PDA

View Full Version : Corsa 20XE running too hot

Steve
16-12-10, 05:33 PM
Just had the head gasket done and it runs way too hot, fan doesnt kick in at all, just replaced thermostat, rad and fan switch, bridged out the fan and that works. But why does it run so hot? I drove down to the mot station the other day on a cold day with the heaters on max and the whole way there the gauge was just under 100 degrees!! :confused:

Adam
16-12-10, 06:07 PM
Air lock in the cooling system?
Are all the pipes getting hot

*Adz*
16-12-10, 06:18 PM
as above steve, check all the pipes mate, both rad ones, and heater matrix ones etc...

REDTOm
16-12-10, 06:20 PM
not seen you about in this one yet mate i keep hearing about it though i guess this is why lol

Sounds like an airlock to me. waterpump working alright?

Either that or your gauge/temp sender is up the ****ter...

Andy
16-12-10, 06:22 PM
Shagged waterpump,probably caused original HG failure i would suspect

Grey
16-12-10, 06:34 PM
if the fan cuts in at that temp maybe the thermo sensor could try that 1st then waterpump. could try a cold running thermostat from courtenay. have you tried letting it run on idle till the fan actually cuts in and out? if it does then thermostat is doing its job just a dodgy gauge or sensor......

AlexW
16-12-10, 06:45 PM
Fan should kick in at 96 or 98 depending on which it is (Aircon kicks in at 96iirc).

Check the water pump, depending how its plumbed up you should get constant circulation through the left top header tank pipe.

Steve
16-12-10, 10:18 PM
Didnt have a thermostat in when I got it, put one in an still runs the same, bottom rad hose wasnt getting hot before but now with the new rad it does, got some rad flush to try, see if that makes any difference. Already ran clean water through it several times and it nearly overheated at the mot because the idiot tester ignored the fact I said its running too hot, and the rocker gasket split and made a nice oily mess :/ Gauge goes up to 100 and the fan doesnt cut in, even with a new rad/fan switch.

Gonna run a switch for the fan for time being, waterpump is worth doing as no idea when it was done, but normally they sound rattly when they're worn, this one doesn't. Really don't think its an airlock as ive ran it up with the cap off a few times already so don't see how there can still be air in the system.

AlexW
16-12-10, 10:19 PM
Can you see water circulating at any time?

Andy
16-12-10, 10:19 PM
Dont take rattly as gospel,my 2.08v failed epically and i had no idea as the temp gauge read normal,wasnt pumping at all and it nipped up solid

Steve
16-12-10, 11:07 PM
Havent checked heater matrix pipes but the rad hoses both get hot, when i went to drain the rad flush earlier it pressurised back from the rad to the header tank but how can you see the water circulating? lol

AlexW
16-12-10, 11:09 PM
Through the left top pipe on the header tank, It should be coming through there at least.

Steve
16-12-10, 11:14 PM
I don't think so, tbh, ive been doing so many different jobs on it I didnt really take notice!

AlexW
16-12-10, 11:28 PM
Id check that.

Steve
20-12-10, 05:38 PM
Not coming back through to the header tank, got someone coming to look at it wenesday so looks like new waterpump and cambelt while he's there.

REDTOm
20-12-10, 05:41 PM
Should have brought it to me mate

AlexW
20-12-10, 06:10 PM
Yep id say water pump then bud, As said, prob the cause of the gasket going in the first place.

Steve
20-12-10, 11:52 PM
Would make sense, and explains why there wasn't a thermostat in there!

You wanna do it tom? lol

Wanted to have it on the road before christmas but not looking likely now, and insurance runs out new years day so it doesnt make sense to tax it for 5 months and a few days lol