PDA

View Full Version : XE oil light....

Spudly
08-12-10, 02:29 PM
Right just a quick one peeps, ive left my cav sitting outside in the cold since sunday night, normally it gets driven everyday but im off work at the mo so its not been touched, our average temps have been between -10 and -15 overnight here with about -3 being the highest during the day, ive just been out to move it and when i fired it up (the tappets were almost perfectly quiet from first startup too which is a bonus as me and Porter cleaned them out saturday night) but the oil light didnt go out, turned it off and dipped the stick (i know it wont be accurate with the engine having just been run) and it seemed to be a good level, fired it back up and out went the light, then flicked straight back on albeit a little flickery, when i gave it a rev it came on solidly till 2k rpm then went out, once the revs dropped below 2k it came back on and stayed on.

There was no noise from the engine, no rattles or knocks of any kind so i chanced it to go pick my dad up from dropping their car at my mums work (few minute drive) and it was the same, revs above 2k and the light was out, below 2k/tickover it was on, it started going out every now and then as the engine started to warm up, and after about five mins on tickover outside my mums waork waiting for my dad it went out completely and hasnt come back on.

Now my question is, do you think its just the fact that its not been run for three days and hasnt gotten above -3 outside thats caused this and i shouldnt have anything else to worry about, i have been back out to my car and restarted it just now to see if the light came back on and it went out before it had finished cranking, and stayed out:thumb:

MK999
08-12-10, 02:32 PM
cold, thick oil, doesn't quite supply the same pressure. Considering most oil lights are set to the kind of pressure you need at 5k RPM and they just have a relief valve, I wouldn't worry about it unless it comes on while driving at 5k RPM, by which time it's too late lol

Spudly
08-12-10, 02:43 PM
So im right in my theory that its just because she hasnt been run for a while and because its sooooo cold lol

Andy
08-12-10, 03:09 PM
yes

Spudly
08-12-10, 03:15 PM
Cool just wanted to double check, cheers boys:thumb:

+rep to those i can, oh only Andy then lol

MK999
08-12-10, 04:03 PM
+rep to those i can, oh only Andy then lol

pff, last time I help you out :( lol

Spudly
08-12-10, 04:14 PM
Ungrateful swine its not my fault ive given you rep recently :p

Rich
08-12-10, 10:43 PM
cold wont help but shouldnt be coming on after start up. what oils in it?

May be the pressure releif valve thats a bit sticky where its been sat for a awhile.

MK999
08-12-10, 10:58 PM
cold wont help but shouldnt be coming on after start up. what oils in it?

May be the pressure releif valve thats a bit sticky where its been sat for a awhile.

He said it turns off over 2k and when the engine is warm, so it's most likely the cold thickening the oil imo. As I said it's not gonna hurt it at idle anyway, oil lights are really only useful for one thing, rubbing salt in the wound as your engine goes bang lol

Spudly
09-12-10, 12:08 PM
Lol @ MK :p

Rich its running 5w 40 semi synth as its just had an oil change along with belts and suchlike, ive just been out and fired her up and taken a quick vid, quiet tappets and oil light went straight out yeyy lol

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Random%20stuff/th_09122010085.jpg (http://s8.photobucket.com/albums/a36/spudly01/Random%20stuff/?action=view&current=09122010085.mp4)

Jack
09-12-10, 12:25 PM
Oil pressure light on the celica flickers on when its cold like this and the engine starts. Goes out after a second though. As said, its just where the oil is cold and takes more effort to throw round the engine to begin with.

Anyways, XE's love having no oil in so stop being a jessie lol

Spudly
09-12-10, 12:27 PM
Cool just wanted to make sure as i dont want it going pop in the depths of winter lol

Jack
09-12-10, 02:25 PM
yeah, you don't want to break the only thing of value on the car eh lol

Spudly
09-12-10, 02:33 PM
Pretty much yeah lol

As that will be living on in another CAV if i cant save the current one, its never ever going into a nova though :p (wouldnt want to devalue my XE :d)

paddy quinn
09-12-10, 03:00 PM
ive just had to change the oil pressure sensor on a freelander the light wouldnt go off even when warm but since changed its never came on again

dougie_boi
09-12-10, 10:31 PM
should it not be running 10/40 semi mate

Spudly
09-12-10, 11:42 PM
Dunno mate i didnt put it in, my mate did when he did the oil change, hes a fully qualified mechanic and im not so ill listen to him, it sounds miles better now than it has whilst ive had it so cant be too bad for it!

Paul
09-12-10, 11:52 PM
5w40 is thinner than 10w40 at colder temperatures.

10w40 is correct oil for XE's.

Id say you have an underlying problem somewhere, oil light should go out straight away.

On the continent they have colder temps than what we have, im pretty sure all Engines dont have oil light on for 5 mins over there.

dougie_boi
10-12-10, 10:11 AM
the light could have took a wee while to go out due to the oil being thinner and will lower the oil pressure

Spudly
10-12-10, 12:03 PM
Well it was fine yesterday and this morning when i went out and struck it up, ive never seen temps of -15 overnight here before so im guessing that covered in snow for three days in - temps was all that caused it tbf, ill be changing my sump gasket and sump in the not too distant future so ill treat her to vaux's 10w 40, cheers for input peeps:d

dougie_boi
10-12-10, 08:26 PM
no probs and more thank likely just dampness mate :thumb:

vauxluva
10-12-10, 08:30 PM
My sr is the same its just had new oil + filter ok when warm

Pistol Pete
10-12-10, 08:33 PM
Least it seems to have sorted itself out Spud. The XE gets to stay another day!!!!

C612DNM
11-12-10, 08:32 PM
Some days I wonder......

Now, when your oil is hot and runnier than P, it's nothing uncommon in some engines to see the oil light flicker. Consequently when the oil is stone cold and like treacle, the oil pressure at idle is high.

Therefore your engine is doing the opposite to normal "reality".

For example, my little Chevy V8 shows 60psi when cranking stone cold, and 80psi at idle. When it's hot, and the 20/50 is thinner, the oil pressure at idle often falls to 40psi, but hits the 100psi relief valve when I lift it above idle (idle is about 1500-2000). My oil light comes on at 25psi.

My late pop's 2.0L Cavalier had a flickery oil light at idle when it'd done about 27000 miles. Then the oil pump failed, it went to the local dealer, they just fitted a new pump. At 29000 I had to rebuild the engine, it was FUBAR!! Allegedly it was something to do with the pickup-pipe (probably fell off!)

Just in case, get yerself a bottom end gasket kit and get the sump off for a look.

Better safe than sorry in my book!