PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack

moogster
03-06-03, 09:54 PM
Can u get a shortened steering rack for the Nova? I have a 1991 1.4 Flair with no power steering.

Cheers!!

:lol:

Chris LR
03-06-03, 10:10 PM
I've never heard of one being done......

Are you finding the Steering hard work?

fearless
03-06-03, 10:24 PM
Do u mean a Quick Rack - Lock to lock is usually 2.5 turns as opposed to the standard nova rack (approx 4 turns)
Makes it handle like a go cart !! - Usefull to get u out of those tricky oversteer situations

Available from TAS/Quaife/HHMS to name but a few - About 80 -100 quid

Dicko
03-06-03, 10:49 PM
thinki he ment shorter in length, closer to the dash?

not as far as i know...

MattyWoo
04-06-03, 08:41 AM
Do u mean a Quick Rack - Lock to lock is usually 2.5 turns as opposed to the standard nova rack (approx 4 turns)
Makes it handle like a go cart !! - Usefull to get u out of those tricky oversteer situations

Available from TAS/Quaife/HHMS to name but a few - About 80 -100 quid

Does anyone have any opinions on these?? any good??

Dicko
04-06-03, 09:18 AM
sure there good but not really recomended unless ur actually gonna take it on the track. makes turning when not moving pretty hard work, and steering in general is heavier

mikeoxford
04-06-03, 10:59 AM
sure there good but not really recomended unless ur actually gonna take it on the track. makes turning when not moving pretty hard work, and steering in general is heavier

and if you put wide 17s on your motor.... then even the normal steering becomes hard work!!!!

*muscles to prove* :lol:

Ste_Nova
04-06-03, 11:26 AM
rick has one and he copes.... i take it brett has one dave?? i'm fitting one... not a prob unless u use your car to go shopping :lol:

Dicko
04-06-03, 02:08 PM
lol

i remember somebody fitting 1 a while back and had windging saying steering was too heavy

Jim
04-06-03, 02:21 PM
CP has one on his car.

Ste_Nova
04-06-03, 02:24 PM
lol

i remember somebody fitting 1 a while back and had windging saying steering was too heavy

that was rick

fearless
04-06-03, 10:46 PM
rick has one and he copes.... i take it brett has one dave?? i'm fitting one... not a prob unless u use your car to go shopping :lol: :D

Yep Brett's had one fitted since it's early blue days .

I fitted a quick rack may years ago to my own nova (rusty rocket - god bless it -R.I.P) uncertain as to whether i could live with it using it as a daily drive around town - I'M GLAD TO SAY I NEVER REGRETED FITTING A QUICK RACK !! - I'd even go as far as saying every car i have from now on will have a quick rack fitted if possible !!!

They totally transform the confidence u feel when driving the car - it feels like your in control of a go cart - eliminating the vagueness felt from standard nova steering.

At first i was worried about sneezing whilst on the motorway incase i travelled across 3 lanes !!! - but it's not quite that direct - however it has got me out of a few tricky sideways manuvours - without the need to flap my arms about !! (full lock can be achieved without even taking your hands off the wheel)

Yes - the steering is slightly more heavier - but only really noticable at very low speeds - ie parking - and the car can easily be driven with only one hand on the wheel (not really advisable -legally!!!)

I can only say that from the many people who have driven my car with a quick rack - nearly all of them have followed in my footsteps and had a quick rack fitted.

For all of u people who think u would struggle with a quick rack - I'm looking into fitting a electric steering column to a nova to enable a manual quick rack to b fitted but with power assistance from an electric column - being able to vary the 'weighting' of the steering by a knob on the dash!!! - watch this space!!!