PDA

View Full Version : Urgent - Handbrake stuck on 02 Clio

db_1.2
19-12-10, 09:55 PM
My girlfriend went to leave mine tonight, and couldnt move her car. I managed to free off one side, but the other side seemed to remain stuck.

It is -7 now, and i wont be able to have a look untill tomorrow. But i have no place to do it, as its stuck in the snow and cr*p.

Would it be best to get underneath with a hot air gun? And try and free it off again? Also the ABS light is now on, ill be having a quick look into how to get it off, as i didnt fancy just unplugging the battery due to alarm and immobilisor issues.

Help me!

John
19-12-10, 09:59 PM
that'll be your brakes frozen then! get some heat into those rear drums whichever way you can.

LEWI007
19-12-10, 09:59 PM
Maybe someone (you) go underneath and pull the cable around left and right and get someone to sit inside pulling the handbrake up and down.

Its propably not drums on the rear with it being a newer car but if it is hit them with a hammer.

Bubba
19-12-10, 10:02 PM
shes stuck at yours?

that WIN in my books

Mike
19-12-10, 10:03 PM
If the cars got steelies on, smack the fuc out the rim with the Renault dead mans jack, usually does the trick.

General Baxter
19-12-10, 10:03 PM
drag it, it will come off lol

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:04 PM
Suprisingly, they are drums, and, suprisingly, my initial thought was, bang it with a hammer!

But yeh, its just finding time, typical really. Ill get underneath it tomorrow with the heat gun with the misses pulling on the handbrake. Hopefully it'll get it free.

I Googled it and it seems other people have had the same problem in similar temperatures.

Edd
shes stuck at yours?

that WIN in my books

lol

chap at work had this the other week, hairdryer/heat gun FTW

db_1.2
drag it, it will come off lol

I did, it got worse! The car nearly didnt move!

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:05 PM
lol

chap at work had this the other week, hairdryer/heat gun FTW

Shaweeeet, ill give it a go tomorrow

General Baxter
19-12-10, 10:05 PM
smoke the clutch then lol

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:06 PM
shes stuck at yours?

that FAIL in my books

Fixed!

My Forza time :(

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:06 PM
smoke the clutch then lol]

lol whats left of it, lets not forget its driven by a woman!

Danny mul
19-12-10, 10:07 PM
All of the above ive drove a car around the corner before while they where stuck and by the time I came back enough heat built up that after it sitting for a min after the quick spin they defrosted themselves

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:08 PM
All of the above ive drove a car around the corner before while they where stuck and by the time I came back enough heat built up that after it sitting for a min after the quick spin they defrosted themselves

I did think that, but cba to go out again now!

Nobby
19-12-10, 10:10 PM
try it in reverse 1st just incase the linings came off the shoe then forward, most probably froze though

mk1nova_rich
19-12-10, 10:13 PM
hang a white flag from the arial, French heap of crap

Rich
19-12-10, 10:31 PM
Just tell her to leave it in gear and not use the handbrake.. or you'll miss more forza time lol

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:32 PM
Just tell her to leave it in gear and not use the handbrake.. or you'll miss more forza time lol

Lol typical really, it had to happen at my house, and not hers, otherwise id have unlimited Forza time!

Bubba
19-12-10, 10:33 PM
Fixed!

:/ im guessing you been together a loooong time then lol

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:36 PM
:/ im guessing you been together a loooong time then lol

.............long enough!

But no im only joking, its not really some kind of bitter relationship Lol, its just nice to get your xbox on from time to time

Danny mul
19-12-10, 10:37 PM
hang a white flag from the arial, French heap of crap
This man speaks the gospellol

Jack
19-12-10, 10:46 PM
Want me to come over and keep your mrs busy whilst you play Forza? lol

Anyways, p!ss on the wheel. The heat will warm up the brakes, and any passers by won't bat an eyelid as its a clio, it deserves to be urinated on lol

...actually, Hayley's Colt has apparently frozen shut :wtf:

Mike
19-12-10, 10:48 PM
...actually, Hayley's Colt has apparently frozen shut :wtf:

MR2's & Corsa C's are a complete f cuker for that :mad:

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:48 PM
Want me to come over and keep your mrs busy whilst you play Forza? lol

Lol feel free, she'll talk you to death about hairdressing.

C612DNM
19-12-10, 10:52 PM
Careful bashing the rear anchors on this Surrender Monkey mobile. They are known to lose the linings off the rear shoes. Especially in this weather.
Make sure that the cable gaiters are not split allowing water into the cable sheaths - thus freezing the cable.

db_1.2
19-12-10, 10:54 PM
Careful bashing the rear anchors on this Surrender Monkey mobile. They are known to lose the linings off the rear shoes. Especially in this weather.
Make sure that the cable gaiters are not split allowing water into the cable sheaths - thus freezing the cable.

Cheers for the heads up :thumb:

Ive not yet given it the hammer treatment yet. Dont think driving it backwards and forwards would of done any damage?

L14MNP
19-12-10, 10:56 PM
Make her leave it in gear next time! lol

AlexW
19-12-10, 11:00 PM
MR2's

****ing things, Had to move a Mk1 the other day, It had more ice Inside than out, Had to pop the door and then leave it for about a hour before I could actually Open the bloody thing.

L14MNP
19-12-10, 11:02 PM
The mk2 my mate just sold wouldn't let him in, then it decided to thaw enough on it's own and popped the door ajar brining on all of the interior lights and flattening the battery.

It had icicles inside too, even though it has new t-bar seals. lol

stupot89
19-12-10, 11:07 PM
MR2's & Corsa C's are a complete f cuker for that :mad: and mk4 astras:mad:

Rich
19-12-10, 11:24 PM
my mk4 is ok, bit of warm water sorts it out. and the ice on the screen

dj_wudgey
19-12-10, 11:37 PM
.............long enough!

But no im only joking, its not really some kind of bitter relationship Lol, its just nice to get your xbox on from time to time

you'd be better off a with a ps3 lol and as for the clio just scrap it and get her something decent lol

Hayley
19-12-10, 11:52 PM
My colt did freeze shut.

Managed to (finally) get in the passenger door but still cant get the drivers door open and I dont really want to force it. felt like I was doing some damage by hanging off the handle as it is.

plus it appears both my windscreen wipers are shagged! more on order. delivery date - 12th of never at this rate

Welsh Dan
20-12-10, 01:20 AM
and mk4 astras:mad:

My friends dad has a new shape passat - when it freezes the windows wont open, and because they're frameless windows, when they dont drop he cant open the doors lol

Hobbit
20-12-10, 06:16 AM
I had the same problem in my artic tonight, I just poured hot water on the brake valve on the back of the diff, then pumped the foot brake with the engine off till all the air had drained out the tank. Switched the engine back on, built the air up and off I went.

Hope this helps lol

Asa-James
20-12-10, 07:28 AM

We've done a couple this week at work, the linings fall off and jam the wheel up.

db_1.2
20-12-10, 08:50 AM
Ive managed to get it off this morning, gave it a little tap with the hammer, not too hard cus i managed to do it with the wheel on. And also yanked the handbrake cable a goodun from underneath. Its done the trick. ABS light is off, no horrible noises................

XBOX TIME!

Oh wait, ive got work :(

Jack
20-12-10, 08:50 AM
more on order. delivery date - 12th of never at this rate
Halfords has its uses!

Oh wait, ive got work :(
I hear you're snowed in :d

db_1.2
20-12-10, 09:03 AM
I hear you're snowed in :d
Lol its a feasible excuse. Only problem is im self employed, and if i miss these 2 days, it'll cost me £200. £200 i need towards getting my van painted this week. (Project thread coming up!lol)

Otherwise ill be getting it on like donkey kong!

EDIT - Talking about work, i suppose i better go do some!

paddy quinn
20-12-10, 09:13 AM
heatgun and a hammer warm it while tapping it should free off rather sharpish

Spudly
20-12-10, 06:34 PM
Glad you sorted it, the only reason the ABS light will have been on will be because youve obviously driven it with the wheel jammed, the sensor will have seen the wheel not turning on one side and thrown on the light, nothing to worry about:thumb:

db_1.2
20-12-10, 06:52 PM
Glad you sorted it, the only reason the ABS light will have been on will be because youve obviously driven it with the wheel jammed, the sensor will have seen the wheel not turning on one side and thrown on the light, nothing to worry about:thumb:

Cheers. I was worried a bit, i always panic really and think the worst. But it took me about 10 minutes this morning to sort it, and eventually the ABS light went off :)

mowgli
20-12-10, 06:57 PM
in this cold weather, the drums shrink more than in normal running, so when the handbrake is on at the same number of clicks as normal, it will be on much tighter, then a lot harder to free off...

as said before, leave it in gear & not on the handbrake....

oddly enough, in the cold weather, if you have rear discs, they can actually loosen when the disc shrinks, and occasionally allow the car to roll away.... again, park in gear.

db_1.2
20-12-10, 07:00 PM
in this cold weather, the drums shrink more than in normal running, so when the handbrake is on at the same number of clicks as normal, it will be on much tighter, then a lot harder to free off...

as said before, leave it in gear & not on the handbrake....

oddly enough, in the cold weather, if you have rear discs, they can actually loosen when the disc shrinks, and occasionally allow the car to roll away.... again, park in gear.

It is a bit difficult, but i did tell her not to use the handbrake if possible.

I have had that happen on my mk4 Golf, it rolled into a main road and someone came and got me. Luckily nobody hit it, and it missed a brick wall by inch's

mowgli
20-12-10, 07:03 PM
women don't seem to understand the park in gear thing......my sister once rang me in a panic cos the handbrake button had stuck & she couldn't park the car, and wouldn't park it in gear in case it rolled away.... and wouldn't believe me that it was ok

db_1.2
20-12-10, 07:17 PM
Lol bloody women!

Rexy
20-12-10, 08:18 PM
our lauren did this last night in the tigra, I wateched it slide in to the kerb with the back wheels locked up.

took a hammer to the rear drum banged it into second gear rocked the car back and forth and off she went lol. told her not to use the handbrake but she always forgets its ingear and starts it and i get bollocked all the time lol.

mowgli
20-12-10, 08:44 PM
nail. hit. head.