PDA

View Full Version : Nova sport bad starting

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 08:59 PM
Hi all my nova is on twin 40s and a really bad starter on these cold mornings like if you don't get it rite first time you've got no chance lol is this normal?how can I sort it?:confused:

Nova_Tek
08-12-10, 09:04 PM
Could be carb icing. Do the 40's have a warm air feed?

Pistol Pete
08-12-10, 09:08 PM
WHS.

Carbs and cold mornings mean piss poor starting!

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 09:10 PM
No but would engine not have to be warm any way for warm air feed to work?

Nova_Tek
08-12-10, 09:12 PM
Never had problems with my carb on the 1.2. always started fine but if you're in a proper frozen area then it'll ice up. maybe a short blast of a bit of de-icer around the opening of the carb may help unfreeze he carb.

Nova_Tek
08-12-10, 09:13 PM
No but would engine not have to be warm any way for warm air feed to work?

Yes it would lol but then again when the engine gets warm it won't ice up when driving.

Get the de-icer out.

NOV4_SPORT
08-12-10, 09:15 PM
Carb freeze mate, my brothers old nova used to suffer it badly, the best thing to do is leave a big towel over the carbs at night and remember to remove it in the morning, this should kept most of the chill off the carbs and moisture mate.

iain

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 09:16 PM
It has bin lyk -15 but surely this can't affect it that bad what did people do in the 80s? Wen there was no injection just not drive ? Lol

NOV4_SPORT
08-12-10, 09:19 PM
lol, yeh how did people ever get by back in the day, ah who knows mate.

iain

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 09:21 PM
Carb freeze mate, my brothers old nova used to suffer it badly, the best thing to do is leave a big towel over the carbs at night and remember to remove it in the morning, this should kept most of the chill off the carbs and moisture mate.

iain
So basically its quite normal and il just have to deal with it? And cheers for suggestion I'll try the towel trick tomorrow cheers:)

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 09:25 PM
WHS.

Carbs and cold mornings mean piss poor starting!
Silly question but wots whs mean lol

Pistol Pete
08-12-10, 09:31 PM
What He Said.

Nova_Tek
08-12-10, 09:32 PM
^beat me to it lol

SR Kyle
08-12-10, 09:36 PM
Lol cheers for help guys

Royston
08-12-10, 10:06 PM
Started my Sport last week in @-7 C no problem, has your carbs been set up? if lean may be more prone to carb icing, modern fuels don't help

Nova_Tek
08-12-10, 10:08 PM
My Nova (when it was carb) had no problems starting even down to -10 (doesn't happen often in London but still). Never had a warm air feed on it. Maybe I was lucky.

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 12:22 AM
Started my Sport last week in @-7 C no problem, has your carbs been set up? if lean may be more prone to carb icing, modern fuels don't help
I have had them set up but I'm thinking of going somewere else to have it done again because of the bad starting and it seems to be holding back under load would you advise this:confused:

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 12:24 AM
Would it run a little better on ultimate fuel?

Royston
09-12-10, 06:29 AM
Would it run a little better on ultimate fuel?

I always run "Super Unleaded" in all the toys;) and the Sport was set up on it

Mind I should point out that I haven't run the cars on the road, so haven't experienced icing on the forties, the Sport and SR are tucked up in my shed.

When I used the SR as my every day car it had a weber 32/34 DMTL with a K & N, it use to freeze but I built a hot air feed to the filter and encased the filter in a biscuit tinlol

Stuart
09-12-10, 07:50 AM
a proper setup will see you fine imho.

three pumps of the throttle pedal and then crank. That should be ALL you ever need.

Carb icing (ie when left overnight) and all that is tosh, I mean injection throttles should freeze shut in that respect

Royston
09-12-10, 08:19 AM
Carb icing (ie when left overnight) and all that is tosh.

Should have said my experience of carb icing is after starting the car and after driving constantly for @ 40 minutes, the jets would begin to freeze, primary and then secondary after opening the throttle fully, park for 10 minutes let the heat from the engine warm the carb and off again.

Carbs do not freeze standing overnight;) if it is from cold something else is wrong, fuelling?

Stuart
09-12-10, 09:17 AM
agreed.

My 1.2 would freeze up when going along the M4 in the snow lol

Graeme
09-12-10, 10:00 AM
I had a 1.3 sr engine in my old saloon for 12 months and the carb (Pierburg) used to freeze, due to the K&N filter, I put the starship filter back on and it slightly better but if the throttle was in the same position for more than a minute, it would do it in weather like at present, you could guarantee it

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 10:29 AM
It dosent have a fuel pressure regulator on would this affect it?

Stuart
09-12-10, 10:36 AM
flooded carb ftl.... the std pump will chuck out 7psi

Even the floats wont stop determined fuel lol

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 12:23 PM
So u recon this wil cause my problem ?

SR Kyle

SR Kyle

paul james
09-12-10, 12:24 PM
Twin 40's only need 3psi if I remember rightly.

MattBrown
09-12-10, 01:19 PM
a proper setup will see you fine imho.

three pumps of the throttle pedal and then crank. That should be ALL you ever need.

Carb icing (ie when left overnight) and all that is tosh, I mean injection throttles should freeze shut in that respect

We agree again:confused: lol lol lol

However, ive never had carb freeze on a carb on a bike, or my 1.0 carb.

IMO it balls, as petrol is good down to -28ish.

I would try warming the carbs with a heat gun, if it fires 1st time, then its cold, but my guess would be incorrect setup, and/or too much choke:thumb:

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 02:08 PM
I'm goner try a pressure reg does anyone on here have aspare one for sale?

Royston
09-12-10, 04:28 PM
My SR is on Sport forties, it doesn't have a regulator, not convinced you need them, wasn't a regulator in the Sport Kit

Stuart
09-12-10, 07:08 PM
wasnt there some sort of crimped pipe though?

Royston
09-12-10, 07:16 PM
wasnt there some sort of crimped pipe though?

I think, waits to be corrected, that is on the return pipe.

My Sport and SR doesn't have a return pipe, but there is an aftermarket pressure regulator on the Sport.lol

Both run OK, but both take a little time to prime as the fuel runs back to tank, after a couple of days;)

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 07:46 PM
I also don't run a return so do I need a pressure reg . This twin 40crack is propper baking my head lol

Stuart
09-12-10, 07:53 PM
yes fit one. they are dirt cheap

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 08:59 PM
Where do I get one is there any particular type I need

Graeme
09-12-10, 09:28 PM
The chrome dial ones are normally on Ebay but I couldn't find one with a quick search, the Filter king ones are highly rated with the filter bowl on the bottom but they are about £80 delivered also ont' bay

SR Kyle
09-12-10, 11:11 PM
Just looked and found an adjustable one it's just like a knob with two pipes but no dail is this what I need?