PDA

View Full Version : Possible drive shaft problem...

TeddyThom
19-12-10, 02:01 PM
Ok here's the deal...

Was out yesterday as it was snowing, wasn't doing anything I shouldn't be doing like booting it about etc (for once)

Now all I get from the passenger side while I am driving is a loud knocking...

Sounds roughly from where the gearbox/passenger drive shaft/cv joint is... I get a vibration through the steering wheel as well...

Can anyone help me eliminate this problem?? I'm at a loss without getting right under the car and I don't have a dry space to jack it up and have a look lol

mowgli
19-12-10, 02:23 PM
probably a lump of ice stuck in somewhere.

TeddyThom
19-12-10, 02:26 PM
^^ Lets assume for a second there is no ice... What then?

AlexW
19-12-10, 02:29 PM
****ed CV.

TeddyThom
19-12-10, 02:42 PM
****ed CV.

Damnit. I was hoping you weren't going to say that. Expensive(ish) repair??

mk1nova_rich
19-12-10, 02:59 PM
depends what engine you have fitted. If its a small block you can just throw another standard shaft in for a tenner :)

TeddyThom
19-12-10, 03:09 PM
Yeah it's a 1200 carb. Merit edition. lol

Rich
19-12-10, 03:13 PM
without getting under to have a look your just pissing in the wind! If you cant get under it might be worth asking a garage to take a quick look on the ramp

TeddyThom
19-12-10, 03:22 PM
without getting under to have a look your just pissing in the wind! If you cant get under it might be worth asking a garage to take a quick look on the ramp

Won't that cost though?? I have no money yet :(:(

AlexW
19-12-10, 04:30 PM
I was just guessing, but that is a likely thing. Check it out first though before spending any money.

If you want a shaft, PM me.

Danny mul
19-12-10, 04:39 PM
Id say cv joint aswell but if its bad enough to travel up the steering column its been f@#ked for a while so you should have heard the early tell tail signs...like it creaking when you where turning right....if not then it could be something else so you really need to jack her up and have a good rout around

phunkynova
19-12-10, 07:07 PM
you should check that you don't have a load of snow in one of your wheel rims as it will put the balance out giving you a bad vibration and cost nothing to fix bar a bit of time.

TeddyThom
20-12-10, 12:14 PM
Id say cv joint aswell but if its bad enough to travel up the steering column its been f@#ked for a while so you should have heard the early tell tail signs...like it creaking when you where turning right....if not then it could be something else so you really need to jack her up and have a good rout around

There was no early tell tales signs otherwise it wouldn't have got this far :/

you should check that you don't have a load of snow in one of your wheel rims as it will put the balance out giving you a bad vibration and cost nothing to fix bar a bit of time.

I cleared a load of snow out and it is still doing it, ta for the idea though mate :thumb:

david dixon
20-12-10, 11:44 PM
dry/sticking inner cv.

David.

Mieran
20-12-10, 11:50 PM
my sr did this, turned out it was the bearing