PDA

View Full Version : frozen coolant .

Joe Richardson
06-12-10, 06:56 PM
went out in my corsa this morning,and it wouldn't go over 60 mph,noticed the temp was kreeping up it then went into the red,so i pulled up into a carpark,turned it off,had a look in the engine bay and at first didnt know what was wrong with it,I then checked the coolant pipes and the top hose was boiling hot but the other 2 hoses were cold,and the brether pipe onto the header tank the coolant was froozen,let it cool down for 20 minutes,i drove it back down the road and the power was back and the temp guage was ok again,pulled over after abit and both sides were ok,what im woundering is could this have cracked the head from driving it with the coolant froozen .

The engine is a 1.2 8v single point injection ,the car is ok at the minute and im going to change the coolant tomorrow :)

Andy
06-12-10, 06:56 PM
Possibly more likely to have done a core plug in all fairness

Joe Richardson
06-12-10, 07:00 PM
Possibly more likely to have done a core plug in all fairness

Was thinking this and they appear to be ok,the car wasnt hard to turn over at all,there is no visable leaks from it .

Andy
06-12-10, 07:02 PM
It wouldnt be hard to turn over unless it seized from no coolant for a while.
Just defrost it,check for leaks,run it up,if its fine drain and add enough coolant this time lol

draper
06-12-10, 07:03 PM
as said it'll be fine now, just keep an eye on your fluid levels/temp but id guess any damage would already of shown itself

pikey1986
06-12-10, 07:04 PM
if theirs no visable leaks then and it drove fine after leaving to thaw out then maybe count yourself lucky and double check it in the morning

Joe Richardson
06-12-10, 07:04 PM
It wouldnt be hard to turn over unless it seized from no coolant for a while.
Just defrost it,check for leaks,run it up,if its fine drain and add enough coolant this time lol

oklol well tomorrow im going to change it,i have never had to top the coolant up since i have owned the car had it nearly a year now,so its got enough in it,but it could be years old, i dont know how old it is so the strength might be weak .

Southie
06-12-10, 07:07 PM
When did you last change the antifreeze? Also your thermostat maybe locked shut.

Joe Richardson
06-12-10, 07:08 PM
When did you last change the antifreeze? Also your thermostat maybe locked shut.

I havent changed it,so it could be years old:(

think that was what happened the thermostat might not have opened .

Im going to change it tomorrow

Southie
06-12-10, 07:13 PM
Let this be a lesson for your Nova then, please don't ignore your antifreeze ;)

Joe Richardson
06-12-10, 07:16 PM
Let this be a lesson for your Nova then, please don't ignore your antifreeze ;)

I changed that when i did the cambelt and waterpump last year :thumb: