PDA

View Full Version : making solid engine mounts?

pie
16-12-10, 01:16 PM
seen some people fill the standard rubber mounts with stuff etc?

do it realy work?

and what do you to use to fill the mount rubber?

MK999
16-12-10, 01:17 PM
usually silicon, makes them a tad harder but it's not the same as a competition mount for sure.

loggyboy
16-12-10, 01:39 PM
Silicon wont do much at all, its too flexible.
You want Polyurethane (Sikaflex 221 or tigerseal).

It makes a difference for sure, IMO its a happy medium between standard mounts and competition ones that are often considered too hard for road use.

Heres some I made earlier:

http://www.loggyboy.com/images/MeritMk2/EngMounts2.jpg

GRUNT 16V
16-12-10, 01:50 PM
your best bet is to get some rubber exhaust mounts cut them up and stuff them between the gaps and then tiger seal / sikaflex 221 them in and hey presto solid mounts ! in my experiance ( 12 years of them ) only do the rear gearbox mount ! if you do all three you will be noticing that your teeth will rattle loose !!! if its a track weapon then dont worry!

pie
16-12-10, 01:53 PM
sweet cheers grunt/loggyboy/mk :thumb:

joesturdy
18-12-10, 08:48 PM
I've seen it done with Tiger Seal, seems to work pretty well apparently!

david dixon
20-12-10, 11:48 PM
Tiger seal only lasts so long, i tried it myself but in the end it works loose with the engine trying to pull away at the mount.
imo its best just to fit 1 competition rubber mount, the rear!

David.

eddgsiturbo
21-12-10, 04:14 PM
i done my mounts on my let nova with sikaflex, its only 5 quid for a tube from bodyshops or body shop suppliers, thats all u need, and worked very well, im also goin to do my mk3 astra let mounts aswell. i just put maskin tape on 1 side of each of the mounts and filled the gaps and smoothed it off with my finger so looked tidy. make sure u have gloves on as its very messy and wont come of skin for months. lol. it probaly preserves the mounts aswell and stops them perrishin if done properly. but i not sure on this.

pie
21-12-10, 04:35 PM
again thanks :thumb:

loggyboy
21-12-10, 04:36 PM
I used sikaflex, it lasted over 5 years and is still in the mounts to this day that im aware of.
Its Marine grade so intended to last along time in the elements.

pie
21-12-10, 05:13 PM
is there any company that does solid mounts for a corsa b sri (c14se)?

thanks guys