PDA

View Full Version : T3 Turbo buy new, or rebuild?

db_1.2
10-12-10, 04:40 PM
Im looking for guidence on buying a replacement turbo for my FRST, although it holds boost perfectly, and has no oil seal issues, im sure it is leaking water/coolant, as its the water cooled varient.

Ive been having a quick browse over ebay and see lots of different types of T3, which has put off a little buying new, as id like to get it right first time.

So whats best really? Do i buy a new one, although being the most obvious option, seems like it might cause more problems. Or have the one im using now refurbished, as the impeller is fine, and the shaft has no/little play.

I would like a 360 bearing turbo, as they seem more reliable, and spoil even better. But to be honest, im a bit lost when it comes forced induction engines anyway, hence the reason im asking here!

Also, they car is not built entirely for power. Im atually hoping to make it into a decent show car for next years Ford events.

Any advice welcome :thumb:

Paul
10-12-10, 05:07 PM
Why dont you just not run it water cooled?

db_1.2
10-12-10, 05:15 PM
Im not sure it would be ideal. The turbo itself its probably 10mm away from the radiator, so it needs to be as cool as possible. Plus, being a CVH/ZVH combo, it needs all the reliability it can get!

But, if it doesnt effect temperature too much, it might be fine. However i do remember taking it to RS combe last year and giving it some stick, the temp rises a fair bit.

L14MNP
10-12-10, 05:15 PM
He could do that I guess. The water cooling doesn't even come into a play unless you're running high boost for a sustained period I do believe. I wonder what boost db runs though, is it a ZVH?

I never plumbed in the feature on the Volvo and it cause no issues. I'm going to though.

Paul
10-12-10, 05:18 PM
The turbo actually heats up the water getting the engine hotter.

db_1.2
10-12-10, 05:21 PM
The turbo actually heats up the water getting the engine hotter.

You know, i always thought that. But never really argued the original design if you get me.

At the moment im only running 10.something PSI (not sure without looking at the dyno runs.) But its all ready for 14/15PSI, just need 31 actuator now.

L14MNP
10-12-10, 05:22 PM
I don't know much on the subject, but I thought the cooler housing was to prolong the life of the turbo as it keeps the oil cooler? Probably helps prevent heatsoak too when you switch it off without letting it cool?

L14MNP
10-12-10, 05:24 PM
Good point about the coolant raising the engine temperature btw!

db_1.2
10-12-10, 05:31 PM
Im not too worried about charge temperatures, as long as i dont have detonation issues. But at the moment it runs perfect, no misfires or boost problems. The only problem i do have is bore wash, due to overfueling. But this should be solved with higher boost hopefully.

db_1.2
10-12-10, 05:32 PM
I don't know much on the subject, but I thought the cooler housing was to prolong the life of the turbo as it keeps the oil cooler? Probably helps prevent heatsoak too when you switch it off without letting it cool?

Ahhhh my old Ford always gets the warm up and cool down treatment lol