PDA

View Full Version : Enjoyed building more than driving?

AlexW
12-12-10, 10:37 PM
More directed at people who have finished projects i guess lol.

Anybody else enjoyed building there car than having it finsihed and being able to drive it?
Ive only had my car mostly finished for a couple of months and I'm already wanting to pull it apart and crack on with the next plans, or buy another car (Not a nova!)

Count Vaux Alot
12-12-10, 10:40 PM
Yep I like the build part more

comptoncj
12-12-10, 10:46 PM
Same i prefer building my projects rather than driving them for some reason :s

moffat
12-12-10, 10:46 PM
i enjoyed building the first nova and using it, cant wait to complete the new one

db_1.2
12-12-10, 10:49 PM
I enjoy building as much as i can, then just maintaining it. But unless its not my car, i generally dont like driving it due to the amount of work put in.

bazil
12-12-10, 10:50 PM
I always enjoy building Lego rather than playing with it.

( lol )

Connor
12-12-10, 11:04 PM
I enjoy either, love the building aspect and are continuously thinking of things i can change/improve on mine

Graeme
12-12-10, 11:07 PM
I prefer driving them more, not a big fan of mincing in a cold unit struggling to get jobs done, prefer driving them hard or having a play with another car on a private road obviously

Paul
12-12-10, 11:08 PM
Building is good fun when you have a big stack of shiney new parts. Nothing worse than lying in oil undoing a bolt you can see for dirt and grease, spannwr slipping off cause of oil on the head, only to fix it and it still bloody leak oil!

Doing a trackday which is what im building a rusty brick-like tin can for is one of the best things ive ever done!

Enjoy both but as i say pain in the **** if bits are old and you havd to clean them, waiting on parts saving up etc. The fun bit is the assembly!

bmw156
12-12-10, 11:08 PM
i see the building part a pain, probably because i dont have a garage etc.

but im thriving to drive the chevette like you would not believe

NOV4_SPORT
12-12-10, 11:09 PM

( lol )

Very true, i have seen some of the models very impressive.

iain

db_1.2
12-12-10, 11:11 PM

( lol )

I had a technic monster truck once, with double wishbones and 3 working diffs. Stupidly i pushed it down the stairs, and it broke :(

marc69
12-12-10, 11:15 PM
Most cars I've bought have only required wee bits except one mini which came off the road to be rebuilt 6 years ago, its still in bits!

Realising this, the only car I have rebuilt was the swing which was done over 3 years whilst being the everyday (apart from 3 months new front end etc) runner.

Whilst I got a lot of satisfaction from building it and it is my favourite, I have more enjoyment now driving it and sadly...looking at it!

bazil
12-12-10, 11:17 PM
lol

I put my Lego in the dishwasher, built in 1988 and still working today.

On topic.
I really hate buildind and welding and basicaly manual labour but I want my nova back and I'm sure I'll enjoy driving it more than building it.

L33 LEG
12-12-10, 11:22 PM
Always have said that building is more fun, i tell everybody this and i havnt changed my mind yet. I would love a garage full of cars that i have built or modified sitting there rather than a few nice cars to drive around in.

vauxluva
13-12-10, 08:00 AM
50/50 i hate the cold............

vauxluva
13-12-10, 08:12 AM
Plus its my dads garage and we get in each others way, he has got his jym in there....................i have my compressor/spray gun you can see were this is going.......

Jack
13-12-10, 08:41 AM
I quite like doing little bits and bobs on the Celica and the Nova, so long as its nothing that NEEDS doing to make the car work. As I'm quite lazy so keep procrastinating... hence why most of it is bodged, its a "do enough to get it working" attitude. Which also explains why I've not fixed the engine yet, 50% power is better than 0% power :d

The Nova I wanted to use, so the build wasn't anything special in terms of enjoyment and doing just for the sake of it. I think if I had something special that I wasn't going to use every day and had somewhere suitable to build it with all the right parts, that I could take my time over, I'd be happier. I like ordering nice fresh clean overnight parts from Japan on my tab at Harrys lol

LEWI007
13-12-10, 08:43 AM
I quite like doing little bits and bobs on the Celica and the Nova, so long as its nothing that NEEDS doing to make the car work. As I'm quite lazy so keep procrastinating... hence why most of it is bodged, its a "do enough to get it working" attitude. Which also explains why I've not fixed the engine yet, 50% power is better than 0% power :d

The Nova I wanted to use, so the build wasn't anything special in terms of enjoyment and doing just for the sake of it. I think if I had something special that I wasn't going to use every day and had somewhere suitable to build it with all the right parts, that I could take my time over, I'd be happier. I like ordering nice fresh clean overnight parts from Japan on my tab at Harrys lol

and then while your putting the car together your girlfriends brother tells you ' you break her heart ill break your neck' lol

Edd
13-12-10, 08:49 AM
Building is fun but can be frustrating at times and is not pleasant in cold weather

Havnt drove the Sport yet so can't compare lol

mk1nova_rich
13-12-10, 09:06 AM
I'm fairly lazy and unmotivated at the minute so not enjoying building (haven't really touched the Nova in weeks now). The main problem is having the cash to keep a steady flow of parts coming in... if I did I would enjoy it much more. I want to have mine built as soon as I can as I know I will really enjoy driving in it and competing

Prey
13-12-10, 09:09 AM
I think I'm the same as a couple ppl already said - I enjoy the non-essential building! Like working on the project stuff but not so much on the daily driver!

MK999
13-12-10, 10:54 AM
I like slow improvement on an already working car, but that limits you on a lot of things hence my new build from the shell up. I like the general ownership too, anything stripped out and 'track looking' will turn a lot of heads/get comments etc. Rolling out of the work car park bobbing along on the stiff suspension etc is something I miss most lol

Brodie_Sri
13-12-10, 11:33 AM
I prefer driving them more, not a big fan of mincing in a cold unit struggling to get jobs done, prefer driving them hard or having a play with another car on a private road obviously

:thumb: that sounds spot on to me i agree with you on this one mate i am the same.

Mike
13-12-10, 03:32 PM
The build is the best bit! Rolling them over is a good laught too. Then braking for parts & starting all over again.

In that particular order :)

Dave.
13-12-10, 03:40 PM
Ive not done any propper work to the Nova since around 2009 time, today i changed the dash speakers, but was good fun getting back to tinkering with the Nova again :D

Rich
13-12-10, 06:16 PM
I used to enjoy playing with cars, i like the spend a day on it, go test the improvment part of it.

But having a bare shell 40 minutes drive away, parts all over the house/garage/shed/other shed/ under the bed/in the wardrobe/on top of the wardrobe/still in the bodyshop i just dont know where to start lol

Andy
13-12-10, 06:26 PM
I like building and driving them,probably the build more though if im honest.
Although its frustrating not having enough room or money to progress,its all well and good having lots of enthusiasm but when your stumped because your skint it becomes very frustrating

mk1nova_rich
13-12-10, 06:27 PM
I like building and driving them,probably the build more though if im honest.
Although its frustrating not having enough room or money to progress,its all well and good having lots of enthusiasm but when your stumped because your skint it becomes very frustrating

exactly why mines not getting anywhere and hasn't been for ages :(

Andy
13-12-10, 06:29 PM
same here mate

Pistol Pete
13-12-10, 06:34 PM
Rick Draper does lol ;) :p

I have enjoyed building mine (even if it has taken a decade lol) but cant wait to start driving it and enjoy it even more!!

Dan
13-12-10, 06:34 PM
my last 2 builds have been epic in the actual building side of things, the old grey one simply for the challenge/timeline. The latest one purely for doing the bodywork myself with no real prior experience, which coonsidering the work required was yet again another mammoth challenge for a novice

The driving side of things has been just as much fun though as both track orientated, and with both builds due to idea's, the work continues to evolve to perfect the cars requirements so the actual prep side of things never gets finished completely

ben doodar
13-12-10, 07:26 PM
I always enjoy the build, keeps you busy and keeps you thinking all the time. I'm pritty fortunate really as I've got a big garage at my dads house which is a mile from home. It's fully lite big bench etc. All though I still suffer from no motivation. lol

I'm actually looking forward to getting on with the nova build next year.

andy_017
14-12-10, 08:04 PM
I couldnt decide when I was building my mk1, but i definitly now think that i enjoy building more than driving the car, as once its 'finished' so to speak i like to have it parked up in the garage looking nice and shiney and dont really want to drive it just want to do more work on it :cool:

Nobby
14-12-10, 09:10 PM
i love the building