PDA

View Full Version : quaife atb

nevidred
05-12-10, 12:43 PM
quaife diff any good in the forest ???? what are your thoughts ???

Steve0011
05-12-10, 01:58 PM
register here http://www.britishrally.co.uk/forum/index.php and ask in technical :thumb:

nevidred
05-12-10, 03:46 PM
thanks for the addvise Steve but it wont allow my email address so i cant register ??? so back to square one then

MattBrown
05-12-10, 05:05 PM
I would say no use tbh.

You want a 90% plate diff for the woods.

A gripper or ATB one?

nevidred
05-12-10, 05:26 PM
thanks Matt when you say ATB do you mean automatic touque bias as thats what the quaife is ???

Steve0011
05-12-10, 07:02 PM
just had a search on rally forum

its all a bit divided, however, most seem to prefer a plated diff on gravel and atb on tarmac

hope this helps :)

nevidred
05-12-10, 07:46 PM
thanks Steve gratfull of your help but if anyone else is interested quaife diff on ebay No 260702986445

djbrowney
05-12-10, 07:54 PM
contact steve boy slim for a plated gripper diff :)

satchellm
06-12-10, 12:43 PM
yeah its a right pain,in the end i had to use my works address!

thanks for the addvise Steve but it wont allow my email address so i cant register ??? so back to square one then

Dan
08-12-10, 07:48 AM
Or just contact Tom Seal himself at Gripper, great bloke to talk to and will set the diff up to your exact requirements before sending it out!!

steveboyslim
08-12-10, 08:29 AM
quaife diff any good in the forest ???? what are your thoughts ???

Quaife are good, fit and forget, they do not completely lock so you have some steering control where as with a plate diff locks the axle/driveshafts soilid, better traction, but with a front wheel drive car often more understeer.
Takes alot of getting use to.
If you break a driveshaft, plate diff is better, you will be able to limp back to a service point.

Steve

nevidred
09-12-10, 09:41 PM
Thanks steve i understand how they work and have driven both types but neither on loose.
Ive done a bit of sprinting but now i think its time to go into the forest i think a plate type diff is probally more suitable but i also like the no maintanace of the quaife.
thanks for your help

Dayle_
13-12-10, 03:46 PM
I too would recommend a gripper diff for in the forest and don't worry about the normal noise on full lock setting off from a junction its awful but normal from a gripper diff (sounds like the box is about to explode clunking and banging)

Quaife ATB are ok but would not really recommend for forest, also I wouldn't really touch any of there stuff anymore the quality of products really seem to have dropped since sub contracting alot of work to China and the likes.

Used both makes of diff and would recommend the gripper but that’s my personal preference but a good q atb is lack of maintanance.

SR-Rally
13-12-10, 08:08 PM
deffinately a plated diff. i use zf45% plated diff in road rally car and have a hockley 90% for the stage car (forest) although i've just acquired rally car with a straight cut box with hockley diff.

and a friend has atb in his corsa, and i dont rate it at all :)

C612DNM
14-12-10, 11:07 PM
I'd go with that. Plate or a gripper on the loose, you need bite! On tarmac, a gripper of a plate over 50% will be a belated trip to the ditch.

ATB's are great on tarmac if you can left foot brake properly too [whilst keeping the power on ;) ]

Dan
15-12-10, 07:45 AM
plates are fine on the black stuff, i have only ever ran the gripper type purely because personally i am not the greatest fan of the atb (tried both over the years)

I ran the gripper in a road car with occasional track use no problems for a few years, and now only that type in my track only car. Again personally i wouldnt use anything else, but then ive had the gripper type in my builds for quite a few years so I would probably be biased lol lol