PDA

View Full Version : novas

Rich
03-12-10, 11:32 PM
why do we love them?

mine owes me a lot of money, i want to give it up bit still find my self buying more and more parts? i really dont understand it.

Paul
03-12-10, 11:36 PM
something about the rusty pieces of sh*t aint there!!!

88ESR
03-12-10, 11:38 PM
why do we love them?

mine owes me a lot of money, i want to give it up bit still find my self buying more and more parts? i really dont understand it.

The reason I keep coming back is pure nostalgia..

I was lucky enough to be there when they arrived in 83..

Worked on them, owned several, drove hundreds..

I have a long list of projects I'd like to own/do but the Nova remains at the top..

(Or certainly up there along with the Allegro/Samba Rallye/Yugo)....!

Andy
03-12-10, 11:40 PM
Why do we love them,hmmi dunno,i think for some of us its a 1st car/youth summer thing.
Lets not forget,when spent on (haha LOL) theyre decent cars around b roads and tracks as proven before and the fun to be had is brilliant both building and enjoying lol
Anyone who says their sh1t is ghay-Yes even you Mike lol lol lol

Rich
03-12-10, 11:45 PM
it was my first proper car, so i think tyhats why. But even driving new vauxhalls, i always think, a nova is lighter and would be quicker with this engine lol

L33 LEG
03-12-10, 11:48 PM
I don't like them as much as i used to but no other car on the road makes you smile as much when you see them. They are the ultimate 'boyracer' car from our time and to see them now in usually such nice condition makes it worthwhile being a lover.

Mine however is more like a child. No matter how much i get bored of it or whatever i can't just get rid lol Luckily at the moment im not spending money at it so can just sit there until whenever i decide to.

mk1nova_rich
03-12-10, 11:51 PM
Yep, theyre seriously addictive... I wouldn't mind but I used to hate the bloody things lol

gary_126
04-12-10, 12:31 AM
Yep, ALWAYS wanted one as a first car. After a corsa b, and a mk4 astra i finally got into nova ownership at 19.

Built my current one from a bare shell, done the shows, changed the spec slightly each winter for 4 years, told myself after i "finnished" it, got the feature, drove the ring, it would go into storage, and id move on from nova's, the hastle, and the stigma of owning a "modified" 80's shopping car lmao....

But i find myself looking at them for sale, parts etc etc
I have to say, it always surprised me how many people comented on it, whether because they hadnt seen one in a long time, or somebody they knew had one.

I dont think theres any other car model like it for its die hard following.

What age are the members on here? Im 25

bazil
04-12-10, 12:41 AM
The average age of the png members is around 24.5

the age gap is incredible on here, some lads are still at school and recently a member informed us he's became a grandad twice lol

I hate killing novas, killed my first ( B reg SR ) and couldn't do it to my GTE or my GSI so I kept them, now I wish I didn't as I need to rebuild 2 of the f*****s lol

gary_126
04-12-10, 01:23 AM
yes, i have alot of respect for you fixing the gsi bazil! Far too many novas have been scrapped for such minor repairs in the past.

yellowsrnova
04-12-10, 03:41 AM
i never owned another car lol
4 years i've been driving i have had 9 nova's
stuck now have 3 at the minute
i'l probly keep them one of each
sport 85 mk1
sr 88 mk1.5
sri 92 mk2

but do own another car now
nova's rot quicker over the winter lol
more money

Ernie
04-12-10, 08:04 AM
ive been into them since i was 18 and got my first a 1.3 sr. I did move away after about 2 years of ownership(new job more money) to a clio 1.8 rsi which was 4 years old and from a renault forcourt.That was the biggest heap ive ever bought and i also shelled out 6K for it.
This was sold a few months into ownership and was replaced by a Nova gsi in diamond black and ive been buying them ever since.
So to date im now 35 and been Nova less for over a year (first time in a long time) but still find myself looking in auto trader and Ebay just incase.
Bloody stupid rust buckets.

Mieran
04-12-10, 08:30 AM
I honestly don't know

If I was rich I would probably have tens of them lol

Edd
04-12-10, 08:35 AM
Very very addictive little things lol

I've had a fair few over the years

Awesome drive IMO lots more enjoyable than alot of modern day cars

Southie
04-12-10, 09:18 AM
I don't like them, its just my daily lol

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 01:01 PM
i love my nova's ive had as i allways wanted a sr then when i first drove mine at 15 i fell in love ive driven many cars but still love my nova to peices!!!

bainyboy sr
04-12-10, 01:34 PM
lol its cos there so cool i ended up with one for my first car as my mum use to have one years back and she recomended buying one as they were cheap to fix lol , i got my first nova when i was 16 for £50 they bring back the childhood lol im now 25 and still have one ha ha think ive had 12

Rob
04-12-10, 01:42 PM
i been driving 10 years in Jan and have always had at least 1 nova,a few years ago after selling my gte i sat there and and tought i REALLY NEED another lol and ever since then ive had a minimum of 2 at any one time lol

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 01:43 PM
ive never been novalss either since 15 lol

krobinson
04-12-10, 01:43 PM
I've always liked them from a young age. I'm 28 in May and will have owned about 12 and still own two. My father has his antibes too and absolutely loves it.

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 01:44 PM
i think most off us liked them from young i allways loved sr's and nova's as long as i can remeber lol

Mike
04-12-10, 01:46 PM
Didnt really bother me getting rid of mine. Only time Id even consider owning another would be for a full on restro jobbie on a nice GTE in that funny orangy purply colour.

Joe Richardson
04-12-10, 01:50 PM
been brought up around Ford rs's all my life through my dad,but always liked nova's when i saw them at modified car shows and in the magazines,and when i was learning to drive last year i found my sr on pistonheads and i had to have it,since then i have never looked back,and i hope i have it for a very long time:)

I tell you,when im out in the summer in the sr,people will look at the car more than any other expensive brand new car on the road,most modern cars now are ****e and they look the same and are worthless when there 3 years old ect.
the buzz you get from it is great :thumb: :d

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 01:54 PM
i love the attention my sr's have always got people stoping you ect just to ask about the car lol!!

Rich
04-12-10, 02:01 PM
lol can feel the love in here

I got my first when i was 17, 6k 1 old lady owned minter. sold it when i was 19 after putting a 2ltr in it as i felt i wanted an upgrade. got a mk2 astra gte which i loved, but then decided to buy another nova, and a donor calibra which was the start of my let build. im 23 now

Owned an 1.4sr for about a week, was rotton, well beyond what i would be capable of repairing. a h reg gsi, which i put a 2lter in, but was pulling itself apart so stipped it and scrapped it.

i would never go back to one as a daily now ive got my gsi though, much much better car to drive

bainyboy sr
04-12-10, 02:10 PM
people shout oldskool at me when i have mine out lol i will always have a nova even if i sell my current one il end up with a nova lol
NOVAS ARE A WAY OF LIFE !!!!

mowgli
04-12-10, 02:12 PM
been brought up around Ford rs's all my life through my dad,but always liked nova's when i saw them at modified car shows and in the magazines,and when i was learning to drive last year i found my sr on pistonheads and i had to have it,since then i have never looked back,and i hope i have it for a very long time:)

I tell you,when im out in the summer in the sr,people will look at the car more than any other expensive brand new car on the road,most modern cars now are ****e and they look the same and are worthless when there 3 years old ect.
the buzz you get from it is great :thumb: :d

thats cos they think you are going to burgle them later, so they want to get a good look so they can tell the police

Joe Richardson
04-12-10, 02:17 PM
thats cos they think you are going to burgle them later, so they want to get a good look so they can tell the police

lol

Rich
04-12-10, 02:19 PM
SR nova, driving like a joyrider lol

Joe Richardson
04-12-10, 02:23 PM
SR nova, driving like a joyrider lol

The streets lol

i dont drive mine like a joyrider :cool:

Edd
04-12-10, 02:26 PM
Didnt really bother me getting rid of mine. Only time Id even consider owning another would be for a full on restro jobbie on a nice GTE in that funny orangy purply colour.
lol lol lol I knew 'Mr I hate nova's' but regularly post on a nova forum would reply lol lol lol

You must have some good experiences with nova's tho surely ?

Mike
04-12-10, 02:47 PM
lol lol lol I knew 'Mr I hate nova's' but regularly post on a nova forum would reply lol lol lol

You must have some good experiences with nova's tho surely ?

Oh god yea I got some good memorys, when I was about 18 I pulled a parking meter out the floor doing the worlds biggest burnout in a SR lol

Edd
04-12-10, 02:52 PM
Didn't you have a T40'd flame thrower as well ?

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 02:53 PM
i dont really drive my sr like a joyrider either i do give her a little bit off abuse at times though but mainly just play on straigts in her as i dont want to risk crashing her!! this is why i need a corsa b with a xe in then i can get my fav old sticker put on it drive it like you stole it lol!!!

Mike
04-12-10, 03:07 PM

Yeah that thing was awesome, it was a T40'd motor from a rally car, pretty high spec but it died a death :(

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 03:11 PM

sounds like my kind off nova lol

Andy
04-12-10, 03:56 PM
i dont really drive my sr like a joyrider either i do give her a little bit off abuse at times though but mainly just play on straigts in her as i dont want to risk crashing her!! this is why i need a corsa b with a xe in then i can get my fav old sticker put on it drive it like you stole it lol!!!
Ive always thrashed the knackers off all mine,thats the point in having one??? if i want a sensible,economic drive,i'll take my astra 1300 cdti.
If i wanna go balls out on some b roads i take the nova out.
We all hammer them,just theres a time and a place for it.Best drive i ever did was a 5am thrash in my 2litre Xe in summer,empty b roads are brilliant and its perfect visibility.Then came home and had a full english and washed it.

Andy
04-12-10, 03:57 PM
Yeah that thing was awesome, it was a T40'd motor from a rally car, pretty high spec but it died a death :(
That was Bowyer'd wasnt it??

Mike
04-12-10, 04:14 PM
That was Bowyer'd wasnt it??

Was originally yeah, but I had it from a rally car that was being broken for parts. £850 it cost just for the engine (no box like). Dropped it into my at the time K reg shell with no strengthening an it split the chassis in a few weeks an twisted the cross member a little lol lol

Edd
04-12-10, 04:23 PM
Did you know the bhp of it Mike ?

SR-Rally
04-12-10, 04:26 PM
i've got a soft spot for nova's. i've owned 11 so far although most have just been to split. i have 2 and a half right now (A reg 1300 sr rally car, G reg gte grp N stage car, and nova sport shell with engine and few odds and sodds) and i'm going to look at a white mk1 gte tonight :) although that will be split

Mike
04-12-10, 05:12 PM
Did you know the bhp of it Mike ?

I did have a RR printout with it but its in the loft with all my other motorsport memoriblia & homologation papers etc. It was fooking quick, gave a Cupra R a right good run for its money (my mates dad bought one new when they were on waiting list orders)

Unfortunatly Ive got no proper pics of it, point & shot digi cams were still like £100 then.

Jack
04-12-10, 05:33 PM
I love to hate them

I never really had any affinity for them when I was younger either, they were kev cars back then. Only reason I had one to begin with was my parents made me buy my sisters Merit for some extortionate price.

The saloon came up at the right time, plus if I had something French I don't think I could convince Lee to work on it lol Although tbh I wouldn't faff around with it so much. I think the Nova has one or two things more I want to look into before getting rid and moving on - tbh I probably won't replace it with another one.

dj_wudgey
04-12-10, 05:38 PM
Ive always thrashed the knackers off all mine,thats the point in having one??? if i want a sensible,economic drive,i'll take my astra 1300 cdti.
If i wanna go balls out on some b roads i take the nova out.
We all hammer them,just theres a time and a place for it.Best drive i ever did was a 5am thrash in my 2litre Xe in summer,empty b roads are brilliant and its perfect visibility.Then came home and had a full english and washed it.

im just paraniod after smashing my first sr! dont want this one to follow that fate so im carefull with it and barely use it!! i want something to kill everywhere aswell though a base model nova or a corsa be with a xe would be fine lol

Mieran
04-12-10, 05:40 PM
Rich, take your nova off form the for sale section and get it finished!

c20let is too much hassle, just put any engine in!

gary_126
04-12-10, 06:56 PM
I had a nordic blue 1.2 merit when i was 11. At the bottom of the field infront of my house is a disused railway line (tracks were lifted in the 60's) So we used to all have cars for driving about there. It also ran 20 yards from my primary school.:d So when i saved up my change and got £4 of petrol, id take the car to school lmao Ah good times!:thumb:

Mieran
04-12-10, 06:59 PM
I had a nordic blue 1.2 merit when i was 11. At the bottom of the field infront of my house is a disused railway line (tracks were lifted in the 60's) So we used to all have cars for driving about there. It also ran 20 yards from my primary school.:d So when i saved up my change and got £4 of petrol, id take the car to school lmao Ah good times!:thumb:

lollollol:thumb:

Cle
04-12-10, 07:03 PM
I acually hate novas !!!! get to pick my new one up soon :d lollollollol

Balley
04-12-10, 07:08 PM
Liked them from around the age of 12... Wanted one as a first car and got one..

Am on my third now and treat her like my child.. we have ups and down but I would never get rid of her!

Am now 19 and have mine off the road while the winter is here but can't wait for next spring so we can go on our travels again!! :)

waynes sri
04-12-10, 07:29 PM
i just think great to drive such head turners and there a great shape sporty looking and dont really look that dated...ill always see them and smile

Connor
04-12-10, 07:35 PM
I am currently on my third, and funny this thread has came up as the first time in nearly 2 years of driving, it has let me down and wont start.
Still love it though, couldnt imagine having anything else aswell tbh.
Am wanting to get something abit more modern and better on fuel for hacking around in. Just love having something abit different, and love it when the older generation come up to you and tell stories of them having them as first cars back in the day and what crazy stuff they got up to

Elstro1988
05-12-10, 08:17 AM
I dunno why I love them so much - when I was 11-12 I had no interest in them and thought they were 'yoof' cars. I used to be into BL stuff like mad, until my parents bought my MkII more-door as a surprise early 18th birthday present...the rest they say is history.

A few guys I knew also had them back then, but mostly I got, and still do with JB, the utter sh1t ripped out of me by snobby gits for having a sh!tty old 80s banger - like this guy from Norwich (the Clio driving queen who pays chavs to punch him for pleasure) who basically rejoiced in my breaking down...

I never get people approaching my car and telling me about their old Novas...mostly I just get angry glares and tailgating from 4x4 owners....but I do live in Cambridge lol

AlanH
05-12-10, 05:21 PM
always been a huge fan, had a 13sr and a 1.0 when i was 16 but both turned out to be waaaay more rotten than i anticipated, kept away from them until i was 20 then got my current one with a 1.4sr engine in, drove it for about 3 weeks then got bored, stripped and rebuilt it with an xe and lots of new panels etc, did pv09 and drove it for a few months then decided i was bored again so pulled it back apart, now has a LET in. had it coming up 4 years and its only been on the road just under 3 months altogether lol like no other car to drive though, love it

LEWI007
05-12-10, 05:48 PM
always been a huge fan, had a 13sr and a 1.0 when i was 16 but both turned out to be waaaay more rotten than i anticipated, kept away from them until i was 20 then got my current one with a 1.4sr engine in, drove it for about 3 weeks then got bored, stripped and rebuilt it with an xe and lots of new panels etc, did pv09 and drove it for a few months then decided i was bored again so pulled it back apart, now has a LET in. had it coming up 4 years and its only been on the road just under 3 months altogether lol like no other car to drive though, love it

Get your finger out and lets get it painted and back on the road :p

Rich
05-12-10, 05:59 PM
Rich, take your nova off form the for sale section and get it finished!

c20let is too much hassle, just put any engine in!

LET is the only way forward, had xe novas/corsa/astras before, not quick enough lol

Tommy_nova
05-12-10, 06:13 PM
Defo a young age love for them that sticks with you even tho they rust and take all you money.. i couldnt see myself without one.. first nova i went in was a white Gsi own by a friends mum and dad i was 5 years old at the time 13 years later i bought that car lol loved it and never gone back..

Tommy

dj_wudgey
05-12-10, 10:53 PM
I dunno why I love them so much - when I was 11-12 I had no interest in them and thought they were 'yoof' cars. I used to be into BL stuff like mad, until my parents bought my MkII more-door as a surprise early 18th birthday present...the rest they say is history.

A few guys I knew also had them back then, but mostly I got, and still do with JB, the utter sh1t ripped out of me by snobby gits for having a sh!tty old 80s banger - like this guy from Norwich (the Clio driving queen who pays chavs to punch him for pleasure) who basically rejoiced in my breaking down...

I never get people approaching my car and telling me about their old Novas...mostly I just get angry glares and tailgating from 4x4 owners....but I do live in Cambridge lol

i get people stoping me and going on about thier old nova's ect ect i get more good coments than bad!! obviously my mates have a dig about it but we all take ths p*ss out off each other's cars!!

and also ill never be without a sr! i may buy other cars but ill allways keep and love my sr ill probs buy another sr or 2 aswell lol!!