PDA

View Full Version : td04 turbo my xe?? opinions please

DEAN-DOHERTY
12-12-10, 09:13 PM
hey,

i bought a td04 of a mate the other week and plan to put it into the nova after xmas...

it origonally came out of subaru from what i know of as they do run standard in alot of scobbies

my mate was going to put it into his glanza..he bought it from his mate who had it on a very quick toyota starlet gt advance. over 300bhp

i will need to get a bit of custom work done to manifolds and downpipes but that dont bother me because i like to be different and i havent heard of any td04 xe's

what do you all think, are they actually any good

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv229/CIVIC_EG3/MY%20NOVA/DSC00007.jpg

bazil
12-12-10, 09:20 PM
I hope you know all the other stuff you need doing.

Jonlem
12-12-10, 09:23 PM
You haven't heard of any TD04 xe's as it will det its tits off if your not careful.

My advice would be to buy a let

db_1.2
12-12-10, 09:24 PM
A lot of effort just to fit a td04. Has been done though, im sure i have a mag feature LET with a td04

db_1.2
12-12-10, 09:25 PM
You haven't heard of any TD04 xe's as it will det its tits off if your not careful.

Had to Lol at this

Jonlem
12-12-10, 09:27 PM
I'm doing a let Corsa at the minute on a Evo 9 turbo, however thats 8.5:1 and on a good ecu so unlikley to melt the first moment it sees boost

bazil
12-12-10, 09:30 PM
I'm aiming for the same CR on my E16 and T25, currently it's 11:1 !!

Paul
12-12-10, 10:32 PM
Td04 in standard guise of a scoob will not do 300bhp.

Stuart
12-12-10, 10:37 PM
indeed, according to my inside man who has the accurate flow tables for TD04's, a std spec one on a scooby is just about maxed out :s

infact a scooby TD04 was suggested as a ideal turbo for a 1.4 8v engine :s

Paul
12-12-10, 10:39 PM
indeed, according to my inside man who has the accurate flow tables for TD04's, a std spec one on a scooby is just about mazed out :s

What this man says, a td04 will do 240ish max in std form.

Td05 is what your after.

Count Vaux Alot
12-12-10, 10:43 PM
I wouldn't bother with either if I was starting from scratch.

Paul
12-12-10, 10:45 PM
To be fair may aswell go kkk route, you have the massive advantage of it actually fitting...

Jonlem
12-12-10, 10:45 PM
Whats your reasons for that James ?

The Evo 9 unit I just got with a manifold and custom downpipe came in at under 400 sheets, thats cheap upgrade by any standard

Count Vaux Alot
12-12-10, 11:03 PM
Don't get me wrong JB they are a good turbo for the ££ but they are a stupid awkward shape and there are lots of fakes around plus lots of the secondhand units have duff actuators.

Jonlem
12-12-10, 11:33 PM
I agree, fitment isn't ideal but it works. Certainly some cheap rubbish about though. I'm looking forward to see the results we get.

bazil
12-12-10, 11:36 PM
Totaly OT but would a T4 work on a let?

Jonlem
12-12-10, 11:43 PM
In a word, yes.

Weirdly I wouldn't mind seeing a good engine using one, thing is these days there are better suited turbos for a let really.

Seem to work well on a YB still

bazil
12-12-10, 11:47 PM
Thanks, I'm currently planning 2 builds,
E16 with T25
LET with T4

turboing a XE IMO is a waste of money and time, to many conversions needed,
oil feed and return, water feed and return, pistons, managent, injection, for what? Being different!

DEAN-DOHERTY
12-12-10, 11:48 PM
I hope you know all the other stuff you need doing.
Oh yea i know i need alot more stuff.

a let aint an option, i was told by east coast customs that i could safely run it 0.7bar on standard internals

A lot of effort just to fit a td04. Has been done though, im sure i have a mag feature LET with a td04
yea but it would be a little different. effort equals individuality

indeed, according to my inside man who has the accurate flow tables for TD04's, a std spec one on a scooby is just about maxed out :s
so your saying they are ****e and wont provide much power then??

What this man says, a td04 will do 240ish max in std form.
Td05 is what your after.
i have the td04 bought but it was cheap so i will buy a different turbo if the td04 turns out to be a no go area

I wouldn't bother with either if I was starting from scratch.
ok then what do you suggest i use?

To be fair may aswell go kkk route, you have the massive advantage of it actually fitting...
anything can be made to fit. its not he fitting im bothered by. its the fact as to weather it will actually give any power or is it a rubbish turbo to use

Whats your reasons for that James ?
The Evo 9 unit I just got with a manifold and custom downpipe came in at under 400 sheets, thats cheap upgrade by any standard
that is rather cheap, i will have to do custom work to manifolds and downpipes if i go the td04 direction. it is possible and probably not as much hassle as everyone is thinking..but is the turbo any good

Don't get me wrong JB they are a good turbo for the ££ but they are a stupid awkward shape and there are lots of fakes around plus lots of the secondhand units have duff actuators.
my wastegate has been welded so there is no actuator.

Jonlem
12-12-10, 11:49 PM
Out of interest is that just a ebay T4 or a Rs500 turbo ?

Jonlem
12-12-10, 11:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Jatec/Dave%20O%20Dell%20Corsa/P1050059.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Jatec/Dave%20O%20Dell%20Corsa/P1050063.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v306/Jatec/Dave%20O%20Dell%20Corsa/modmanny.jpg

bazil
12-12-10, 11:57 PM
Out of interest is that just a ebay T4 or a Rs500 turbo ?

I have not got that turbo yet, the E16 build is the priority ATM, hopefully Gen spec rs item, mainly buying the parts ATM have the bare bones.

DEAN-DOHERTY
13-12-10, 12:02 AM
ah jonlem, the td04 and td05 are different where they bolt on to the manifold. the td04 is 3 bolts in a triangle shape wereas they td05 is four bolts in a rectangle shape

Angus Closier
13-12-10, 01:28 AM
ah jonlem, the td04 and td05 are different where they bolt on to the manifold. the td04 is 3 bolts in a triangle shape wereas they td05 is four bolts in a rectangle shape

I think you missed the point mate, there are huge differances to the xe and the let. If you only want to run very low boost whats the point in having a turbo? Why not go down the route of ITBS etc? Or headwork etc?

Turboing an xe whatever the turbo is going to be harder than buying (and in some cases more expensive) a let.

Why not use the kkk rather than the td04? At least then you can just buy a let manifold and turbo?? Sell the td04 and use the money to pay for the other bits??

Seems like you are jumping into somthing that is rather pointless unless you do it properly, even then you might aswell just start with a let.

Id just tune your xe and leave the turbos to the let guys.:thumb:

saloonwoody
13-12-10, 06:49 AM
td04 and td05 bolt on exactly the same ;)
oh and i have a good td05 for sale if your interested lol

Jonlem
13-12-10, 07:52 AM
That depends what fitment it is Woody, Subarus and Evo's run different style flanges.

Gav did a turbo xe, everything was let bar the pistons and camshafts, it used a 2mm cometic and DID work, infact 270hp on a stock kkk but I was never confident it would last as the knock sensor was working overtime everytime it came on boost.

Personally if you can't work out the difference between a tap and a knock on this engine you have I'd advise you don't get involved in carrying out this sort of conversion as its going to end in tears one way or the other.

Paul
13-12-10, 11:07 AM
I dont mean to sound rude here but you want to build a turbo 2.0 engine based around the XE. Well about 20years ago this firm called Vauxhall had the same idea and produced a C20LET.

Why are you saying a LET is out of the question? By the time you have got the td04 on the car it will have cost you the best partof £450 + cost of the turbo.

Then youll need external wastegate + screamer etc another £150 minimum.

You aim to run 7psi on std XE bits. Well if that was goin to be reliable and last, vaux would have just done that, cause thats what a std LET boost prrssure is.

You also need bigger injectors, modify the block, different cams, sort out boost pipes IC etc, loom and management. Up the fuel pressure.

You may aswell buy a LET. Youll end up buying one in bits anyway. Everyone will think its a LET. So why not get one?

Youre either really stupid or havent thought it through. Youre money spend it as you please though.

mowgli
13-12-10, 11:16 AM
just to annoy people, the td04 is also fitted on mitsubishi L200 2.5td engines.....

DEAN-DOHERTY
13-12-10, 11:24 AM
I think you missed the point mate, there are huge differances to the xe and the let. If you only want to run very low boost whats the point in having a turbo? Why not go down the route of ITBS etc? Or headwork etc?

Turboing an xe whatever the turbo is going to be harder than buying (and in some cases more expensive) a let.

Why not use the kkk rather than the td04? At least then you can just buy a let manifold and turbo?? Sell the td04 and use the money to pay for the other bits??

Seems like you are jumping into somthing that is rather pointless unless you do it properly, even then you might aswell just start with a let.

Id just tune your xe and leave the turbos to the let guys.:thumb:
I plan on doing it properly, i only asking what you all think of a td04 and everyone has jumped on the negative side

td04 and td05 bolt on exactly the same ;)
oh and i have a good td05 for sale if your interested lol
as jonlem said they are different in different cars

Gav did a turbo xe, everything was let bar the pistons and camshafts, it used a 2mm cometic and DID work, infact 270hp on a stock kkk but I was never confident it would last as the knock sensor was working overtime everytime it came on boost.

Personally if you can't work out the difference between a tap and a knock on this engine you have I'd advise you don't get involved in carrying out this sort of conversion as its going to end in tears one way or the other.
wel guys have run turbod xe's before

and who said i didnt know the difference between a knock and a tap, bit below the belt...i thought this place is to help and get help and advice...so i was getting advice on "A Knocking In My Xe Engine "..then i get slated

now ive even more determination to make this work and wel hope to prove you haters wrong

DEAN-DOHERTY
13-12-10, 11:32 AM
I dont mean to sound rude here but you want to build a turbo 2.0 engine based around the XE. Well about 20years ago this firm called Vauxhall had the same idea and produced a C20LET.

Why are you saying a LET is out of the question? By the time you have got the td04 on the car it will have cost you the best partof £450 + cost of the turbo.

Then youll need external wastegate + screamer etc another £150 minimum.

You aim to run 7psi on std XE bits. Well if that was goin to be reliable and last, vaux would have just done that, cause thats what a std LET boost prrssure is.

You also need bigger injectors, modify the block, different cams, sort out boost pipes IC etc, loom and management. Up the fuel pressure.

You may aswell buy a LET. Youll end up buying one in bits anyway. Everyone will think its a LET. So why not get one?

Youre either really stupid or havent thought it through. Youre money spend it as you please though.

you dont want to sound rude...then you call me stupid...um plain rude if you ask me.

and how do i need different cams, boys run the let's with xe cams and toss the let cams.

and ive just droped in an xe thats why i aint gone let.

and i am currently thinking it through if you havent nioticed

mowgli
13-12-10, 11:57 AM
every time someone asks a big block turbo question, this sort of thing happens... there are some people who have spent a lot of time & money on them, they know a lot of things not to do, from their own experience.

this is not a slanging match, it is a discussion on how to turbo an xe...

a lot of the time, how someone writes a reply can cause the reader to see a different meaning, which is most likely not what the writer was trying to say.

if you want to have a go, then go for it.
the LET people have a valid point that there is a lot of the stuff already available off the shelf to do this, but a td04 will to be custom

Paul
13-12-10, 12:00 PM
Evidentally im not helping here and talking rubbish so ill leave you to it.

I cant be bothered to explain why youre wasting your time and why na cams are wrong for a turbo, as you are sure that itll be fine.

mowgli
13-12-10, 12:02 PM
paul.. there is lots of stuff on here about using an xe inlet cam on a LET... even though i thought a turbo didn't need bigger cams like a n/a did

Paul
13-12-10, 12:26 PM
Xe inlet cam is ok, on a vernier. I even used an xe exhaust cam but no on std management.

blue_peg_16v
13-12-10, 12:29 PM
Thanks, I'm currently planning 2 builds,
E16 with T25
LET with T4

turboing a XE IMO is a waste of money and time, to many conversions needed,
oil feed and return, water feed and return, pistons, managent, injection, for what? Being different!

if your going for a t4 on a let the pistons and management will need changing anyway, the water feed are just tees so that just leaves the return drilling an tapping which is hardly going to break the bank, whats the point in spending a grand on a let to throw most of it away if i was doing your build id start with an xe for sure £200-£300, so £700 towards the pistons and rods needed for the job

chambers1984
13-12-10, 01:38 PM
tdo4 are a waist of time mate. if u use a td05 turbo of a evo u can just about get the std oil feed of a let to fit and the return is easy to make up. same with water feed they are really easy to sort out. as for a xe if u plan to do it right and spend some money and make it last it will be cheaper to use the xe engine as a starting point as u have it already and fit good rods and pistons the heads are the same so no worry there then to start with u can get a let loom and ecu for £150 if u are lucky then its only a few little bits left sencors tophat boost pipes ect. if u just want a turbo sell xe for £300+ buy a let £800+. good luck

Stuart
13-12-10, 02:00 PM
^^^ bin the text typing.

Jonlem
13-12-10, 02:26 PM
I plan on doing it properly, i only asking what you all think of a td04 and everyone has jumped on the negative side

as jonlem said they are different in different cars

wel guys have run turbod xe's before

and who said i didnt know the difference between a knock and a tap, bit below the belt...i thought this place is to help and get help and advice...so i was getting advice on "A Knocking In My Xe Engine "..then i get slated

now ive even more determination to make this work and wel hope to prove you haters wrong

Its not below the belt mate, it worries me when people post things like that as its not a overly hard fault to diagnose.

Building a high comp turbo engine wether its on moderate boost or not is asking for trouble, just buy a let bottom end, or even better a let and be done with it, Gavs engine gave no better results than a Evo 5' d let engine would, infact not as good as the torque was very low.

A phase 3/evo 5 let engine is reliable and VERY fast, why bother trying to be different, your not proving anything to anyone except people who have no idea what their talking about.

bazil
13-12-10, 03:00 PM
Blu-peg, the LET I have is only a block with rods and pistons and a box of bits, it's a good basis to start from as I bought it as a project engine anyway.

It's not a build to be different or a look what I've done thing, it's just something I want to build for myself, but it'll be a good few years before it's in a car.

blue_peg_16v
14-12-10, 11:06 AM
fair play if you have a let for the right money to start with

bainyboy sr
14-12-10, 11:51 AM
ive always heard bad vibes about turboing an xe , i would buy and fit a standard LET if your considering such a low boost , alot eaiser tbh