06-12-10, 02:54 PM
how easy is it to do?
as my XE engine is frozen solid and rather dead to say the least
so i'm thinking of putting a LET in the nova instead

any advice? :)

philip
06-12-10, 05:35 PM
convert xe to let or fit an let?

if stayed on the 5spd box you could swap flywheel and clutch off your xe and fit on to let....the 6spd box has courser splines on clutch plate. then case of fitting intercooler etc. should just plug and play like an xe tbh.

breadstraw
06-12-10, 08:12 PM
i plan on keeping it 5 speed :)
and i'm unsure if its worth just buying a LET engine or just getting the XE turbo'd?? :\

Graeme
06-12-10, 08:16 PM
Buy a Complete let is by far the easiest thing you can do

Benn
06-12-10, 08:32 PM
Unbolt and diss connect old xe, lift out of top.
Lower let back in and re connect.

Drive on boost giggling like a school girl.

Its only diss-connecting pipes and wiring, unbolting the box and swapping over.

breadstraw
06-12-10, 08:56 PM
well at least i now know its pretty simple
cheers ben :)
hopefully my XE will still be alive when it thaws out and not be totally dead
as dropping a LET in is a final solution haha

D8MOF
08-12-10, 10:21 PM
just get a job lot of f20s ready as after 5 i was running out of "mates" who had them in the garage lol F28 it, i would if i was LETing my nova again....

eddgsiturbo
08-12-10, 10:29 PM
just get a job lot of f20s ready as after 5 i was running out of "mates" who had them in the garage lol F28 it, i would if i was LETing my nova again....

as above, this is true i went through 4 f20s on mine, it just kept ripping teeth of the 3rd gear, way to much torque for a f20. it gets borin after u have bought all the local boxs and have to do a 340 mile round trip just to get the nearist box u can find. lol they are seriously good fun though.

AlanH
09-12-10, 12:02 PM
Unbolt and diss connect old xe, lift out of top.
Lower let back in and re connect.

Its only diss-connecting pipes and wiring, unbolting the box and swapping over. i wish it was that easy!
strengthening the chassis further than required for a xe, mounting intercooler, turbo coolant pipes, cutting out front panel for turbo to afm pipe etc. etc.

siegsi8v
09-12-10, 05:25 PM
i wish it was that easy!
strengthening the chassis further than required for a xe, mounting intercooler, turbo coolant pipes, cutting out front panel for turbo to afm pipe etc. etc.

im thinking of putting an let in mine in the future,do you no the cost of an average build? would prob need mine fitting cuz i aynt mechanic!!!!!!!! ha wish i was thou wud be cheaper..engine/brakes/engine bay welding,wat u rekon 5k???:confused:

Hobbit
09-12-10, 06:10 PM
wat u rekon?

..that you should read the forum rules and drop the text typing ;)

Benn
09-12-10, 07:31 PM
i wish it was that easy!

If the cars been welded for an xe then that will take the turbo ness, unless you plan on 250+ and alot of hard boosting...

Ic is only cutting the front panel. Or finding a smaller ic that will fit.

Why coolant pipes? Its just a casing of running two pipes. and you dont have to cut the slam panel either.. I haven't, i cut and welded the turbo inlet.

Rich
09-12-10, 07:46 PM
Unbolt and diss connect old xe, lift car and drag engine out, put let in place. lower car back down and reconnect.

Its only diss-connecting pipes and wiring, unbolting the box and swapping over.

lol

If you dont think you could get the xe out the let wont go in, best off just looking through project threads etc Find some pics of engines going in/coming out. No friends that could help?

Paying a garage that dont know what they are doing will be expensive!

Benn
09-12-10, 09:36 PM
^ lol if you can lift the car.. Then you can lift the engine out...

Andy
09-12-10, 09:40 PM
150x easier to take engines out the bottom.Less chance of stuff getting shagged aswell

Benn
09-12-10, 09:48 PM
Sorry i disagree. I've fitted mine thru the top every time and never scratched a thing. But we wont start that again.

Andy
09-12-10, 09:50 PM
Sorry i disagree. I've fitted mine thru the top every time and never scratched a thing. But we wont start that again.
And if you have no hoist...........?

Graeme
09-12-10, 09:52 PM
Rent for for 40 quid for the weekend or befriend Riggy

Pistol Pete
09-12-10, 09:54 PM
And if you have no hoist...........?

WHS.
Fitted my XE from underneath. No bother at all. But each to their own...

Andy
09-12-10, 09:55 PM
Rent for for 40 quid for the weekend or befriend Riggy
Or just use a tray,slide under engine,chock it,then jack car up higher than it.Slide it out.Easy,ive took 3 engines out on my drive on my own using only a trolley jack.£40/brown-nosing saved lol

Graeme
09-12-10, 09:56 PM
I agree mate, I've always fitted one from the bottom with a trolley jack, I did use a hoist once but only bacause it was there to hand

Benn
09-12-10, 10:00 PM
See i've done all mine from above, Having a local hoist to use. One time i did it from the bottom, inlet kept hitting/getting stuck on the rack which was a night mare and it was much harder getting it to line up to the mounts.

When i do it from the top, it just drops straight in with no probs. Never marked or scratched my bay and you can imagine how ott i can be over my engine bay.

But it is an each to there own job. Every one fits it easy one way and we run with that way..

eddgsiturbo
10-12-10, 01:11 PM
im not a mechanic, I have only ever fitted engines with a trolley jack and 2 axle stands and a mate or 2 just to help. it is really a lot easier than u think, and its only 3 wires that u got to connect to get it running. i have converted a corsa from 1.4 to a c20xe, astra gsi to a let, and my nova from 1.6 to the let out of the astra. the weldin aint to bad either, i done my car over a weekend, then done the boost pipes, hoses, wirein in a couple of evenings. just do a lot of resarchin on here and look through peoples project threads, u will be suprised how much u can learn like that.

MattBrown
10-12-10, 01:17 PM
I prefer to do them from underneath.

Its 10x easier in my mind.

And, I dont see how it could possibly catch on the rack, unless you left the tie bars on?