-12-10, 02:20 PM
Knock on their doors and tell them to stop taking the p!ss as you won't be put out for them. Tell them to park their own cars outside of their own houses. Visitors can be a pain, true, but if they only have one car on a three car driveway and see fit to park over or opposite yours then they are clearly not very nice people.

I'd block your own drive as said as well as telling them to fcuk off. If that doesn't work then block theirs.

I reckon the majority of them will get the hint and probably don't care how ignorant they are being until approached.

Good luck!

(I park with two wheels on the pavement, but only just. The road is one way, but wide enough that I can park my small car mostly on the road and not over 2/3rds or the entire path as some neighbours see fit to do. I leave loads of room for prams and the school kids etc. but guess who's car gets the mirrors knocked/dented and scratched!)

dj_wudgey
22-12-10, 09:20 PM
if they are parking over the drive there the only people you can do something about!! i have had probs with people parking over my drive when the football is on when either my mums or dads car isnt there!! weve had a car towed away before and once when i was getting pissed and some one came and parked over the drive we took all his valve core's out and waited for the football to end and them to get back to the car and just sat on my garden watching them **** about getting more valve core's and pumping the tyres up wile giving them nasty looks and a little abuse lol

L14MNP
22-12-10, 10:12 PM
You mean people go to watch Donny Rovers wudgey? lol

Nice one on the valves! lol

dj_wudgey
22-12-10, 10:16 PM
yea a few do lol i personaly dont though as i suport the best team in the world man city lol and yea was hilarious they knew we did it but as we were all staring and talking about them loud they didnt even look at us!! was ace lol good job i didnt need to go out though they were there for ages!!

Edd
22-12-10, 10:26 PM
FFS Wudgey, everybody knows that the Toon are the best team in the world, come on keep up :d

dj_wudgey
22-12-10, 10:29 PM
shush edd lol

Hobbit
23-12-10, 01:16 AM

I'll bring a farm truck, clear a path, call the police and say I've hit an illegally parked car. Then claim off their insurance for the scratches to my wagon :d

As mowgli says they must leave space for a fire engine. Also parking on paths is illegal.

dj_wudgey
23-12-10, 01:22 AM
I'll bring a farm truck, clear a path, call the police and say I've hit an illegally parked car. Then claim off their insurance for the scratches to my wagon :d

As mowgli says they must leave space for a fire engine. Also parking on paths is illegal.

lol drive into thier cars then claim off them i like the style!!

Jack
23-12-10, 01:33 AM
Also parking on paths is illegal.
Only in London :p

Hobbit
23-12-10, 01:51 AM

I probably picked up that nugget of info when working in London so makes sense.

I've never tried the claiming off their insurance thing so could just be an urban myth among wagon drivers lol

Bubba
23-12-10, 07:24 AM

is that the city of london, which is 1sq mile around big ben, or all of the surrounding areas too? lol

Jack
23-12-10, 10:57 AM
I think the law specifies Greater London, not just the city

L14MNP
23-12-10, 01:33 PM
FFS Wudgey, everybody knows that the Toon are the best team in the world, come on keep up :d

Geordie Nation and Barcelona of the north with a 20K ST waiting list so I have been lead to believe... LOL

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0okhxqpqA7rj9k2Jqub5fajkYjXxf-ru4GmWiGjSBziCDpjBvMw http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQTSC4ObtwZykwsgkefmZ94Ht1HHfoOp L19jBnw8yb3Im4QSUDc7g

lol

dj_wudgey
23-12-10, 02:01 PM
lol pardew will be th eruin off newcastle's season he's sh*te lol

L14MNP
23-12-10, 08:25 PM
They're **** to start with mate. Barton is their one decent player. Auntie Carroll is average and once teams start marking him and preventing him hiding behind defenders then making a late run on EVERY set piece then most of their attacking threat will be contained. Hoof it to the big man (that punches women)! That's sexy football! lol

I reckon they will stop up this season, a lot of promoted teams do. Next season is a different matter though. lol

dj_wudgey
23-12-10, 10:59 PM
yea i think there off down next season matey!! i used to love barton when he was at city a good player but he's a tool!! i hate carroll though he's pants lol

Hoochie
24-12-10, 09:47 AM
Oi you two...........

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb273/northern-angel/wpid-1277968960_hotel-photo.jpg

:d