PDA

View Full Version : Ebay Seller Advice

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:16 PM
I had a bmx listed on ebay, and the auction ended at 5.30pm yesterday at £53. This is the third time I have listed it,
previously I had a reserve price of £150 which seemed to put people off bidding. I tried selling it again without a reserve
to see how it would do and am very disappointed, especially as a mate has just offered me £150 for it

The winning bidder has already sent me 3 messages regarding collection and cash payment. I am yet to respond as I have
been at work all day and also please bear in mind its still less than 24 hours since the auction ended. The first one was
just a simple message asking for address and contact details sent last night. The second was sent at dinnertime today
saying he had still not received details etc. This is the third message which was sent at around 4.30pm

hi can you send me your details this is the third message that i have sent you about collecting and paying for the bike if you do not reply
i will have to report this item to ebay sorry but cant wait for ever for a reply thanks dave

I have been at work so was unable to respond to ebay messages on my phone, but my phone number was on the listing
anyway if he really wanted to get in touch!

I was reluctant to let the bike go anyway, but I don't like breaking the rules so fair enough he was the winning bidder,
I have agreed to sell it. I dont want to lose my 100% feedback etc... to be honest I'm really ****ed off that somebody
is this impatient that they need to send 3 messages in less than 24 hours because they dont want to wait "forever" for
a reply. Is there anyway I can tell him to do one but go by the rules, as he has been so rude like

bazil
20-12-10, 05:22 PM
Did you put a disclaimer in the add like novarally does?
His say he will cancel any bids he does not like lol.

Obviously the guy knows he has a bargin and is pushing so you don't back out,

bmw156
20-12-10, 05:23 PM
tbh, if it was me i would of been watching it near the end and pulled it. i know thats crap but its how it goes.

in this situation, i think your up shat creek.
you could blag it to him, saying someone came around last night and bought it and i didnt have time to end the auction, and just let him deal with it. (and sell it to your mate) thats what i would probably do.

make sure you are grown up about it, say your very sorry etc etc. dont lower to his tone so speak.

not sure if this applies, but in a shop like debenhams etc. the company can refuse to serve you the goods if you are being rude etc. not sure if the same works online lol.

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:24 PM
It is a bargain, and its taking up space in the shed so ideally I need rid asap but not that desperate for it to go.

So in a way I'm trying to break the rules, but by finding a way to play by them if you get me?! lol

Hoochie
20-12-10, 05:25 PM
Also it could be that it is going to be a christmas gift for someone and he just wants to get it collected as soon as possible....

EDITED to add...........Too be fair you really should have listed it with a higher start price if you were not going to be prepared for it to sell for peanuts....or just sold it to your mate.

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:26 PM
tbh, if it was me i would of been watching it near the end and pulled it. i know thats crap but its how it goes.

in this situation, i think your up shat creek.
you could blag it to him, saying someone came around last night and bought it and i didnt have time to end the auction, and just let him deal with it. (and sell it to your mate) thats what i would probably do.

make sure you are grown up about it, say your very sorry etc etc. dont lower to his tone so speak.

I was out when it ended, so could only browse on phone - cant do advanced stuff like listing, editing, removing and so on, so just had to let it end.

I will be grown up about it, always am as then its less likely to come back on you if they decide to take it further

bmw156
p.s whats your feedback score, how many have you got.

as it wont affect it to much if you get neg etc.

and i think your best off saying, sorry was at work, worked a night shift and slept today hense the no reply.

was sold yesterday to a guy who came and got it,

now piss off, like at work, we live by lies and propaganda!

mk1nova_rich
150 and 100%, he's only got 24 so I can neg rep his ass lol

bmw156
20-12-10, 05:28 PM
sellers cant neg rep...

nova gsi ian
20-12-10, 05:29 PM
Its not that he is being rude fella , it's just that ebay is full of people messing other people about, also we are now right on top of xmas and your bike may be a present he is purchasing for someone therefore obviously needs to collect asap!, as for trying to get out of selling it to him ,i think thats a bit naughty as he has clearly won the item through auction and is obviously keen to collect, so i would advise you contact him asap and arrange a contact and collection time and do the decent thing and complete the transaction as thats what ebay is an auction site , to many people forget this, its a shame for the decent people that advertise on ebay and get messed about but unfortunately its always going to happen. cheers bud

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:30 PM
oh yeh lol you just respond if you receive it. I will just have to try and blag it somehow

novarally
20-12-10, 05:30 PM
Did you put a disclaimer in the add like novarally does?
His say he will cancel any bids he does not like lol.

I only put those words on there so I can cancel any bids I don't like the look of during the auction.

Once the final bid has been placed, and someone has won it, there is no legitimate way of backing out of the sale.

Having said that, obviously you can back out if you wish, no-one can force you to sell something. But you inevitably risk getting negative feedback.

I've lost count of the number of times I've won stuff on EBAY, and the seller hasn't liked the final price and given me some trumped up excuse. I've heard it all;

Sorry mate, the car's been stolen/written off/engine blown up etc. etc

If you don't put on a reserve price, or don't pull the auction off early then you risk mugging stuff away for peanuts.

Everyone plays on EBAY to get a bargain, and understandably they get pissed off when the seller won't agree to sell.

It happens to all of us, I sold a Nova rally car rolling shell a few weeks back for £365.

It was worth at least twice that in my opinion, but if no-one bids, what can you do? So I played the white man and sold it for that price, and the winning bidder was well pleased of course.

Hoochie
20-12-10, 05:32 PM
oh yeh lol you just respond if you receive it. I will just have to try and blag it somehow

So very wrong!!!....and not making yourself look good as a seller. :roll:

bmw156
I only put those words on there so I can cancel any bids I don't like the look of during the auction.

It happens to all of us, I sold a Nova rally car rolling shell a few weeks back for £365.

It was worth at least twice that in my opinion, but if no-one bids, what can you do? So I played the white man and sold it for that price, and the winning bidder was well pleased of course.

best of all your still probably made on it lol.

novarally
150 and 100%, he's only got 24 so I can neg rep his ass lol

No you can't.........

Sellers haven't been able to leave negative feedback for buyers for a couple of years now.

bmw156
20-12-10, 05:33 PM
So very wrong!!!....and not making yourself look good as a seller. :roll:

that so doesnt stand lol.
novarally pulls auctions and is classed as an excellent seller!

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:33 PM
Its not that he is being rude fella , it's just that ebay is full of people messing other people about, also we are now right on top of xmas and your bike may be a present he is purchasing for someone therefore obviously needs to collect asap!, as for trying to get out of selling it to him ,i think thats a bit naughty as he has clearly won the item through auction and is obviously keen to collect, so i would advise you contact him asap and arrange a contact and collection time and do the decent thing and complete the transaction as thats what ebay is an auction site , to many people forget this, its a shame for the decent people that advertise on ebay and get messed about but unfortunately its always going to happen. cheers bud

Yes it is a bit naughty trying to get out of it, but I really don't appreciate him threatening to report me WITHIN 24 HOURS OF AUCTION END, and its hard to maintain a 100% feedback score if you do this sort of thing regularly. Plus I wouldn't be asking for advice if I was a pro at it

bazil
20-12-10, 05:35 PM
Colin I was looking at your vectra listing and I can see why you have to cover yourself in selling items, all the info in the listing and still someone asked about the MOT, many nuggetts and chancers on eBay

I hate selling on it tbh.

Mike
20-12-10, 05:41 PM
Yes it is a bit naughty trying to get out of it, but I really don't appreciate him threatening to report me WITHIN 24 HOURS OF AUCTION END, and its hard to maintain a 100% feedback score if you do this sort of thing regularly. Plus I wouldn't be asking for advice if I was a pro at it

In a situation like this, the message I would (and have many a time!) send back would be along the lines off:

Thanks for your messages & keen interest in my item. I can see youve won it at a bargain price & are very excited to collect it. However, unlike most in the UK at this present time I actually do have a day job & therefore Im unable to send or reply to messages constantly throughout the day unlike your good self. Although please can you contact me on 07xxx xxx xxx regarding collection of this item at a convinient time for me.

Regards, xxxxx

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 05:44 PM
In a situation like this, the message I would (and have many a time!) send back would be along the lines off:

Thanks for your messages & keen interest in my item. I can see youve won it at a bargain price & are very excited to collect it. However, unlike most in the UK at this present time I actually do have a day job & therefore Im unable to send or reply to messages constantly throughout the day unlike your good self. Although please can you contact me on 07xxx xxx xxx regarding collection of this item at a convinient time for me.

Regards, xxxxx

Cheers Mike, hopefully that might do the trick. Just looked through his feedback profile and it seems he is just buying and selling bmx and trials bikes so obviously knows a bargain when he sees one

Yorkie
20-12-10, 05:45 PM
Think its a case of hard luck unfortunatly :( unless you do blag your way out of it. But do you really want to be one of those sellers that p*** so many people off?

Mike
20-12-10, 05:48 PM
Cheers Mike, hopefully that might do the trick. Just looked through his feedback profile and it seems he is just buying and selling bmx and trials bikes so obviously knows a bargain when he sees one

Now, if he wants it so bad he'll give you a call, to which you can merely reply "do you know where I live?"

And when he says no, you need to say "well fcuk off then" & put the phone down lol lol lol lol

Pete
20-12-10, 06:00 PM
Why not just send the messege Mike just writ out and when he rings just say your busy with work etc.. and try and delay it as long as you can and just hope that he gives up trying, and if he leaves neg feedback try and contact ebay and just say that you've been busy and if you can have the neg rep changed to neutral or just removed?

May not work but deffo worth a try

Mike
20-12-10, 06:03 PM
I was actually joking when suggesting to tell him to fork off lol Id just go along with the sale, any moneys better then none IMO.

MK999
20-12-10, 06:07 PM
Id just go along with the sale, any moneys better then none IMO.

£30 sat here for your corsa when it's done lol

Mike
20-12-10, 06:08 PM
£30 sat here for your corsa when it's done lol

Bargain :) you can have all the Pro-bolt's an ill keep the rest :cool: :d

Danny mul
20-12-10, 06:18 PM
You started the bidding and had the option to add a reserve so to be fare if you aint getting what you think its worth its not the buyers fault....
I do agree with the emailing him back and letting him know you aint at his every whim just because he has won the auction

MK999
20-12-10, 07:19 PM
Also, I've actually had someone threaten to report me to ebay for not posting his item in the 2 hours or so it took me to get home, got home to about 6 messages 15 minutes apart lol Then predictably he claimed it hadn't arrived, proof of postage to paypal/ebay had it closed down and his neg rep on me deleted lol

mk1nova_rich
20-12-10, 08:48 PM
I now have an extra £150 and no bike, so I cant sell it to him lol

steviegsi
20-12-10, 09:17 PM
Lol. Tell him some Cnut nicked it and you didn't get to the computer to end the auction...... You terrible ebay seller! lol

Yorkie
20-12-10, 09:27 PM
I now have an extra £150 and no bike, so I cant sell it to him lol

Buyers worse nightmare ... tut tut tut naughty boy lol

Hoochie
21-12-10, 10:53 AM
That is disgusting, he'll no doubt report you!!!!......:roll:

Tanya.
21-12-10, 11:15 AM
If you wanted a higher price on it then you should of put a reserve on it regardless of wether people were finding it off putting. The only time I ever find a reserve off putting is if they don't state a minimum price they want for it.

draper
21-12-10, 03:36 PM
i hope you never have anything for sale i want !! ill put money on you being the first to moan when things dont go your way aswell

youve probably ruined someones christmas now

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 05:16 PM
I think some people have failed to read my posts...I have a 100% positive seller feedback on here and on ebay. I'm fully aware of the fact he won the auction fair and square but the fact he has quite frankly been a total arsehole. Threatening to report me within 24 hours because I didnt respond as I was at work?!!! I don't want to deal with customers like that, therefore I was asking if there was any way to tell him to do one!

draper
21-12-10, 05:25 PM
i bet you was watching the auction countdown tho (probably hoping the price would jump up)

your just looking for a way out and trying to justify it imo

Edd
21-12-10, 05:25 PM
No matter what it is or however much I need the cash I wouldn't sell something to someone if their being abusive or out of order in anyway

Reserve price was needed Rich really but if you didn't like his tone then it's down to you at the end of the day

mk1nova_rich
21-12-10, 05:58 PM
As I said draper, I was reluctant to sell it at that price, who wouldnt be? But I don't like breaking rules and have sold plenty of things for far less than I anticipated, thats how it works. As a seller I'm expected to behave in a certain way...is a buyer not expected to as well?! Put yourself in my shoes, I reckon most people would have done the same thing in this situation.

bmw156
21-12-10, 06:01 PM
i think should back off getting onto him.
whats done is done.

Jack
21-12-10, 06:18 PM
Unfortunately thats the problem with ebay, for all the $$$ people can make on there, there's the auctions that don't work out and you don't make the money you wanted. No reserve auctions always run that risk!

The other problem is you pretty much open yourself up to dealing with anyone; for all you know the seller could be a complete mouth breathing imbecile.

Live and learn I suppose!