PDA

View Full Version : Anyone on here a smoker?

TeddyThom
05-12-10, 08:13 PM
I hate trying to give up smoking.

Anyone else tried and succeeded/failed?

Tanya.
05-12-10, 08:14 PM
Used to smoke and gave up nearly a year ago :)

TeddyThom
05-12-10, 08:15 PM
Used to smoke and gave up nearly a year ago :)

How you manage it? I'm struggling... I don't want those patches and shizzle, I hear they make it even harder...

Cle
05-12-10, 08:16 PM
I try stoping every week lol

Tanya.
05-12-10, 08:18 PM
How you manage it? I'm struggling... I don't want those patches and shizzle, I hear they make it even harder...
I struggled like mad whenever I was at work as I worked with a bunch of smokers but in the end my determination to quit won and then I got pregnant so knew I 100% had to give up lol

It took me a couple of years of trying to give up to actually get there though. Unless you're doing it for the right reasons and you really do want to do it...it won't happen!

mowgli
05-12-10, 08:21 PM
quite simply, you need to use strong will power.....after a very short time, the effects of nicotine wear off.....

i have only smoked about 3 fags & a cigar in my life... i have no problem standing next to a smoker, i have seen a lot of people give up & try to give up. basically, the ones with strong wills manage it...

find something else to do to keep your mind off it.

John
05-12-10, 08:22 PM
I smoked for about 6 years, just stopped one day when i was skint.

bazil
05-12-10, 08:23 PM
Gave up a year ago, my reasons

1, grandfather died of lung cancer
2, grandmother died after 4 strokes
3 other grandfather suffered enphazema ( sp )
4, mother died heart disease
5, best mate father suffering lung cancer
6, father inlaw suffering lung cancer.

All were smokers

I don't want Kat to watch me die of any of the above,

give it up mate.

Derick-Sport
05-12-10, 08:23 PM
i smoked for 6 years and for 5 of thouse years it was a 25 a day habit it started to affect my teeth so one day i woke up and didnt smoke again the fact it was destroying my teeth scared me into stopping and i have no trouble being with smokers whilst they are smokeing

Hayley
05-12-10, 08:24 PM
one of my friends smoked through her pregnancy.. tut tut.

I smoked for on and off 10 years and quit cold turkey. it was hard and prob even to this day, I sometimes crave a fag if im out drinking but personally, it got to the point when I knew I really wanted to quit so just did it. plus it was getting really expensive!! haha

marc69
05-12-10, 08:25 PM
I used to smoke and continually tried in vain toi stop, but when i saw my aunt at the age of 52 die from cancer painfully in 1997, I have only ever made one new year resolution, that was 1998, stop smoking and I did. I put the packet in the bin and that was it, no patches etc, just decided to stop. I now can actually have the odd fag on a night out and have no compulsion for starting again but, you really really have to want to do it if you are going to manage (dont mean to be patronising) good luck

Tanya.
05-12-10, 08:25 PM
one of my friends smoked through her pregnancy.. tut tut.

I smoked for on and off 10 years and quit cold turkey. it was hard and prob even to this day, I sometimes crave a fag if im out drinking but personally, it got to the point when I knew I really wanted to quit so just did it. plus it was getting really expensive!! haha

A girl at work started smoking MORE after she found out she was pregnant! :tard:

Graeme
05-12-10, 08:26 PM
I smoked for ten years and gave up, I don't believe you ever truly give up, when you have a beer something is missing and a Sunday dinner need to be followed up with chocolate lol, tbh I wouldn't bother I piled on loads of terry and didn't notice the financial gain either

djbrowney
05-12-10, 08:27 PM
i smoke, havent ever tried to give up, i dont plan on doing so anytime soon :)

LEWI007
05-12-10, 08:27 PM
Smoke what lol

bazil
05-12-10, 08:28 PM
As someone said, your only an ex-smoker when you quite, it's very easy to Stop but hard to keep of them.

Andy
05-12-10, 08:28 PM
yep

NOV4_SPORT
05-12-10, 08:30 PM
Gave up a year ago, my reasons

1, grandfather died of lung cancer
2, grandmother died after 4 strokes
3 other grandfather suffered enphazema ( sp )
4, mother died heart disease
5, best mate father suffering lung cancer
6, father inlaw suffering lung cancer.

All were smokers

I don't want Kat to watch me die of any of the above,

give it up mate.

The best reasons right there to give up, iam in the process of trying to give it up myself, its not easy but it will be worth it in the long run.

I gave up for about a year but then went back to it, but this time i will do it !!!!.

Hope you enjoyed the snow allan mate.

iain

Hayley
05-12-10, 08:30 PM
A girl at work started smoking MORE after she found out she was pregnant! :tard:

MAD!!

although my nan smoked through all 4 of her pregnancies back in the 60's and her kids turned out fine. still wouldnt do it too. mean on the little baby. id much rather give it an alcohol tolerance lol

Edd
05-12-10, 08:33 PM
I've tried giving up about 5 times, I did last 4 months last year, got wasted and then started again, I will be giving it a proper go in the new year and I'm confident that I will succeed this time. Doesn't help if you partner smokes and says she's not giving up till she's pregnant and doesn't want kids for a few years yet tho lol

Mike
05-12-10, 08:33 PM
I found when I quit for a bit that I was eating fcuk loads more! Managed put on a stone in weight in 2 weeks an it was costing me more daily as I was constantly at a Tesco Express buying triangle sandwichs :S

Cle
05-12-10, 08:36 PM
I found when I quit for a bit that I was eating fcuk loads more! Managed put on a stone in weight in 2 weeks an it was costing me more daily as I was constantly at a Tesco Express buying triangle sandwichs :S

lollollollol i stop then have a c**t of a day an decide a fag is in order or if im drinking i smoke alot. not planing stoping any time soon.

Rickardo
05-12-10, 08:42 PM
I quit a few yrs ago, lasted nearly 10 months.

I quit 3 weeks ago, i'm using the patches.

It has been a tough 3 weeks, but i'll keep at it.

TeddyThom
05-12-10, 08:46 PM
Do the patches actually help or make things worse??

I don't know. I've had about 5 today... Nto too sad seeing as I used to smoke about 15-20 a day... So there is a considerable improvement so far. It's just that little bit extra to get me over the hill...

Tanya.
05-12-10, 08:47 PM
Do the patches actually help or make things worse??

I don't know. I've had about 5 today... Nto too sad seeing as I used to smoke about 15-20 a day... So there is a considerable improvement so far. It's just that little bit extra to get me over the hill...

I used patches once and they made me feel really sick. If you have the determination and you WANT to genuinely do it then you won't need the patches.

Bubba
05-12-10, 08:49 PM
I smoked for about 6 years, just stopped one day when i was skint.

same as me, ran outa baccy, rizlas filters and lighters so just quit...was hard for a few days then was fine :/

do miss it now n then though

Andy
05-12-10, 08:50 PM
Patches are more dear than fags! fukk that!

Dan
05-12-10, 08:51 PM
ive got over 20 years of the filthy habit under my belt with many attempts to give up. I will do it, i have just succeeded in the mental strength part to regain my youth abit and loose a shed load of weight/tone up, far beyond what i thought was possible. Once i have got back to where i want i will use this same strength to realise the non smoking dream.

Lynsey
05-12-10, 08:51 PM
I quit two years ago. I was driving home which was a 170 mile journey, and ran out of tabs around the Worcestershire area. I didn't want to stop (in fear of Cher Lloyd ghetto-ing me up lol) to buy more as I'd just managed to get past all the numpties and didn't want to have to do it all again. I got back to my mum's and ended up not buying any all day, so decided that if I could go a whole day, I should be able to quit.

I still enjoy the smell of a freshly lit cancer cane but detest the foul, stale aftermath.

If you're planning on quitting, I would recommend going cold turkey because all the people I know who've tried cutting down/patches/chewing gum etc have failed. Just take your mind off it and get past the first couple of ays, then weeks, and you'll be fine :)

I'd also say that if you crack and end up having one, don't stop trying to quit. Good luck with it!

As for smoking whilst pregnant, my friend has been smoking 20 a day since she was about 12. When she found out she was pregnant, she didn't even bother to cut down. Her son has been born with the typical problems of low birth weight and mucus on the chest, along with some feeing problems and some disfigurement of his tiny face :( I don't know how much of it was due to her smoking but how can she ever forgive herself for that? She has now quit, although it's a bit late to change his development it'll at least stop him from having to grow up passive smoking. Never did me any harm mind lol lol lol lol lol

Edd
05-12-10, 08:52 PM
Yep patches are a rip off, will power is the only way IMO

Andy
05-12-10, 08:54 PM
i had a go on one of those pen things aswell before.Utter trash,complete waste of oxygen

Saloony
MAD!!

although my nan smoked through all 4 of her pregnancies back in the 60's and her kids turned out fine. still wouldnt do it too. mean on the little baby. id much rather give it an alcohol tolerance lol

Your just biast. Jack....honest opinion please lol

Ive never smoked. Many friends smoked, basiclly the key to it is, you need to be able to give up for yourself, not because of x-y-z croaking it of related problems, they all went, pah sick of smoking and kicked it there and then with no help or hinderance.

Rickardo
The patches do work, i have never felt sick off them.

Tbh, you still need will power. The patches just take the edge off.

If you go to the doctors or pharmacist, you will get a months supply of patches for one prescription charge.

So you will pay £7.20 instead of anywhere between £25-£40.

So patches are cheaper than smoking.

Andy
05-12-10, 08:55 PM
So you will pay £7.20 instead of anywhere between £25-£40.

So patches are cheaper than smoking.
Nope,i can get a 50g pouch of samsons finest for £6 lol

TeddyThom
05-12-10, 09:00 PM
Nope,i can get a 50g pouch of samsons finest for £6 lol

FPMSL!!

Yeah I can't be bothered with the patches and crap, (and to be honest I can get baccy cheap if I wanted!! lol) I shall do it, one day, I'm hoping I can just get up one day and think feck that, I can't be arsed with it anymore! I'm almost there though

mowgli
05-12-10, 09:02 PM
I'm almost there though

one single comment that says you aren't.....

Rickardo
05-12-10, 09:06 PM
As a smoker, there will always be an excuse NOT to quit.

I had hundreds,

Its wet, cold, my cat died, yadda yadda yadda.

Trust me, you have to really try to quit.

If they invented a safe cigarette to smoke, i'd fire the patches in the bin and go buy a 1000 of the suckers.

I loved every minute of it.

Tanya.
05-12-10, 09:11 PM
FPMSL!!

Yeah I can't be bothered with the patches and crap, (and to be honest I can get baccy cheap if I wanted!! lol) I shall do it, one day, I'm hoping I can just get up one day and think feck that, I can't be arsed with it anymore! I'm almost there though
You need more than "hoping" :p Good luck though, with some determination and for the right reasons you'll get there :)

Royston
05-12-10, 09:11 PM
My dad gave up just before I was born, use to admit to 40 a day (was probably nearer 60+) just went cold turkey, I'm 43 and my dad, I am please to say is alive and well at 81:eek:

No patches no nowt, I wish you well in giving up, it has never appealed to me, I have tried it, but only when drunk, another vice I haven't given uplol

steviegsi
05-12-10, 09:19 PM
I smoke about 15-20 a day. No intentions of giving up any time soon as it one of very few things that puts a smile on my face.... Plus as others have said I'd end up a big fat roly poly if I stopped!

Good luck with stopping though mate, as it is a f*cking stupid thing to be doing lol.

Lee H
05-12-10, 09:27 PM
Never have done and never will do. Spend far too much on beer, food and cars to have another expensive hobby.

Mike
05-12-10, 09:36 PM
Luckily for me I barely drink anything alcoholic lol so saves some money that like. My other hobby is collecting hard to find sets of alloy wheels lol lol

Jack
05-12-10, 09:52 PM
Your just biast. Jack....honest opinion please lol
No comment lol

Anayway, this is a good reason not to smoke

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs417.snc3/25120_372608738884_667958884_4956373_4423197_n.jpg

And before anyone mentions it Lee I'm well aware my cancer wasn't caused by smoking BUT because I was long off them (used to smoke the occasional rollup back in my student days but didn't get addicted in the first place) before starting my treatment I was able to have a more effective/shorter course of therapy instead of dragging it out longer and running the risk of permanent lung damage.

Believe me, its not the lung cancer you want to worry about, its the other random ones that crop up - and treatment of them - you should be concerned with

[edit] BTW, that on the lower right is a tube going direct into my abdomen to drain skadge out :)

Hayley
05-12-10, 10:20 PM
No comment lol

:eek:

Hoochie
05-12-10, 10:29 PM
I have been stopped for 2 years, i used to smoke 20+ a day, i just woke up one day and decided that i could find better things to spend £350 a month on!!
Went to the doctor to see about quitting and i got my patches for night time and inhalator for through the day, i was told that patches do not always agree with everyone and soon found out that this was the case for me.
I was having bizarre dreams so after 3 nights i quit the patches( sold the remaining boxes on fleabay).
I can honestly say that the inhalator was brilliant and after 2 weeks i binned that too.
Will power is a must and if your heart is not completely in it then you will fail!!

Good luck....:)

draper
05-12-10, 10:30 PM
ive never smoked (wouldnt be able to afford my drink hobby if i did) but have grew up around smokers and ALL my friends smoke. the smoking ban effected me the most when it came into force as everyone would suddenly get up and go outside or feel the need to take turns so i wasnt alone lol

Alex J
06-12-10, 08:51 AM
i gave up when mrs merris was up the duff, id rather spend the money on my little girl than a dirty cancer stick!!

Southie
06-12-10, 11:28 AM
I started smoking at 15. I've given up for 8 months before, but went out on the lash with a few mates for my 21st birthday and I started again (now 34).

Feck that's scary 19 years of smoking, and also in my early twentys was a cannabis smoker but gave that up because I prefered the beer... and still do and haven't touch the green shiit for 10 years ;)

I tend to find I smoke more if I'm bored tbh, I cannot smoke at work anymore so I've cut down loads more these days, also smoke roll ups as normal fags were costing shiitloads.

Oh and if people say smoking stunts your growth, your probably right lol

TeddyThom
06-12-10, 05:46 PM
No patches no nowt, I wish you well in giving up, it has never appealed to me, I have tried it, but only when drunk, another vice I haven't given uplol

Thanks man :thumb:

Shame someone else can't wish me luck like you have, not naming any names though Mowgli...

pikey1986
06-12-10, 06:40 PM
I started smoking at 15. I've given up for 8 months before, but went out on the lash with a few mates for my 21st birthday and I started again (now 34).

Feck that's scary 19 years of smoking, and also in my early twentys was a cannabis smoker but gave that up because I prefered the beer... and still do and haven't touch the green shiit for 10 years ;)

I tend to find I smoke more if I'm bored tbh, I cannot smoke at work anymore so I've cut down loads more these days, also smoke roll ups as normal fags were costing shiitloads.

Oh and if people say smoking stunts your growth, your probably right lol

i started smoking at 14, im now 24 and 6ft6ish lol

Spudly
06-12-10, 06:47 PM
Lol at comments of it stunting your growth, i smoked between ten and twenty a day since being eleven, i decided i was fed up of coughing shoite up in a morning and being skint/stinking horribly, and i actually quit at the same time as Lee did, two years ago this december, if you want to do it then you will stop, simple as, it is hard but if you really want to do it then you will!

Southie
06-12-10, 06:49 PM
i started smoking at 14, im now 24 and 6ft6ish lol
So was I until I hit 30 lol