PDA

View Full Version : break the nova or reapir

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 04:44 PM
I have a 16v nova that i have had for around 10 years. We've been through a lot together, wheels suspension money engines etc etc.

The rear end has been completely rotted from inside the chassis legs outwards as usual.

I have bought from germany a big list of genuine panels
boot floor
rear quarters
rear inner arches
sills
rear panel
front wings
front cross member

i started welding and did the floor and one quarter but i have this niggling thought that if the back was that bad the front is probably going to go that way soon as its all seam welded and the stress of the engine has probably not done it much good along with exposed welds inside the chassis.

I have a mini clubman in the garage which is all welded and complete with a subframe for an XE engine.

do i let the nova rest and donate the engine to the mini or battle on with the nova.

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 04:45 PM
need pics to see how bad it is matey

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 04:48 PM
this was when i first cut it all away and welded in a small section then thought sod it and replaced the whole floor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/a2lt16v/IMG_0389-1.jpg

Alex J
07-12-10, 04:50 PM
scrap it

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 04:51 PM
that looked bad , whats it like now with the new floor sounds like youve done a fair bit seems abit silly to give up now, ive got a mk2 astra gte that was really rotten i replaced the floor sills arches and inner arches and is now solid will be well worth it when its on the road

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 04:52 PM
thought that might be the case i just didnt wanna waste all those panels on it.
i presume i can salvage a bit from the suspension and exhasut interior etc

i think the mini deserves a go with the xe

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 04:53 PM
as ive said whats it like now ignore marris he loves to kill novas

Alex J
07-12-10, 04:55 PM
get a clean shell and swap over the good bits, your be forever chaseing the rot, ill only scrap it or smash it up if its a waste of time in the first place imo

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 04:56 PM
this is the only other piccy i have at moment

this is with a new quarter fitted and complete inner arch the sill is now chopped off too and the new one mole gripped in place then it snowed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/a2lt16v/IMG_0420.jpg

Iain
07-12-10, 04:57 PM
Scrap & reshell if if the whole shell is past it's best, shame you've fitted some new genuine panels to it already though, can you salvage the quarter or is it completely on?

Edit; Think the above pic answers my question!

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 04:59 PM
Scrap & reshell if if the whole shell is past it's best, shame you've fitted some new genuine panels to it already though, can you salvage the quarter or is it completely on?

Edit; Think the above pic answers my question!

i think i can salvage the quater as i havent welded the arch lip yet it just welded around the door shut and window lip ( i wanted a bit of movement for when i was going to welded the rear panel/cross member in)

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 05:00 PM
its easy to say scrap it when you havent done the work seems that you have done alot would be a waste to scrap as novas are starting to get rare get pics of the bad bits

stupot89
07-12-10, 05:02 PM
*awaits bazils responce*

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 05:05 PM
bad bits are on the floor
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/a2lt16v/IMG_0375.jpg

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 05:07 PM
thats just off cuts we all get them when welding lol get the bad bits

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 05:09 PM
well i cant see the rust anymore as i have cut it all off
the main thing i can see is that i have no rear chassis rails any more

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 05:11 PM
fabrication is involved there then , there is a guy on hear that had a rotten nova far worse than that and its no fixt you should look at his thread for some insperation, hes located in eastkilbride any one no his user name ,??

bazil
07-12-10, 05:11 PM
*awaits bazils responce*

Flol that's getting you rep
check the front chassis legs, if they are past repair then scrap it unless you have new legs,

I'm in much a similar boat, many many new panels big job,

I have the time the space and the skill to do it, if you have the time space and skill then why not continue?

AdamK
07-12-10, 05:13 PM
The way i see it is that youve started it so you might aswell finish it, it may be alot of work but think after all the works done you will have a fresh car and you would have done it all yourself, seems a waste scrapping it to me but thats just my opinion.

a2lt16v
07-12-10, 05:19 PM
i have the skillage to make do an adequet job but it wont be 100% perfect but then i wont be paying for it i suppose. I drew up some chassis legs on 3d cad which is what i do by day. might just be the cold & dark has put me off.
just seems naughty giving up on her when i have had her 10 years and learnt to drive in it

bainyboy sr
07-12-10, 05:21 PM
you sound like you have the knowledge and skills so get on with it once the cold is away

dougie_boi
07-12-10, 06:00 PM
get it finished mate my mk1 astra was worse than that and i got it back on the road

dj_wudgey
07-12-10, 06:07 PM
get it sorted my dad's had vw's well worse than that and sorted them!!

Pistol Pete
07-12-10, 06:27 PM
You have the panels, get it fixed. Doesnt look that rotten TBH!

Edd
07-12-10, 06:46 PM
scrap it
Not everyone is as stupid as you marris :roll:

If he's had the nova it obviously means something to him

IMO if the front ends not rotten fit the rest of the panels, if it is chassis legs are hard to find new so another shell would be the best option

Alex J
07-12-10, 06:53 PM
Not everyone is as stupid as you edd:roll: edited for fact.

Mieran
07-12-10, 06:57 PM
fix it

10 years is a lot, you will miss it

dj_wudgey
07-12-10, 07:06 PM
i agree mieran you will miss it get suck in and get it sorted!!