PDA

View Full Version : and who said vauxhall never rust treated a nova

solly
18-12-10, 08:51 PM
just been looking through a corsa (a) site and found this

Before the lacquer was applied, the body was phosphated and a rust protection in 8 steps was done. A PVC underbody protection was applied after the paint job.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/sollynova/Zaragoza37.jpg

solly
18-12-10, 08:54 PM
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/sollynova/Verschiffung1.jpg

pie
18-12-10, 08:56 PM
what went wrong :lol:

LEWI007
18-12-10, 08:56 PM
I think the shells were zinc primered or something like that aswell.

solly
18-12-10, 08:57 PM
i want one of these

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/sollynova/Sprint.jpg

nova-taken
they only did that to the opel version lol

Andy_L
MK1's made in Spaim (?) had the best rust proofing

bmw156
im pretty sure the second pic they are RHD cars, possibly english.

mowgli
little known gm fact..... opel specced their cars with the rust proofing treatment back in the late 70's, early 80's.. vauxhall didn't until rustproofing became an issue with ford & vw etc..

Keif
18-12-10, 09:05 PM
just been looking through a corsa (a) site and found this

Before the lacquer was applied, the body was phosphated and a rust protection in 8 steps was done. A PVC underbody protection was applied after the paint job.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k504/sollynova/Zaragoza37.jpg

Nah, they're spraying on salt water to help start the rust process which was a 100% certainty.

MK999
18-12-10, 09:08 PM
MK1's made in Spaim (?) had the best rust proofing

They were all made in Spain, but the early mk1 was made of english steel rather than spanish, which seemed to rust a lot slower.

Cle
18-12-10, 09:11 PM
Nah, they're spraying on salt water to help start the rust process which was a 100% certainty.

lol lol

blue_peg_16v
18-12-10, 09:24 PM
if they were rust proofed it was cack when i was 19 i had a 5 year old sri and the front crosmember had to be replaced because it had rusted through

Benn
18-12-10, 09:27 PM
Prob is the sealant that was sprayed on the under side isn't very good. Nor was it sprayed all over the under side. There are huge gaps in it.

Nothing was really put in the chassis either...

As was the rest of the spraying. There where also alot of water traps built in. So they hold water and rust out..

Is they where like new cars and where dipped, they would have lasted alot longer.

Nova_Tek
18-12-10, 09:30 PM
At the end of the day nothing will ever stop rust. even the newest cars with the better quality treatment.

Dave.
18-12-10, 09:30 PM
if they were rust proofed it was cack when i was 19 i had a 5 year old sri and the front crosmember had to be replaced because it had rusted through

Renault Clio's, do this bad aswell, the worst are Peugeot 206's though, they rust worse than Novas, especially behind the bumpers, sills and wheel arches, the early ones (Y reg etc) are allready appearing in scrapyards because of rust issues

Andy
18-12-10, 09:31 PM
Ford Ka's are also truly shocking

Novasport
18-12-10, 09:32 PM
I think all the RHD cars were built around mid-day when the Spanish factory workers were on siesta. Eh, we screw the English pigs in a few years, pah!

blue_peg_16v
18-12-10, 09:35 PM
Renault Clio's, do this bad aswell, the worst are Peugeot 206's though, they rust worse than Novas, especially behind the bumpers, sills and wheel arches, the early ones (Y reg etc) are allready appearing in scrapyards because of rust issues

y reg is almost a 10 year old car now though so classed as a banger in my book just like my veccy gsi

blue_peg_16v
18-12-10, 09:36 PM
I think all the RHD cars were built around mid-day when the Spanish factory workers were on siesta. Eh, we screw the English pigs in a few years, pah!

rear beams were made just after siesta, with a few sangrias in there belly no 2 beams are the same lol

General Baxter
18-12-10, 09:38 PM
y reg is almost a 10 year old car now though so classed as a banger in my book just like my veccy gsi

very true, i look in the local paper every week at the 'bargin basement' 55plates and the lowest price car was about £4k lol

dj_wudgey
18-12-10, 09:57 PM
rear beams were made just after siesta, with a few sangrias in there belly no 2 beams are the same lol

lol thats well true!! thats why nova's had such bad tolerances lol!!

MK999
19-12-10, 11:31 AM
At the end of the day nothing will ever stop rust. even the newest cars with the better quality treatment.

Oh really...

Make them out of aluminium, that might work lol

Keif
19-12-10, 11:44 AM
Make them out of aluminium, that might work lol

Except that Aluminium also oxidises. :wtf:

MK999
19-12-10, 11:48 AM
Except that Aluminium also oxidises. :wtf:

But not in the same way as iron, it actually oxidises instantly as it's a lot more reactive than iron, and the oxidised layer protects and seals what is underneath.

Galvanising works in a similar way, steel gets coated with zinc which is much more reactive but doesn't corrode away in the same way as steel does. It'd be like having a few mm thick galvanised layer, instead of microns.

Keif
19-12-10, 11:56 AM
Still oxides. Which will lift any paint.

mowgli
19-12-10, 12:33 PM
whilst we're at it, can somebody please explain to me why people think painting something with primer paint will protect it.....i read it on here sometimes & loads of times in classic type car mags....unless i got the wrong end of the stick, i thought the whole concept of primer is to get a decent key for the topcoat & it is actually porous...... and it is actually a decent coat of top finish paint that does the majority of the rust protection, by keeping the water out.. stonechip paint simply does what it says on the tin, by protecting the top coat from stonechips...

Benn
19-12-10, 12:58 PM
^ I've said it a few times, that primer is porous and shouldn't be left out to get wet.

MK999
19-12-10, 01:19 PM
Still oxides. Which will lift any paint.

But you paint onto the oxide, and it then doesn't develop further and lift paint... same as galvanising, and is why galvanised shells last so much longer.

It is a completely different corrosion process to iron corrosion, similar to surface rusting, but it's instant, you then paint on top of it (think hammerite onto a surface rusted gate?) and it then doesn't develop into the full blown corrosion that steel does which lifts paint and makes it crumble away. They are actually 2 different processes, and I did know the names of them when I did the exam last year, but i've since forgotten lol

mowgli
19-12-10, 01:25 PM
iron & aluminium also electrolytically react, so they rust from within.. look at a discovery or old landy...

Keif
19-12-10, 01:55 PM
iron & aluminium also electrolytically react, so they rust from within.. look at a discovery or old landy...

I was holding back with that point. lol

MK999
19-12-10, 02:04 PM
I'm not sure of your point/relevance? Not many places in a car they're going to be soaked in an electrolyte and have a current passed over them? Also no aluminium will ever rust, what we know as "rust" is iron oxide.

mowgli
19-12-10, 02:18 PM
ok, i'll put it simply... put some aluminium next to some steel, and on a chemical level, there is a current produced, like a battery. then the iron oxidises & expands (as all iron does), and the aluminium goes brittle, they become a tangled mess of oxidisation. ask anyone who has owned an old discovery or rangey or landrover, which have steel & ally construction, they rot like hell from within.

if you build a car from aluminium, there are going to be lots of places where the aluminium simply isn't strong enough, like hinges, mounts, serious structural points etc. these will all oxidise from within.

MK999
19-12-10, 07:33 PM
Galvanic corrosion... only happens in direct contact though afaik, so there are ways around it.

The main obstacle to the comment I made (in jest :p) is aluminium is just more expensive to buy in and possibly more expensive to make panels from as it tends to work harden a lot easier than steel (which has fatigue cycles in the millions in it's elastic region and carries on this trend into the plastic region of deformation.)

However we can get back to the light hearted thread if you like lol