PDA

View Full Version : computer network

adam2472
02-06-03, 10:35 PM
- - calling all network wizards - -

i know how to set up a small simple network.. ie for LAN games and all..

i got windows 2000 pro and i wana make a network which u have to log onto to retrieve files of a central computer / server.. so basicaly u can log onto any computer to access your area.. exactly like college kinda thing..

nebody know ne gud guides on the net or can help me?? do i need to get some kinda upgrade for win 2000 pro like a server edition or somin??

cheers.. ad

mikeoxford
02-06-03, 10:58 PM
you need win2k server to do this properley yes

email me for a copy

logit of course :o

twim
02-06-03, 11:03 PM
you have to use Server Edition for a network like that. plus set up domains and server alocated IP's etc.

Aragorn
03-06-03, 03:20 PM
it CAN be done with pro but its a bit fiddly and there would be no password sync between the "server" and the clients

basically u'd have a login on the server for each user which can be done perfectly fine with pro - just create a normal user account for each person

then u create a shared folder with everyones personal folder inside it

u set the priveladges on each personal folder for each user account on the server and no-one else and it should work fine

jkhilton
03-06-03, 04:07 PM
if you need tips for things like this, join www.tek-tips.com (I think that is the correct address!!) they are really helpful on that site.

I got bored the other night and built 3 machines, 1 Windows 2000 Server, 1 Windows 2000 Pro and 1 Red Hat Linux 9 and then networked them all. It was interesting, but I dont think smoking weed whilst doing it was a good idea!! I woke up in the morning and couldn't remember what administrator password I had set!! doh! luckily I had a set of disks that resets the admin password on any win2k box(server and pro) :)

kevw
03-06-03, 08:34 PM
BTW ur talking about "roaming profiles" by the sound of it.. u will need a windows server edition (NT, 2000, 2003)

its easy enough tho if u stick to all win 2k machines... its when u have 9x aswell it gets tricky...

Ste_Nova
03-06-03, 08:54 PM
lol @ tricky... try my network.... 60 sites.. (win9x,nt,2k,xp) 44 servers (nt,2k,unix) mixed networking (cisco, 3com, bay, cray) red patch cables that can't be touched without filling in tones of forms..... no cabeling access due to aspesdos, desk to desk all site voice over ip, radio repeaters over ip... arhhhhhhh :x :o

Fester
03-06-03, 08:56 PM
9x on 2k networks is erm interesting

mikeoxford
03-06-03, 09:54 PM
9x on 2k networks is erm interesting

agreed

stick to the NT shell / 2000 throughout if you do it

Fester
03-06-03, 11:05 PM
interesting = gaymosexual

kevw
05-06-03, 09:12 PM
voice over IP rocks, weve just installed a new Avaya fone system at work, its the trickest thing weve got !!!

Jim
06-06-03, 12:08 AM
I dont think smoking weed whilst doing it was a good idea!! I woke up in the morning and couldn't remember what administrator password I had set!!

LMFAO...How the hell did you get the network up and running so well at work then? LOL.

Come back John!!!!!!! "I feel the need, the need for weed" :D

Jim

adam2472
07-06-03, 02:19 AM
rite i just got a copy of win NT 4.. im planning on builindg a new computer as a server soon but at the mo i just wana mess around with win NT.. at the mo i got a 20 gig HD (NTFS) with onlt 1 partition..

does ne body know ne gud partion software so i can make a new partion outa the free space i got i got on the existing partition without having to rre-format what i got - i caney be arsed baking up and pissen about with FDISK . . ne ideas..??