PDA

View Full Version : power steering

shed-on-wheels
15-12-10, 10:12 PM
hi guys just wondering how hard it is to fit powersteering to mk1 nova and what involved thanks

General Baxter
15-12-10, 10:14 PM
depends if you want a wet or dry rack!

novacabrio
15-12-10, 10:24 PM
epas is the answer.

Mike
15-12-10, 10:28 PM
Or the second hand HHMS wet rack for sale elsewhere on the net for £200 lol

shed-on-wheels
15-12-10, 10:46 PM
well hope to run the standerd rack if poss

Will F
16-12-10, 08:34 AM
Then you need an EPAS (Corsa B) column

I have a complete wet rack kit - which is also a quick rack for sale and I am in newport.

novarally
16-12-10, 08:47 AM
well hope to run the standerd rack if poss

As Will says, EPAS is the solution here. Have a look at the Nova rally car rolling shell I have for sale on EBAY, that is fitted with the EPAS Corsa B electrically assisted steering column.

Fitting a 'wet' rack on a Nova is a lot of work and plumbing to get into a Nova engine bay, and really not worth the effort in my view. You can't really use an engine driven pump as there's no room, so you have to switch to an electric pump, and that is a bulky thing to find a home for.

satchellm
16-12-10, 02:45 PM
whats involed in fitting a corsa b column?

AlexW
16-12-10, 03:16 PM
Search.

shed-on-wheels
16-12-10, 06:03 PM
so will the corsa b colum bolt straight up to my nova and fit perfectly normal just with epas then thanks guys

ps where abouts in newport and do you have any other parts for sale as will come have a look what you got thanks :)

Will F
16-12-10, 09:48 PM
Loads of bits mate - what you after?
Column will need a bracket welding onto it.

craig green
16-12-10, 09:55 PM
I loved my (wet) PAS setup but the pump was noisy installed in the battery tray. Everyone told me not to bother & you have to really want it to bother installing it. Theres no gain to be had really unless you have massively wide tyres or a plate diff.

I did wonder about moving the pump to somewhere infront of the fr gearbox mount, but that would mean new pipes which werent that cheap, so left it. (sold now)

loggyboy
16-12-10, 10:08 PM
if you go EPAS you will want a quick rack (or a converted corsa EPAS rack) or the main benefit of PAS (ie less turns lock to lock) will be lost, unless you JUST want it to make the steering easier, which means you must be a proper pansy. lol

Graeme
16-12-10, 10:13 PM
Anybody know where there is a reasonably price column complete for sale?

shed-on-wheels
16-12-10, 10:44 PM
ok thanks guys will leave it then just as i needed a steering colum and thought hmm can i fit power steering lol thanks any how

will f im after quiet a bit fella a full loom for starters for a mk2 sri or gsi or if not a loom from a mk1 gte i have a list as long as me never mind my arm dude lol and also are you manaro man?

bmw156
16-12-10, 10:53 PM
Anybody know where there is a reasonably price column complete for sale?

EVERYONE wants them, people use them in all kind of classics.

they WILL be one of those items which will always fetch good money because they are so adaptable.

loggyboy
16-12-10, 10:55 PM
I found one in a scrapyard and paid £25, just need a bit of luck finding a 1999/2000 GLS model or similar.