PDA

View Full Version : YOU ALL MUST READ! MORAL OF A STORY engine help :( WHY ME

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:24 PM
:roll:

well my smokeing is still happening.

it has had a complete flush and is running on enitely castrol gtx 15w40

i waited for a clear bit of road today, and approached traffic lights, when pulling away pulled away very slowley, and was watching out the rear window

in first gear, as soon as the ast2 feels to kick in (the power band) at about 3000rpm, THEN it begins to smoke, gear change into second, again accelerating slowly, same place again when it hits 3000

the b+ head has done about 750 miles.

it has brand new valve stem seals ( i fitted em )

the valves all sat nicely in the head, and also didnt wobble in their valve guides.

ive just spent on all the jetting parts for my 40s, and there supposed to be going on tomrow

right now im having an off day on me car :(

got no more money for a while now. and considering i spent ?150 on a supposedly low milegae gearbox and 1600 engine from just novas - im not right impressed.

my insurance policy still hasnt matured :evil:

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:26 PM
forgot to mention

wen i had the head off.......

the cylinder bores were very shiney, a bit like polished metal.

there was no scores or "honeing" visible.........

i dont know what the term means, but i would have described it as looking "glazed" almost as if someone had painted varnish over them - metal was deep shine

brian
well it shouldn't be the head so maybe its down to rings?

_Ben_
Blue smoke? What were the bores like when you had the head off?

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:31 PM
four people on msn have told me rings

i have done literally about 80 miles on this engine since i bought it

do i have any come back with just novas long eaton? :evil: :roll: :cry:

so pi$$ed

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:32 PM
Blue smoke? What were the bores like when you had the head off?

msg above ^^^^

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:40 PM
:evil: if it is just worn bores shall i just live with it until i can get it machined to 1650 ?

or is it gonna do dammage? :cry:

Chris LR
04-06-03, 10:45 PM
Did you seat the valves?

Jules
04-06-03, 11:15 PM
That's what I was gonna ask, did you grind the valves in before you put it all back together? If you didn't becasue, perhaps, the head was low mileage, then did you put the correct valves in the correct place? I don't mean exhaust into the exhaust ports and inlet into inlet, I mean valves for cylinder 1 back into cylinder 1, valves for cylinder 2 back into cylinder 2 etc etc etc.....

Snowface
04-06-03, 11:45 PM
can Just nova's shed any light on the problem? If its only happening when the Cam kicks in maybe its something to do with that. Or just when the engine is revving higher and harder.

I would have said Rings also. And its blue smoke is it? So its burning oil then.

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 11:47 PM
i did the valve stem seals one by one, so no problem of them being the wrong ones.

im going to fone velos to ask for their advice, and then fone just novas to see where i stand

im gutted

im just about in the black at the moment.

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:05 AM
I know this is going to be laughted at but it's always good to eliminate the obvious....

You (or any of your mates) ain't out any diesel in your tank?
You haven't overfilled it with oil?

The only other possibility is that you've got a faulty oil pick-up in the sump, but i don't think it's very likely.

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:09 AM
I know this is going to be laughted at but it's always good to eliminate the obvious....

You (or any of your mates) ain't out any diesel in your tank?
You haven't overfilled it with oil?

The only other possibility is that you've got a faulty oil pick-up in the sump, but i don't think it's very likely.

diesil nope

oil half way between min and max

and my oil pressure guage on digidash does read three quaters most of the time............?

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:11 AM
based on my desc above you reckon its bores / rings? :evil:

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:12 AM
Right well my last wild thought is an oil leak onto the exhaust.

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:15 AM
Right well my last wild thought is an oil leak onto the exhaust.

hmmm

its got to be INTO the exhaust tho ennit :(

no chance of that

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:20 AM
No more thoughts from me.....

I mean if there was any kind of smell, feeling through the wheel etc We might have more ideas...

Good Luck getting it sorted

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:24 AM
im so pissed at just novas :@

if i dont get anywhere nicely on the fone im going to do a carefully written letter.

takes the piss

after the inital amount and then money spent on the engine block itself as well

really does arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

cam belt needed renewal

water pump seized

gearbox the differential was busted.

head turned out to be warped - and valve stem seals gone, so had to buy new one (ok it was my choice for a b+ one)

oil change
oil filter
oil wrench as i hadnt got one!

gearbox oil as i had to drain it to fix the diff.

all supposed to be a low mileage engine arrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:32 AM
IMO, You've been done.

If I were you, I'd tell them what you want, don't shout, make a fuss, demand anything. Just tell them what they're going to do to ensure the Nova/Vauxhall community are kept happy. Take a mate as witness to any promises made.

In My Experience silent customers are the hardest to deal with, which is why I always gave them full refunds.

On a better note you've gained an oil filter wrench, a very useful, and deadly tool :twisted:

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:36 AM
well anyone good at writing letters?

lol

may get my dad to do it :(

Dicko
05-06-03, 12:36 AM
i defo would not buy an engine from them. the perect 1 i got had completely screwed bearing shells.
its gotta be bottom end really

what stem seals u get? genuine vuax i hope as most others r complete crap

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:39 AM
i defo would not buy an engine from them. the perect 1 i got had completely screwed bearing shells.
its gotta be bottom end really

what stem seals u get? genuine vuax i hope as most others r complete crap

as this is my X attempt at engine rebuild, through no fault of my own may i add.

this time round i thought fcuk spendin $$$$$$ amount at vauxhall.

so i got an FAI ? head set.

it cant be that though because surely it would smoke all the time under ANY revs?

not just past 3000 ?

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:40 AM
I did make my own letter from my 'legal team' up when neiloakley *cough* TW@ *cough* was messin me around.

I never got round to sending it, somehow the stuff he posted, hadn't actually been posted at all so I got my money back.

Collins, Cooper and Williams I called it, :lol:

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 12:45 AM
dicko reckons its a serious chance its cos there not vaux stem seals..... any takers?

Chris LR
05-06-03, 12:48 AM
We had ruled out most other things........ It's worth a go

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 01:11 AM
well heres the plan

if nowt gets better or no other suggestions......

i buy one of these
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?w=1&p=040211463

if the air seems to escape somehow. i know its piston rings......

if the air dosent escape when pushed in

ill buy one of these:
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=040211452&r=2076&g=111

and change them cheap shit stem seals

its only when the engine revs go over 3000 rpm

i wudda thought if it was the piston rings it would have been all the time.....?

mikeoxford
05-06-03, 01:19 AM
sorry to be a post slag and do 2 posts in a row, but the mood im in i cannae be arsed to find the edity button, following on from my last post....

how do u use that spring compressor?

wont work will it as my cam shaft will be in the way. although it does say ohc engines

rgv_stu
05-06-03, 10:11 AM
it wont be the FAI gasket or seals
ive used them twice in the past with no problems
my car now is still on them and it dont smoke
forget that idea
the seals will burn a very small amount of oil while bedding in but not a lot

i would suspect bore wear myself especially if you cant see any honing marks. although i would be slightly worried as i have taken 130000 miles engines apart and the honing is still there, so it does sound a little fubbered. i would chase up the people who suplied the block and get another one

match
05-06-03, 11:46 AM
i dont understand what u all mean by the honing is still there??

i think you mean the barrells are carbon glazed, carbon gets burnt to cylinder walls and forms a glossy skin on them. to solve this problem you use a honing tool!! so how can the honing still be there?

the tool usually has 3 legs on it yhat u open up inside the cylinder, each has a very fine grinding stone on the leg that sits squarely against the cylinder wall. this is then attached to a drill and spun at a low speed. this takes all glaze off the cylinder walls.

it is not the fia stem seals cos i have never used vaux ones and have never had a problem with the fia ones (done about 6 head rebuilds with them!)

mike - have you checked the compression in each of the cylinders?

mine used to blow smoke when i opened it up. found i had a burnt out exhaust valve in number 1 cylinder

_Ben_
05-06-03, 12:23 PM
i dont understand what u all mean by the honing is still there??

Proper honing leaves a nice cross pattern on the bores to allow new piston rings to bed in, honing usually eats less than 0.5mm into a bore surface and therefore should still be present after a little bit of wear.

(excuse the fact I didn't read what you'd said about the conditions of your bores).

As has been suggested, everything here is total guess work until you get a compression test done (wet and dry) as soon as you have some results for that then its time to start diagnosing.

Cheers.

mikeoxford
06-06-03, 10:42 AM
:o

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

MORAL OF THE STORY

USE GM VALVE STEM SEALS.

im so excited.

the power is amazing.

have to sets of trumpets as well, one long (torque), one short - (bhp)

im running the short ones, which give LOADS of top end power.

going to try the long trumpets on this aftanoon as from memory they pull you back in the chair just before the cam kicks in.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

sorry

LOL

off now

mikeoxford
06-06-03, 10:47 AM
thankyou to all your help.

also dicko, which saved me from a rebore initially.

thankyou to cp - for t40 jetting

thankyou to aldon automotive, for being so w@nk they havent got any mechanics as theyve all left and i rebuit it myself - saving money :D

Dicko
06-06-03, 10:54 AM
told u ;)

rgv_stu
06-06-03, 01:36 PM
cant se why you had a problem with FAI stem seals
ive never had troubles with any ive fitted , think you must have damaged one on fitting.

just out of interest how much were the gm seals?

_Ben_
06-06-03, 04:31 PM
Unless the FAI stem seals weren't clicked into place properly of course?

I had to use a small socket to knock the ones on my old E16SE in..

Dannova12
06-06-03, 10:50 PM
Just Novas!!!! LOL!!!

More like

Just a bunch of monkeys!

Ive heard so many people having troubles with them!

Jules
07-06-03, 02:30 PM
Like _Ben_ said (Awesome car btw), unless the seals were 'clicked' in properly then they won't work like they should, when I do top end rebuilds I put the new stem seals on then put the old one's on top and smack 'em on good and tight - no problems for me (And I've not used GM seals).
:wink:

mikeoxford
07-06-03, 11:27 PM
well its running fantastic now.

unsure about the stem seals, they didnt look round when i took em off, the edges were all jagged in the middle, not much, but you could see if you compared to a vaux one and upto the light.

nova23
08-06-03, 10:52 AM
I have had the same problem b4, i only use vx seals now, there better quality.
http://groups.msn.com/NovaSR/nova.msnw?albumlist=2

mikeoxford
08-06-03, 05:51 PM
i learned the hard way