PDA

View Full Version : TRACKING...

burgessovsalford
04-06-03, 11:17 AM
Ok my car went in for its tracking last weekend at ATS & when I went to collect, they told me they could'nt do the back wheels because ive lowered the car, so they cannot get the tracking devices under the arches! Any1 herd of this before or have ATS ripped me off??

My tyres are wearing down at the back on the inside, so is there anything I can do?

Ste_Nova
04-06-03, 11:24 AM
just jack the rear slighty... or fit some 13" rims.... they need access to all of the rim

bad_boy_nova
04-06-03, 01:29 PM
Hang on a minute, i took my car to a garage and asked to have the tracking done and they did the front wheels and not the back, they never said anything about the back wheels. So i didnt think that the tracking could be done on the back wheels because they dont turn from side to side.

SKoob
04-06-03, 01:35 PM
same here, they only ajusted the front tracking on my nova, can the back be done :?

burgessovsalford
04-06-03, 01:47 PM
Yes the back can defo be done, because they said the only reason they could'nt do mine is cos it was lowered...

Im gunna av to take mine back with smaller wheels on now & prob get charged again! defo need to do it tho as gettin bad inside tyre wear :x

Is it not possible to do yourself?

SKoob
04-06-03, 01:51 PM
surely a big place like ATs shud give free checking, my local tyre place does

Dicko
04-06-03, 03:05 PM
mine is free unless they need to ajust it, or free if u have some tyres off them. usualy get my tracking checked every 4k miles

never had the rear checked though :-/

how would u ajust if required? spacers on the stud?

Ste_Nova
04-06-03, 03:43 PM
haynes "if rear tracking is out then beam is distorted and will require replacing"

burgessovsalford
04-06-03, 03:45 PM
dont think I need mine checking tho cos I know just by looking at it that the rear needs adjusting! :o

as Dicko said, how do you adjust?

Jono r
04-06-03, 03:52 PM
i dont think they can adjust the rear. i think they use the rear wheels as a guideline for the front. When mine got done they only did the front and the equipment only just fitted under wit -30mm drop on 16's. If i were u, i'd go somewhere else.

brian
04-06-03, 04:30 PM
the back is fixed and doesn't move unless its been hit. the back lines through to the front and thats what you go off when tracking. as ste said if they say they couldn't get the device on the back all that they need to do is jack it up a little. if won't affect readings or anything :wink:

Stuart
04-06-03, 04:54 PM
the rear is used as a "guide" to set the fronts up, otherwise what are the fronts being setup in relation to?? yes the racking may be right, but not in relation to the rest of the car lol

i'd always get a 4 wheel alignment done (if i ever did it lol)

Craig SR
05-06-03, 10:44 PM
I would have thought the only reason the rear tracking could be out is when the car has taken a knock ie riding a kerb...

Craig SR
05-06-03, 10:52 PM
I have been told that one of my wheels isnt centered or something. Basically the car doesnt pull to the left or right but when driving in a straight line the steering wheel is aligned slightly to the left, but the car tracks dead straight (even when no hands...)

Am booked in next week anyway to have it looked at....